Engine choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine choices

As the Test in the West draws closer, I'm sure we'll be hearing about more solide choices on engine/chasis packages. According to this article, Treadway/Schmidt looks to be considering the Infiniti.
    http://www.racingone.com/article.asp?artnum=11707

After all of the hype over teams switching to the Infiniti last year at Texas, will we see many more teams in the fold? Will Chevy dominate the field (numbers and results) as the Olds did?
    All Roads Lead to Indy...

If only two teams select the Infiniti, then yes, the Chevy will dominate. Get that ratio up to 1/3 teams or higher using the Infiniti and it's a different story.

jmart

Comment

I still haven't seen any evidence that Infiniti has solved their third largest problem - one of supply. They never have showed that they can get engines to their few teams that were using their engines - let along add a lot of new customers.

BTW: IMO opinion, their first two problems were:
      1. Too heavy (at least in version 1)
      2. Frank Honsowitz

Professor Joe
      Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Comment

The article says that Sam will use Speedway engines and then goes on to say something about Treadway looking at Infifiti, I can't see two cars from the same shop using differend makes of engines The post confirming Salazar will be with Foyt(ugh)says that he will use the Chevy, I hope he doesn't use Roush anymore.

Joe, the 35A is also at least 35 pounds lighter. Trust in TWR to have enough engines to support whoever chooses to use them. The one thing they haven't announced is a list of approved builders as of yet, I wonder if they will do it all in-house?

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie:
          <STRONG>Joe, the 35A is also at least 35 pounds lighter. Trust in TWR to have enough engines to support whoever chooses to use them. The one thing they haven't announced is a list of approved builders as of yet, I wonder if they will do it all in-house?</STRONG>
          Infiniti has solved the first two problems. Now we have to wait and see if they have solved the third....

Professor Joe
          Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Comment

<STRONG>
            The one thing they haven't announced is a list of approved builders as of yet, I wonder if they will do it all in-house?</STRONG>
            TWR is the approved builder. Infiniti is the manufacturer. If you wanted an engine you would call Infiniti and they would hook you up with an approved builder(TWR).
            "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
            Vice President, Marketing
            IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

did you have any luck getting them to use your cams? It was my understanding that TWR was running the program for tham in much the same way as Honsowitz/Pink did, only better.

Comment

Cahill will be using Comptech engines again.

Comment

did you have any luck getting them to use your cams? not yet.

It was my understanding that TWR was running the program for tham in much the same way as Honsowitz/Pink did, only better.Look at Infiniti/TWR like Oldsmobile/Katech in '97. Katech did most of the development for GM, but they were classified as an approved builder. TWR may have free reign on development, I don't know. When Pink was doing the development, Infiniti had control over every move that was made.

J. Michael Ringham

Comment

Infinity has to get over the hump of only having one or two teams. How do they do it?

Comment

Originally posted by IndyJim:
                      <STRONG>Infinity has to get over the hump of only having one or two teams. How do they do it?</STRONG>
                      They have gone to a few teams this off-season and offered them some really good deals to run their engines. We will have to wait and see who will take them up on it.

J. Michael Ringham

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X