Eddie Gossage was pushing for NASCAR/Indycar Double header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Gossage was pushing for NASCAR/Indycar Double header

I'm kinda surprised by this, but apparently TMS has pitched an Indycar/NASCAR double header before.

EDDIE GOSSAGE: IndyCar and NASCAR together would be very desirable. It would be exciting, and I’d want to try it. I’ve brought it up on a number of other occasions before and it’s been shot down by the folks at NASCAR. But I think there’s a different management running things at NASCAR now, and it’s something that I’m going to run up the flagpole again to see if there’s any interest. That would be a spectacular weekend. The argument has always been ‘this series doesn’t want to be compared to that series’, but I’ve never heard that. I’ve just been told no, we run NASCAR races, and that’s what we run on that weekend. But I think it’s still worth a shot, because I saw where [NASCAR President] Steve Phelps said that they’d be open to talking about it. I’ve got to be honest, when I read that I felt like he was talking to me because we’ve broached the subject so many times before.
    https://racer.com/2019/03/07/insight...ndycar-race/2/

Honestly I'd rather see a California double header in March rather than combing an already successful Indycar race with a NASCAR race, but I think an Indycar/NASCAR double header would be a good way to get an oval or two back on the schedule, or maybe keep Pocono alive.

Originally posted by Aeron View Post
    I'm kinda surprised by this, but apparently TMS has pitched an Indycar/NASCAR double header before.

https://racer.com/2019/03/07/insight...ndycar-race/2/

Honestly I'd rather see a California double header in March rather than combing an already successful Indycar race with a NASCAR race, but I think an Indycar/NASCAR double header would be a good way to get an oval or two back on the schedule, or maybe keep Pocono alive.
    It would make a lot of sense to bring these 2 series together for a few races.Any race track would be fine by me.

Comment

I think it’s a great idea and it would certaintly appeal to me. I’m not really into NASCAR but if they are at the same track on the same weekend then why not - I’d have the opportunity to try it out as a spectator and see what it’s like
      Memories of Indy 2012:
      ZUL8TR: "I'm sorry Joel, are we keeping you?"

abc -
      Your home for Indycar on Network TV, where race commentary is delivered as if reading the lunch menu in a rest home. God bless you Marty, Eddy, and Scott, there are few as soporific as you.

Comment

If it was such a great idea somebody would have done it by now. The truth is nobody but Eddie is wiling to bring it up because everybody else knows it won't work, neither series is really interested and nobody wants to force the issue and take the risk. Eddie brigs up something that isn't going to happen so that he looks like a visionary knowing full well he'll never have to make it happen.

NASCAR runs either the Trucks or Xfinity or both as support races for Cup, that's what they do everywhere. So is the track going to wedge an Indycar race, practice and qualifying into an already crowded weekend or is the track going to give up on of their NASCAR support races? Does he believe he would sell more tickets for a Friday night or Saturday Indycar race than he does for Trucks or Xfinity? How much more is Eddie going to charge for a season ticket or the individual days to cover the cost of adding the Indycar race?

If you look at the paltry crowds NASCAR gets for qualifying on Friday and the low attendance there is for the Saturday races what would make any track think that more people would actually buy tickets for the Indycar race on either of those days and how many NASCAR fans would really stick around? Every track owner or president has seen the oval track attendance in the last 10 years, and if they go back farther they can probably look at video and point us out individually at Milwaukee, Michigan, Kansas, Chicagoland.
        "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
        "They're criminals"
        "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

It won't appeal to the diehard fans, but I can see it bringing in some casual fans who aren't really invested into either series. They can sample different types of racing. That being said most ovals are further away from the city, so those type of fans might not show up even if they had both Indycar and NASCAR on the same weekend.

Comment

What they should do is run qualifying for both on the first day, and races for both on the second day - one races int he afternoon, the other take the teatime into evening slot, and swap around at different venues
            Memories of Indy 2012:
            ZUL8TR: "I'm sorry Joel, are we keeping you?"

abc -
            Your home for Indycar on Network TV, where race commentary is delivered as if reading the lunch menu in a rest home. God bless you Marty, Eddy, and Scott, there are few as soporific as you.

Comment

I'm confused. Eddie already has the trucks (which is NASCAR) on a Friday night and IndyCar on Saturday night. That's not a NASCAR/IndyCar doubleheader?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat00 View Post
                I'm confused. Eddie already has the trucks (which is NASCAR) on a Friday night and IndyCar on Saturday night. That's not a NASCAR/IndyCar doubleheader?
                The Cup Series and Indycar
                "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Z28 View Post
                  If it was such a great idea somebody would have done it by now. The truth is nobody but Eddie is wiling to bring it up because everybody else knows it won't work, neither series is really interested and nobody wants to force the issue and take the risk. Eddie brigs up something that isn't going to happen so that he looks like a visionary knowing full well he'll never have to make it happen.

NASCAR runs either the Trucks or Xfinity or both as support races for Cup, that's what they do everywhere. So is the track going to wedge an Indycar race, practice and qualifying into an already crowded weekend or is the track going to give up on of their NASCAR support races? Does he believe he would sell more tickets for a Friday night or Saturday Indycar race than he does for Trucks or Xfinity? How much more is Eddie going to charge for a season ticket or the individual days to cover the cost of adding the Indycar race?

If you look at the paltry crowds NASCAR gets for qualifying on Friday and the low attendance there is for the Saturday races what would make any track think that more people would actually buy tickets for the Indycar race on either of those days and how many NASCAR fans would really stick around? Every track owner or president has seen the oval track attendance in the last 10 years, and if they go back farther they can probably look at video and point us out individually at Milwaukee, Michigan, Kansas, Chicagoland.
                  NASCAR triple headers are not the rule. When they are, typically the trucks race Friday. Sat/Sun for Xfinity/Monster.

Even so, I don't think Eddie or anyone has the idea of a NASCAR double/triple header plus IndyCars.
                  Road/street weekends fit in 4-5 series. Admittedly the support series races are generally 1 hr or less.

Phoenix track session schedule:
                  FRI
                  11:35 AM - 12:25 PM Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series 1st Practice
                  1:05 PM - 1:55 PM NASCAR Xfinity
                  4:10 PM MENCS Qualifying (multi-vehicle / 3 rounds)
                  SAT
                  9:35 AM - 10:25 AM Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series 2nd Practice
                  12:05 PM - 12:55 PM MENCS Final Practice
                  2:00 PM iK9 Service Dog 200, NASCAR Xfinity Series Race (200 laps / 200 miles)
                  SUN
                  12:30 PM TicketGuardian 500, Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Race (312 laps / 312 miles)

Seems like a lot of down time in there.
                  BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

I'd like to see a Cup/Indycar doubleheader at a track some weekend.
                    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

Originally posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
                      I'd like to see a Cup/Indycar doubleheader at a track some weekend.
                      Agreed, good way to get a oval back on the schedule.. Michigan, Fontana, Chicagoland, Atlanta, Charlotte etc
                      "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Given the desire for an oval before Indy I'd recommend ISM, Fontana or Texas spring Cup weekends. Obviously moving the Texas IndyCar date is the most logical given the thread topic, but I think a March 400 miler at Fontana would be a great add. If they could figure out a better aero package of course I'd love to get them back to Phoenix, especially given that this weekend would be a fantastic opportunity for me to pair a race with a spring training game. I did just that last year hitting the Saturday Xfinity race and then a game on Sunday(we didn't even realize until we arrived in PHX that it was NASCAR weekend).
                        "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Yes. Eddie knows his stuff.

Certainly IMSA/Indycar too.

Comment

I think the idea has merit and should be tried at least once. I’m a senior, but open to change. Both series are attendance challenged, even after every NASCAR track has reduced seating capacity, so partnering up to try to improve the revenue for both parties is fine by me. A residual benefit could be getting the stock car crowd interested in open wheel. If it works at Texas, could possibly be the catalyst by which open wheel returns to Michigan or Fontana, or others.

Comment

I don't think total attendance would be higher, but the operating expenses for the track would be lower, as they'd only have to be open for one weekend instead of two.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X