Marco, what's holding him back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marco, what's holding him back?

I know there’s been lots of various discussions on here about Marco over the years. While I’m an Indy car fan, I don’t’ live on here like many, so please, accept I may not have read absolutely everything that’s been said about him. I want to pose a question about him and his future.

I think it’s fair to say, that given his record over the 13 full season’s he’s competed, his record has been fair, but not outstanding in any way. His average Championship finishing position is about 10th, which seems about right as that (gut feel, not calculated) seems to be about his average race finishing position too. He’s a sold mid field guy allowing for part timers and retirements. I think it’s also fair to say that if it weren’t for his name and the sponsorship attracting juggernaut that is the Andretti name and team, he wouldn’t still be in Indy car as a full time driver.

Now, on a personal level, I neither root for him, not against him with one exception. The one race I always root for him (and others) is the 500. I would like nothing more, especially this year, for an Andretti to drink the milk in May.

What I’m asking is, what’s his ‘issue’ I’ve seen, heard and read many people over the year talk about his amazing natural talent and what he can do with a car. I recall I think it was the old Rob Smedly podcast where he used to talk to a driver coach who coaches various top line drivers including Kimi Raikkonen and Marco. I can’t remember the guy’s name, but he always talked about how Marco had some of the best natural car control he’d ever seen. So why doesn’t Marco seem to perform at a higher level with more frequency? He does show flashes of brilliance like Detroit last year, and frequently does a great job at Indy. What’s holding him back? Does he psych himself out? Does he lack confidence in his own abilities? Does he lack that last ounce of bloody minded F. You selfishness that’s needed to win.

So, he’s now bought into the team and at 31 I doubt he’s anywhere near hanging up his helmet. Will this allow him to understand the bigger picture and improve his on track performance? Or is this just hedging against the future to enter the full time management as he knows his days are running out?

As I say, I’m not anti the guy, I just don’t understand why someone that seems to have it all and the natural talent doesn’t deliver more consistently. Honestly looking for opinion not judgement here.

TIA.

I don't think he has the personal drive his Father or Grandfather had.....and once he went down the path of racing, it became a chore for him. He "makes" good money, so he probably figures it's not a bad career for a guy who has no college degree at this point.
    2012 Races: St.Pete, Indianapolis and THE MILWAUKEE MILE!!!!!!
    2013 Races: Indianapolis and Indyfest 2013
    2014 Races: Popped the Wife's Indy 500 Cherry and Indyfest 2014
    2015 Race: ABC Supply Wisconsin 250
    2016 Races: 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 and Road America!

Comment

Obi-wan.

Comment

I've listened to him on the scanner over the years. He seems to lack in the IQ department.
        "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Comment

Being fallible humans, experienced professional scouts make errors in their assessments of talent all of the time. No one bats 1.000. So too, evidently, did those who clearly overrated Marco's skills. He's simply not that good.
          The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Some poor luck, some poor strategy, and not an elite driver. He has had probably 3-4 wins slip away the last 7 years or so. He is a good driver, not an elite driver and his results show it.
            World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

I wish Marco well. He is not as good as Dad or Grandpa , but I bet he could get an Indy win . I also have found myself recently yelling out “Andretti” instead of polo when I hear someone yell out Marco.
              RIP Justin! WWJCD

Comment

Originally posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
                Some poor luck, some poor strategy, and not an elite driver. He has had probably 3-4 wins slip away the last 7 years or so. He is a good driver, not an elite driver and his results show it.
                2008 Richmond and 2013 Pocono come to mind.. Both was the fastest driver by far and lost due to circumstances that was not his fault
                "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
                  2008 Richmond and 2013 Pocono come to mind.. Both was the fastest driver by far and lost due to circumstances that was not his fault
                  Happens to everyone.....ask Helio.....
                  2012 Races: St.Pete, Indianapolis and THE MILWAUKEE MILE!!!!!!
                  2013 Races: Indianapolis and Indyfest 2013
                  2014 Races: Popped the Wife's Indy 500 Cherry and Indyfest 2014
                  2015 Race: ABC Supply Wisconsin 250
                  2016 Races: 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 and Road America!

Comment

Originally posted by Mearsfan53081 View Post
                    I don't think he has the personal drive his Father or Grandfather had.....and once he went down the path of racing, it became a chore for him. He "makes" good money, so he probably figures it's not a bad career for a guy who has no college degree at this point.
                    Good assessment.

...---...

Comment

Originally posted by Mearsfan53081 View Post
                      Happens to everyone.....ask Helio.....
                      Also Helio has some great luck as well.. Marco not so much
                      "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

I may get slammed for this but here goes......

h

Comment

I think he'll be much happier as an owner someday than as the driver he is now. He wants to win Indy so he keeps plugging away at the whole season, but he clearly doesn't enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
                            You had to go back half a decade to find such an example, it's quite telling.

Comment

i can see the usual IGNORANT bs, as always.

Marcos only problem is YOU people because of his family.

its pathetic, tiered, and negative

how about LISTENING?

Marco is not as in tune with this chassi as his only other one.
                              ther new kit should benefit him and has, BUT he has admitted he is now struggling in hi speed corners...

hmmmmm

what track do we all love is in posession of a lot of those?

ovals.

like INdy, where he has been a non factor the last 2 years.

its weird...cant
                              wait to
                              see how he adapts with a year in the same car (and hopefully learning from ROSSI).

GODSPEED

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X