X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IndyCar to be Broadcast on Skysports F1

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...rts-f1-in-2019

Sounds like good news.

Good news! Who previously broadcasted IndyCar in the UK? Or did the UK even have access to IndyCar?

Comment

Originally posted by neti1 View Post
      I think a lot are not happy about it because it's a "pay channel". In Murica that's just the norm, but over there if it's a pay channel or has adverts people seem to get upset. I wish I lived in the utopia of free channels and no adverts, but since I've never known any different I think nothing of pay channels with commercial breaks. I've pretty much only seen negative comments from the Brits about this Sky/IndyCar deal so far, but at least they have an option to watch I suppose.
      If you make something idiot proof, the world will build a better idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonW77 View Post
        I've pretty much only seen negative comments from the Brits about this Sky/IndyCar deal so far, but at least they have an option to watch I suppose.
        I’ve never seen so much talk about Indycar than with this deal. This will be bigger than American NBC deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurk View Post
          I’ve never seen so much talk about Indycar than with this deal. This will be bigger than American NBC deal.
          Interesting. Where have you seen that? All I've heard so far is they're pissed because they have to pay to get the channel, and then apparently you have to pay Sky another fee on top of that to get the motorsports stuff (up to $200/year total, apparently, which makes the NBC Gold package look like a steal). Same thing that's happened with F1 over there the last few years, they moved it from free-to-air tv to Sky pay channels and viewership has been on a steady decline since, losing nearly half of their viewers since 2011. That's not a good thing and hopefully IndyCar viewership in the UK doesn't see a similar fate.

http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/...a-1-in-england

Comment

I think there has always been a fee that had to be paid to watch TV in the UK. So, if they are used to paying for TV with no commercials and now they pay and have to watch commercials and then pay to watch certain shows, it is understandable that they would be upset.

Comment

Interesting. Where have you seen that?
              Twitter. F1 fans are talking about it like Alonso’s Indy debut. This makes IndyCar easy and possible to follow for the fans who already follow motorsport. At BT nobody watched but now they are in right place and no F1 fan can say that they can’t follow it.

Comment

Originally posted by uh_clem View Post
                I think there has always been a fee that had to be paid to watch TV in the UK. So, if they are used to paying for TV with no commercials and now they pay and have to watch commercials and then pay to watch certain shows, it is understandable that they would be upset.
                Yep, anyone in the UK that wants to watch tv has to pay for a "television license" (this also includes VOD streaming). So then to have to pay for Sky and their motorsports package on top of that is a bit salty. And commercials are done differently over there too, I think a lot of times the program has no/limited interuptions and instead has a bulk of commercials at the end of the half hour/hour, so whenever they watch an American broadcast that has an advert break every 10-15 minutes it leads to some uproar because they're not used to that format and they're (understandably) pissed that they missed some of the action during the break. We don't know any better so we don't really think anything of it.

Comment

I believe IndyCar (maybe outside of the Indy 500) has always been on a pay channel over there, at least for live/non-highlights coverage. BT Sports is a pay channel just like Sky Sports.

The diehard F1 fans seem thrilled about it since they're already paying for Sky Sports F1. There's a much, much, much smaller group who might have subbed to something like BT Sport just for IndyCar who are mad.

Comment

If IndyCar wants to increase exposure in the UK give Sky Sports access to simulcast NBC's IndyCar coverage

Comment

Originally posted by nickp View Post
                      If IndyCar wants to increase exposure in the UK give Sky Sports access to simulcast NBC's IndyCar coverage
                      That's what it is. Races/qualifying will be simulcast live on the same channel the F1 races are on (Sky Sports F1).

Comment

I think a lot are not happy about it because it's a "pay channel". In Murica that's just the norm, but over there if it's a pay channel or has adverts people seem to get upset. I wish I lived in the utopia of free channels and no adverts, but since I've never known any different I think nothing of pay channels with commercial breaks. I've pretty much only seen negative comments from the Brits about this Sky/IndyCar deal so far, but at least they have an option to watch I suppose.
                        The comments I saw on motorsport.com all seemed to be enthusiastic.

Comment

I can confirm its been on pay channels for a long time here, but with CART from about 97-2002 we had it on Free to Air on channel 5. CHampCar was on Eurosport (pay channel).
                          Take up of pay TV is much lower in the UK than in the US. Seems to be about 49% in UK compared to about 78% in US. Within that 49% a much smaller percentage will be paying for the sports package
                          Memories of Indy 2012:
                          ZUL8TR: "I'm sorry Joel, are we keeping you?"

abc -
                          Your home for Indycar on Network TV, where race commentary is delivered as if reading the lunch menu in a rest home. God bless you Marty, Eddy, and Scott, there are few as soporific as you.

Comment

Yep, anyone in the UK that wants to watch tv has to pay for a "television license" (this also includes VOD streaming). So then to have to pay for Sky and their motorsports package on top of that is a bit salty. And commercials are done differently over there too, I think a lot of times the program has no/limited interuptions and instead has a bulk of commercials at the end of the half hour/hour, so whenever they watch an American broadcast that has an advert break every 10-15 minutes it leads to some uproar because they're not used to that format and they're (understandably) pissed that they missed some of the action during the break. We don't know any better so we don't really think anything of it.
                            Having to pay £149 a year for the TV licence before you pay for cable/satellite sticks in the craw. I'd be quite happy to let BBC (which is what you pay the fee for) to become a subscription service as i don't watch it. I'd sooner have the choice to pay for a few weeks if something was on i want to watch
                            Memories of Indy 2012:
                            ZUL8TR: "I'm sorry Joel, are we keeping you?"

abc -
                            Your home for Indycar on Network TV, where race commentary is delivered as if reading the lunch menu in a rest home. God bless you Marty, Eddy, and Scott, there are few as soporific as you.

Comment

Originally posted by Fro View Post
                              The diehard F1 fans seem thrilled about it since they're already paying for Sky Sports F1. There's a much, much, much smaller group who might have subbed to something like BT Sport just for IndyCar who are mad.
                              That seems like a key point. The F1 fans no doubt greatly outnumber the specifically Indycar fans, but they are the people most likely to be interested in viewing an Indycar race. If they are already paying to watch F1, the addition of Indycar will be free. And the races are generally at much different times.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X