1998 True Value 500 at Texas Motor Speedway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 True Value 500 at Texas Motor Speedway

After a rough start a pretty exciting Texas race.

"George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

The good old days.. Wish Indycar could provide that type of action on a regular basis
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
      The good old days.. Wish Indycar could provide that type of action on a regular basis
      Agreed. We were there. Boat, Ray and Stewart were running 228’s. And the crowd? 100K.

Comment

I saw that earlier today on YouTube and started watching. good stuff, I always liked the Texas races... I was young then and loved the 80's-90's rocket-nosed cars

Comment

Is this where Stewart cut a 228mph lap?
          "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Great race. I wish a INDYCAR would change the tire rules to allow this kind of exciting action. Do that and watch the return of the fans in the stands.
            Third Gen Indy Fan

Comment

I loved that race then went to SpeedNet to read how horrible it was and how stupid I was for enjoying it.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2008 5A Football State Champs
              2015 6A Football State Champs
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Still gets to you 21 years later? Man.

Watched bits and pieces of the race. Good show. Agree that it would be nice if the tires didn't fall off so much these days. The key seems to be that cars can pass each other but don't get stuck in big packs. IRL and CART both put on good oval races in those days.

Comment

Originally posted by jkeener24 View Post
                  Agree that it would be nice if the tires didn't fall off so much these days. The key seems to be that cars can pass each other but don't get stuck in big packs.
                  I don't know if it's over-regulation or what, but it doesn't seem like it should be so hard to achieve those results. We can't seem to get there with the current package.
                  "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by davidgarvin View Post
                    Agreed. We were there. Boat, Ray and Stewart were running 228’s. And the crowd? 100K.

Originally posted by gnome View Post
                    I saw that earlier today on YouTube and started watching. good stuff, I always liked the Texas races... I was young then and loved the 80's-90's rocket-nosed cars
                    Same. Those cars look good and the races were exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
                      That type of racing with the current set of drivers would be fantastic.

There were certainly worthy drivers back then but we don't have half the field filled with your Billy Roes, Stephan Gregoires, Marco Grecos, Stan Wattles, Jack Millers Steve Knapps, etc. any more

Comment

Keep in mind that you're watching the fruits of a misguided young scion shoveling the family fortune down a sewer pipe as fast as he could....
                        "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

The IRL pack races and the CART Hanford races where just meh for me, they where exciting and action packed but lacked the race craft and strategy I enjoyed. Milwaukee 1996 might be the best oval race I’ve ever seen, maybe the last real head to head match up between Michael and Al jr. Yes,I realize I’m in the minority.

Comment

Originally posted by Andretti91 View Post
                            The IRL pack races and the CART Hanford races where just meh for me, they where exciting and action packed but lacked the race craft and strategy I enjoyed. Milwaukee 1996 might be the best oval race I’ve ever seen, and yes I realize I’m in the minority.
                            If you watched this race you would see that it's not a pack race.

Originally posted by dalz View Post
                            Keep in mind that you're watching the fruits of a misguided young scion shoveling the family fortune down a sewer pipe as fast as he could....
                            Actually none of that ever entered my mind. I was just enjoying a good race.

Comment

Originally posted by mdkiel View Post
                              If you watched this race you would see that it's not a pack race.
                              Actually I watched it this morning and pack racing is probably the wrong word. Just not a fan of Indy cars on higher banked NASCAR optimized ovals. Milwaukee, Nazareth, original Phoenix, Louden and Homestead where perfect for me.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X