Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hope the Indycar Classic at COTA is a success, cause they just lost $20 million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope the Indycar Classic at COTA is a success, cause they just lost $20 million

From the Austin American-Statesman:

Circuit of the Americas is out at least $25 million in state funding after Gov. Greg Abbott’s office rejected the group’s annual application for reimbursement following the 2018 Formula One race at the track. Officials in the governor’s office said track representatives failed to meet the deadline for submitting a human trafficking prevention plan as part of their reimbursement request.

This is for the 2018 race, not this year's edition. I hope they can take the financial hit, but I worry about the long term viability of the track. If they can't correct this COTA might have to survive with just Indycar and NASCAR.

Read the full article here: https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...-state-funding

Reading this story - this reminds me of my cousin who missed out on a $5000 scholarship in collage because he forgot to write a one page paper updating the board that oversaw the scholarship in time. It's easy work for a good chunk of cash but some people just can't get it done.

I know it's probably not as simple as I imagine it but losing $20 million due to not submitting a prevention plan is inexcusable.

I wonder if COTA is getting money back from the state for the other races that run on its track including Indycar.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Comment

Officials in the governor’s office said track representatives failed to meet the deadline for submitting a human trafficking prevention plan as part of their reimbursement request.

The plan was due on Sept. 19, but CELOC did not submit it until Oct. 3.
      That's an interesting way for Gov Abbott to dodge a spend. Wonder if Super Bowl LI, the O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 NASCAR race and the 2018 Final Four for NCAA were timely in their human trafficking prevention plan submittals.
      BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

State probably didn't want to pay it out and got out from it using a technicality. That being said they probably had no problem collecting the tax revenue from that big weekend.

Comment

The last time they tried to cut their payout, Bernie was still in charge and he said, "Oh no you don't. I have an (illegal) signed guarantee from your state 'comptroller'. I don't care about your silly laws." Wonder how it will play out this time.
          "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by Hitokiri View Post
            Reading this story - this reminds me of my cousin who missed out on a $5000 scholarship in collage because he forgot to write a one page paper updating the board that oversaw the scholarship in time. It's easy work for a good chunk of cash but some people just can't get it done.

I know it's probably not as simple as I imagine it but losing $20 million due to not submitting a prevention plan is inexcusable.

I wonder if COTA is getting money back from the state for the other races that run on its track including Indycar.
            As a matter of fact, COTA has applied for MERP funds for a few events
            They applied for:
            1. about $460K for the 2018 World RallyCross
            2. about $200K for the 2017 IMSA race
            3. about $350K for the 2017 WEC race
            4. about $600K for the 2016 combined WEC/IMSA weekend

Per the state MERP database, COTA has applied for $3,875,297.00 in total MERP funds (combined state and city) for the IndyCar Classic
            https://gov.texas.gov/business/page/...-funds-program

BTW TMS got just under $4MM for fall NASCAR race, they've applied for funds for both spring and fall races for several years.

BBTW: Number 2 on the all time MERP list appears to be..........WrestleMania 32 in Arlington in 2016...$3,151,190
            BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
              As a matter of fact, COTA has applied for MERP funds for a few events
              They applied for:
              1. about $460K for the 2018 World RallyCross
              2. about $200K for the 2017 IMSA race
              3. about $350K for the 2017 WEC race
              4. about $600K for the 2016 combined WEC/IMSA weekend

Per the state MERP database, COTA has applied for $3,875,297.00 in total MERP funds (combined state and city) for the IndyCar Classic
              https://gov.texas.gov/business/page/...-funds-program

BTW TMS got just under $4MM for fall NASCAR race, they've applied for funds for both spring and fall races for several years.

BBTW: Number 2 on the all time MERP list appears to be..........WrestleMania 32 in Arlington in 2016...$3,151,190

Thanks!

$3 for WrestleMania...lol...

Comment

Somebody tell me what a race track has to do with human trafficking

Edit: never mind I read it

I’ve never heard about any increase in human trafficking because of car races but maybe I guess
                "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

Comment

Reading the article, says the venue has submit a plan how to stop/prevent prostitution which usually increases during large sporting events.

Comment

Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
                    Reading the article, says the venue has submit a plan how to stop/prevent prostitution which usually increases during large sporting events.

Yeah I guess

I don’t know why it’s the tracks job

That’s a job for police
                    "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

Comment

Originally posted by slompappy View Post
                      Somebody tell me what a race track has to do with human trafficking

Edit: never mind I read it

I’ve never heard about any increase in human trafficking because of car races but maybe I guess

It's all politics.

Comment

Originally posted by slompappy View Post
                        Yeah I guess

I don’t know why it’s the tracks job

That’s a job for police
                        It is a job for police, if your event is privately funded.

But if the government is subsidizing an event, they usually like to ensure that the event is using some of those funds to minimize the impact on public services, and help ensure the negative consequences of the event are considered.

The decision to not award COTA the funding on a technicality may very well be political, but the requirement for a report is definitely not. If the taxpayers are funding an event to the tune of 8 figures, the government has the right to request any type of information or reporting they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitokiri View Post
                          $3 for WrestleMania...lol...
                          No, it was slightly more than three dollars.

Lol.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by CP View Post
                            It is a job for police, if your event is privately funded.

But if the government is subsidizing an event, they usually like to ensure that the event is using some of those funds to minimize the impact on public services, and help ensure the negative consequences of the event are considered.

The decision to not award COTA the funding on a technicality may very well be political, but the requirement for a report is definitely not. If the taxpayers are funding an event to the tune of 8 figures, the government has the right to request any type of information or reporting they want.
                            Point well made

Their money their rules

Comment

"The track’s Rick Abbott said that even though a prevention plan was not submitted by the deadline, the track continued with the anti-human trafficking efforts it had outlined before its 2018 MotoGP race last April.
                              “The anti-trafficking plan was on file for other events throughout the year, so it is not a question of implementation,” Rick Abbott’s statement said. “In April of 2018, the Circuit of the Americas operations team developed a human trafficking plan to be included in the Emergency Action Plan (EAP) for the 2018 MotoGP Grand Prix of the Americas. That plan stayed in place throughout the entire 2018 race season.”"

So I guess the issue is that they didn't submit a plan specifically for the F1 GP?

Is this requirement related to SESTA/FOSTA?

Last edited by uh_clem; 02-21-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X