Update on Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland

I live within biking distance of Burke. As Robin has pointed out multiple times, it seems like you hear a lot about how people want to come back to Cleveland. Anyways this little nugget was published today by Cleveland's Scene magazine on how much air traffic has dropped at Burke over the years

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...-in-2018-again

Scene is one of the leaders in town who've been screaming that Burke needs to be shut down and the land converted into something actually useful for citizens of Cleveland. But the city itself appears to be pretty reluctant. It sounds like there's no current momentum to come back to Cleveland and with the schedule itself being midwest heavy it may not matter but if the push continues to shut down Burke then us pushing for it to come back maybe all for naught. Its a shame because even the diehard RC/SC haters seem to enjoy the Cleveland races. Not to mention the legion of us ( I went every year from 1987-2004) who loved going. Its such a unique kick ass track and while I don't love living here by any means downtown Cleveland in the summer months is great.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

I am an oval devotee and I would totally welcome a return to Cleveland.
    You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Daily reminder that IMS sniped a sponsor that wanted a Cleveland GP revival a couple of years back.
      Just wait 'till next year!

Comment

Glass half full guy. It seems they need the utilize airport more if under used. Why not run a race.

Comment

This series can’t return to Cleveland, just a little pet peeve.
          Last edited by Andretti91; 02-20-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David_Skywalker View Post
            Daily reminder that IMS sniped a sponsor that wanted a Cleveland GP revival a couple of years back.
            Which sponsor was this?
            World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

I believe Sherwin Williams

Comment

Is there any grassroots "bring back the GP" organization in Cleveland?
                Last edited by happyscrappy-t; 02-20-2019, 02:06 PM.
                "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Originally posted by BretEarl View Post
                  can't be having that blasphemer paint in the PPG Indy Car World Series.

Comment

Best Temp course of all time.

Comment

Glass half full guy. It seems they need the utilize airport more if under used. Why not run a race.

You called?

Seriously though, this sounds like a similar situation to what Edmonton was dealing with. They obviously DID use their downtown airport to run a few well-attended event weekends but ultimately the costs were just too much to continue, even with presenting sponsors shelling out. The airport was closed and the land redeveloped.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski View Post
                        I am an oval devotee and I would totally welcome a return to Cleveland.
                        I have always believed it was so popular because the spectator experience was so similar to an oval. Grandstands all along the property with the entire track in view from just about every seat. The always exciting turn 1 and wide open runoff was a bonus. It's a shame Edmonton went away as it was so similar and I was able to combine a race with the obligatory trip to visit the wife's family in North Dakota on the way home. We passed several of the transporters westbound around Portal ND on our way home the last year of the race.

Pocono was like that when they actually had a respectable road course and less infield buildings blocking everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
                          I have always believed it was so popular because the spectator experience was so similar to an oval. Grandstands all along the property with the entire track in view from just about every seat. The always exciting turn 1 and wide open runoff was a bonus.
                          Not to and will never forget the backdrop of white sails on the horizon, great adjunct events like concerts and a national BBQ grill-off competition, etc. An all-around great family weekend.

Comment

Burke was my last attended Champ Car race. The area seemed to take on a festival atmosphere with lots of interesting places within a short walk. I'd go back once a year.
                            "Factually Unfounded Opinion" Rep. Elijah Cummings
                            "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

I thought it was Kelly-Moore, but you could be right.

Whichever it was, the promoter had them lined up as title sponsor, and was ready to go on the race. IMS then went to the sponsor behind the promoter's back, and persuaded them that their money would be better spent on that year's 500 - effectively sabotaging the Cleveland race, and also infuriating the promoter who, after being so blatantly stabbed in the back, vowed never to work with ICS again.

It was incredibly short-sighted, not to mention thoroughly sleazy, and is an example of why the HG's have often been criticized for sabotaging the IndyCar series to benefit Indy.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X