Live Qualifying this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Qualifying this year?

Anyone know if ESPN will give us live qualifying this year or are we back to the 1 AM tape delays? IMO, we need the qualifying live, the litle bit of exposure is surely got to be more that a 1 AM tape delay.

I'd watch it, but I have to say that IRL qualifying is not much to watch on tv (except at Indy).

Comment

Originally posted by mario:
      <STRONG>I'd watch it, but I have to say that IRL qualifying is not much to watch on tv (except at Indy).</STRONG>
      Quite honestly, I don't even know why the IRL HAS qualifying at tracks other than Indy. I wish they would just line them up based on points, with the top X inverted (X depending on track size) and go at it. They could make the events two day instead of three day deals, saving the teams money.

(I'd also like them to turn Indy 500 qualifying into a full points and purse paying IRL event!)
      "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

posted by LorenzoBandini"

(I'd also like them to turn Indy 500 qualifying into a full points and purse paying IRL event!)

That is your opinion, but I must disagree.
        It is the IRL not th IQL "Indy Qualifying League". Points should be for the racing aspect only IMHO.

As far as the qualifying at Indy paying a purse, it already does! I could be wrong but in addition to the 100,000 for winning the pole, there are some other Qualifying Award$ for making the front row, surviving the bubble (33rd fastest), and fastest rookie. There could even be some others that I have left out.

Anyone have more knowledge on this Qualifying Award$?
        "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
        - RUSH, Freewill, Permanent Waves (1980)

Comment

Almost all quafifying is like watching paint dry. the reason we are IRL fans is that we love that wheel to wheel, balls to the walls action.

Hard to get excited by watching one guy drive around by himself. Ok, maybe it is exciting, but nothing like those last laps of Texas.

That's why i like the idea of a consi. Sure, it's qualifying, but it is more of that wheel to wheel action that is winning the IRL fan after fan after fan.

But first, we need more cars. If there is the guarantee of racing at Indy, even if it is in a televised consi on carb day, it will make more sense for sponsors to sign on. It will also be a payday for the guys who spend all month there and miss the show. If you buy hotels and meals and clean clothes for an entire crew for the month of May, hustle your *** off and miss out because of bad luck or rain or just being outrun, you still deserve something besides being tired, hungry and broke.
          I'm dead now.

Comment

I agree the 1am Sunday Morning time spot was not very good for both CART and the IRL. While the qualifying tends to be boring, we do get brought up to speed on events to date that weekend, see who is running well, etc. Kinda like RPM tonite live strictly on the IRL.

I sure hope ABC will telecast all the qualifying at Indy again. That makes me not seeing the second weekend in person a lot easier to handle.

Comment

Last season, the IRL had slightly better timeslots for their qualifying than CART did. I thought I read somewhere that the contract said that qualifying had to be shown on ESPN2 within a certain number of hours of the end of qualifying. For the events when qualifying was early in the day, that meant qualifying was on at a decent hour.

Traditionally, ESPN gave 1 hour for qualifying, so it was shown in an edited format, and couldn't be shown live.

CART's contract with Speedvision includes a 2 hour Live Qualifying show for every race. Maybe the IRL can convince ESPN to give them the same.

I always found oval qualifying to be boring. Watching a car run a couple of laps on its own isn't the most exciting thing in the world. Road Course qualifying, on the other hand has always been more exciting. Put everyone out on the track, and see who can run the fastest lap.

What would be really interesting is if you tried road course qualifying rules on an oval. Now that is something that wouldn't be for the faint of heart!

Comment

I don't care if I see the quals as long as IndyRacingOnline has the feed from timing and scoring.
                SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBob:

What would be really interesting is if you tried road course qualifying rules on an oval. Now that is something that wouldn't be for the faint of heart![/QB]

Yes, more of the great wheel to wheel stuff that sets the IRL on it's own pedastal.
                  I'm dead now.

Comment

Will ESPN feel obliged to show live qualifying or practice for IRL races?

Perhaps a better placed qual/practice highlights package in the evening would be better!

Comment

You know, having road course type qualifying for the IRL's oval races besides Indy is not that bad of an idea. They could even split up the sessions. The cars could easily get spread out enough to get good runs, and it is exiting seeing the lineup change by the minute.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X