Idea: Move the Brickyard to the Road Course in May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea: Move the Brickyard to the Road Course in May

I'm watching the Daytona 500 with my Dad today (He was a NASCAR fan until I converted him and this used to be the race we'd go to) and I had a thought. The Brickyard 400 has apparently always been a boring race with diminishing crowds, so why not switch Indy's date with Dover's May date and move the NASCAR race to the first week in May and have NASCAR bring the truck, xfinity and cup series run the road course.

This would "Restore the month of May" with a full month of activity at the speedway. NASCAR fans have apparently wanted more road course races and Indy's road course is a legit track with a significant history. Since it's an off weekend for Indycar NASCAR could promote it almost as an All Star Race with the best of Indy taking on the best of NASCAR at the birthplace of American racing.

It could be something unique in sports if some of NASCAR's teams fielded second cars for guys like Hinchcliffe, Bourdais, Newgarden, Rayhal, Ericsson and Pagenaud throughout NASCAR's top three divisions. The Brickyard Grand Prix could see a boost in attendance and ratings of the whole weekend just because it would be different from every other race on the schedule

The month of May is about Indianapolis cars. This series has finally learned to stand on its own and needs no involvement from anyone else, especially NASCAR. They are not interested in any way shape or form in the success of Indycar.

Comment

I don’t think that NASCAR would agree to schedule a race where a purported objective is to restore IndyCar’s Month of May.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken-Paul View Post
        I don’t think that NASCAR would agree to schedule a race where a purported objective is to restore IndyCar’s Month of May.
        No one really cares about "The Month of May" outside of some hardcore fans, and I think NASCAR is willing to do whatever it takes to get some wins back on their schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeron View Post
          No one really cares about "The Month of May" outside of some hardcore fans, and I think NASCAR is willing to do whatever it takes to get some wins back on their schedule.
          What??? You are the one who stated that one of the objectives of your idea would be to “restore the month of May” then minutes later you claim that nobody outside of hardcores care about the month of May?

How exactly would it serve Indycar to aid NASCAR to get “a win”?

Comment

NASCAR would never agree to have the Cup series be a preliminary event.

Yes its 2 weeks before the big race but its still just a preliminary event on the May schedule

Sort of like ARCA at Daytona in February
            Live like Dave

Comment

Move ****** out of IMS permanently instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Andretti91 View Post
                What??? You are the one who stated that one of the objectives of your idea would be to “restore the month of May” then minutes later you claim that nobody outside of hardcores care about the month of May?

How exactly would it serve Indycar to aid NASCAR to get “a win”?
                I had originally written, "Restore the month of May to make the old timers happy," but then I edited it down so that I wouldn't be needlessly provocative. And yeah, I don't think anyone but he gray hairs care about "Restoring the the month of May." That said, I think a Brickyard GP would be an interesting and worthy addition to speedway schedule.

Comment

IMS’s mystique took a major hit with the inclusion of the Brickyard 400 and all the subsequent races they’ve tried to stage since. You can never restore that, it’s gone forever. Once oh systematically start removing everything that makes a venue or event special you eventually end up with a venue or event that’s not special.

Comment

I had originally written, "Restore the month of May to make the old timers happy," but then I edited it down so that I wouldn't be needlessly provocative. And yeah, I don't think anyone but he gray hairs care about "Restoring the the month of May." That said, I think a Brickyard GP would be an interesting and worthy addition to speedway schedule.
                    Why is it worthy what does it do for Indycar?

Comment

Not just 'no,' but HELL no.

NASCAR's time has passed and shouldn't be tainting a successful event. NASCAR has spent the last nearly 30 years making their name synonymous with American motorsports, to the point where Joe Average might even think all American motorsports are generically "NASCAR." Now that NASCAR is a sinking ship, there is every danger that this very same association may drag everybody else down along with it, and other forms of motorsports must do whatever they can to distance and differentiate themselves from NASCAR however possible and as soon as possible. To bring that black cloud into Indy in May, just when Indy is really bouncing back? Screw that!
                      "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

It could be something unique in sports if some of NASCAR's teams fielded second cars for guys like Hinchcliffe, Bourdais, Newgarden, Rayhal, Ericsson and Pagenaud throughout NASCAR's top three divisions.
                        The trouble with that is with 36 starting spots locked for the charter teams, there would hardly be any open starting positions for any one offs from the Indy car ranks.
                        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Why? all it would do is bore everyone to death. Have you been watching Daytona? Nascar doesn’t belong at Indy in May.
                          Last edited by Boweimer; 02-18-2019, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Terrible idea.

Comment

NASCAR on the road course: Good idea.

Holding it during the month of May: No deal.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X