Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official: Mike Tirico hosting the first Indy 500 on NBC

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...00/2871295002/

Title says it all, I think this is a great get and the best host in a while for the '500.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

I didn't recognize the name until I followed your link. All things considered, this is a good career move on his part as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Buellboy View Post
      I didn't recognize the name until I followed your link. All things considered, this is a good career move on his part as well.
      The 500 needs Tirico more than Tirico needs the 500.

Dude does/has done the Olympics, NBA Finals, Thursday Night Football, US Open Tennis, the Ryder Cup, college basketball, college football, NHL Winter Classic and the World Cup

All that said, it is a fantastic choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree0404 View Post

Dude does/has done the Olympics, NBA Finals, Thursday Night Football and the World Cup

I'm not arguing the choice, I'm just saying he's not yet a household name.

Comment

He is pretty close to a household name..
          "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

I guess you don't watch other sports. He's the host for the Olympics (replacing Bob Costas), was lead PBP guy for ESPN's NBA stuff, did a bunch of college basketball games for ESPN when he wasn't busy calling an NBA game, does some of NBC's NFL games (will replace Al Michaels) and replaced Costas as the studio host there, lead PBP for Notre Dame football, hosted the Kentucky Derby, etc.

The overall point is he's the #1 guy for NBC Sports, very good at his job, and Tirico's in his early 50s and is in his prime as a host/announcer unlike other options.

Comment

Is there television in Mobile Alabama?

Comment

I’d have to disagree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree0404 View Post

Dude does/has done the Olympics, NBA Finals, Thursday Night Football, US Open Tennis, the Ryder Cup, college basketball, college football, NHL Winter Classic and the World Cup

Kentucky Derby, too. Ann Arbor guy. Cool.
                  "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

Originally posted by turbokid View Post
                    Is there television in Mobile Alabama?
                    There is. Indoor plumbing too. Lol.

I don't watch the NBA, which is probably why I didn't recognize his name.

Comment

He is for most fans who watch televised sports.

Comment

Think of Tirico as the more likeable (or likeable period ) Bob Costas. He's almost as high up in the NBC Sports hierarchy.

That's only other way I can answer the "household name" issue. The rest of you have it pretty well covered.
                        "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

I would have preferred Al Michaels. I loved his hosting of the 2001 Indy 500. His intro with all the legends with the Delta Force theme was epic.
                          RIP Dan Wheldon :(

"Anybody who says the IndyCar Series is not the best championship in the world is a complete idiot in my book." ~Dan Wheldon

"It's a discussion board, not a society ball." ~Skypigeon

Comment

Originally posted by SactoIndyFan View Post
                            I would have preferred Al Michaels. I loved his hosting of the 2001 Indy 500. His intro with all the legends with the Delta Force theme was epic.
                            He did do a very good job and treated the event with the respect it deserves. I know hosted '99 and I'm not sure but I think he did 2000 also.
                            "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

Uhh... Yeah, he is. Tirico is big get for the 500.
                              “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X