page will be fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• page will be fine

look at it this way: now when he gets all excited in the booth, there'll be a reason.
    I 'm sure he'll be amazed at the racing and that will come across on the broadcast and that can't be a bad thing.

really take it easy on him. you'd make mistakes after being lulled to sleep by a cart 'race' too.
    It's a brand new day.

I will miss Larry Rice.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

The last time I listened to Paul Page do a race was a few years ago in the season opener at WDW

Page miscalled the leader of the first lap, and it got worse from there. I found myself wondering if he even went to practice sessions prior to the race to learn how to tell the difference between team cars.

I thought the worst trick ever played on CART was having him go there as announcer.

Now he is back. It is probably the best news the IMS Radio Network ever received because I suspect more people every race will start listening to the radio network.

Comment

ah you're right. just trying to find a bright side.
        It's a brand new day.

Comment

way to go Matt, you are right about Page being wrong. Paul is usually "two laps behind the race!"

Comment

How many times during CART races have we all found ourselves staring at a car in the wall and waiting 10-15 seconds for PP to say, "WHOA! Trouble in the festival turns!" Then we're looking at a shot clearly showing the orange marking of Franchitti's car, listening to Page say "OK, it's one of the Team Green cars... there's two of those, so we're waiting to see which one..." Finally Rice or someone would quietly say say "it's Franchitti" (or whoever).

It's like watching a gameshow where you know all the answers before the contestants.

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
            "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

What Truth Detector said.

Comment

Paul Page is a veteran in covering Indycar racing. I thought he preferred CART over the IRL, and if CART still had ABC/ESPN under contrac he would still be commentating for their races. I liked Larry Rice too, but ratings and familiar commentators are essential for ratings. This decision was agreed by ABC and the IRL. He'll be good gentlemen.

Comment

My god, years and years of CART telecasts are indelibly scarred with Page's drivel. Now, the IRL telecasts are going to be ruined as well.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the IRL's present crew. Larry Rice was right on the money with every comment and Bob Jenkins provided a solid link with the 500.

And even Jason was good with his infectious enthusiasm. He came in for plenty of critisism, but he kept things light and fun. sorry, i want my racing to be fun. If i want to be all stuffy and full of pomposity, I'll tune into an F-1 race with my tea and crumpets. And Jason pulled in the girls, a trick used to good effect by that southern series that is kicking everyone's, errr, backside.

So the IRL is gaining steam every day with new venues, teams and fans. Why was there a need to change anything? We just had the most outrageous year of openwheeled racing in history, but now we have to fix what ain't broke, right?

Please, get rid of page. Maybe have him cover dog shows or something. water ballet. anything. Just get him off the IRL team.
                  I'm dead now.

Comment

Paul Page did the Indy500 radio broadcasts for quite a few years before popping up on the television. So he's really an Indy500 guy who happened to be inflicted upon CART.

But as I've tried to point out, Paul Page got a pretty big long-term contract from ABC a couple years ago ('99 if memory serves). Since it's a given that open-wheel races in the U.S. aren't going to produce much in the way of ratings it makes good financial sense to try to get mileage out of him rather than buy out his contract and hire someone else.

As for Larry Rice - he just winds up on the trash heap of ABC/ESPN color announcers (Jackie Stewart, Sam Posey, Bobby Unser, Danny Sullivan, Tom Sneva, Derek Daly, Parker Johnstone, Larry Rice, etc.)

Come to think of it - Scott Goodyear probably had better job security in the IRL...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-OTN:
                      <STRONG>The last time I listened to Paul Page do a race was a few years ago in the season opener at WDW

Page miscalled the leader of the first lap, and it got worse from there. I found myself wondering if he even went to practice sessions prior to the race to learn how to tell the difference between team cars.

I thought the worst trick ever played on CART was having him go there as announcer.

Now he is back. It is probably the best news the IMS Radio Network ever received because I suspect more people every race will start listening to the radio network.</STRONG>
                      If I recall, his excuse was that due to the lack of practice, he hadn't seen the cars on the track long enough to learn them.
                      http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Last time I heard PP, I think that is what he did. The reason for the emotional outburst? Two cars were making green flag pit stops at the same time. Better get him a supply of Depends if he is going to call an IRL race!
                        Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

I'm not sure Page could out due the nightmare of a 2001 USGP broadcast.

Either way, he is not as much the problem as the network itself. ABC will never change. Page didn't control the ability of the network to not follow good battles deep in the pack. He didn't control cutting the broadcast short when yellows took the race too long. He doesn't control the commercials that come at the end of the race when the battles are going on.

Being on network TV is great. The question is how is the product going to be handled. This will be the third ABC race in a row for some of these venues in 2002, the ratings probably won't change much.

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch:
                            <STRONG>

If I recall, his excuse was that due to the lack of practice, he hadn't seen the cars on the track long enough to learn them.</STRONG>
                            Sitting in the booth while the cars are practicing and getting used to the view he was going to see on race day would help get over that excuse.
                            And walking the garages and pit area taking notes on differences in cars would help.
                            But it wasn't just teammates he was having trouble with. As I recall he was having troubles identifying cars with totally different paint schemes.
                            It was like the first time he arrived at the track was 10 minutes before the start of the race.

Comment

Well, CART lucked out this time, they got Bob Varsha. I've always liked Varsha from way back when he was doing F1 on ESPN2.

And I've never heard him say "Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!!"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X