PENSKE QUESTION ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PENSKE QUESTION ...

Does Penske have the Chevy II engine(s) in his arsenal ? The reason I ask is, if the old Aurora engine he's supposedly running is proven to produce lower HP, then why didn't he use the ChevyII engine at all the HP tracks ?

There are only 3 races left; 2 of them are HP tracks; and next year he switches to Toyota. So, is he really going to bring out the ChevyII engines just for those 2 races ??

Doubtful, IMO, which means he's banking on getting this win at Gateway (to get the season championship).
    "Don't believe the hype!"

Why change now? Hmmmmmmm I'm sitting second and third in the championship with the old Aurora. Change? uhhhhhhhh no
    SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
    " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

IMO, he is enamored with the great milage from the engine, he continues to try to win in the CART way, with pit road issues. He may win that way this weekend, but he will probably win that one anyway. At Gateway, handeling is tthe issue not horsepower.

Penske cars have been easy to pass on HP tracks, tough at places like Phoenix and PPIR, in fact almost impossible to catch there. It will be interesting to see which way "the Captain" goes at Chicagoland and Texas.

Comment

Why wouldn't he split his cars? He does that with fuel/pit strategy (stragedy for Arie and Scott).

Comment

I figure he just trusts the Aurora very much. But I thought it was "fact" that he already had the ChevyII engine(s), and was just waiting to use them.
          "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

The appropriate question to ask here is, has Roger Penske ever been willing to use a special engine for one very important race to give his drivers a greater advantage over the field?

Check your history and you'll know the answer.
            "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
            --Danny Noonan

Comment

Yep, and it's just about not long enough ago to qualify as "history".

But it sure covered up for an evil handling car (until a few laps from the end).

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring:
                <STRONG>Why change now? Hmmmmmmm I'm sitting second and third in the championship with the old Aurora. Change? uhhhhhhhh no</STRONG>
                I can't imagine that Roger, Gil or Helio care about second and third. While that would be a big coup for some teams it is a loss for Penske. I would expect them to pull out all stops to try to get 1st and 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxpayer:
                  <STRONG>Yep, and it's just about not long enough ago to qualify as "history".

But it sure covered up for an evil handling car (until a few laps from the end).</STRONG>
                  Can you imagine how fast those cars would have been
                  if the engine was NOT in a Penske chassis!

Comment

Penske is in the hunt, but of the top 4, they are probably in the worst position. Penske dominated only a single short oval this year -- PPIR, and that was only Gil. Sam and Helio were for effectively dead even, with the last pit stop deciding the outcome. Sam also had them covered at Phoenix until he lost some gears. Penske got lucky there.

Penske is expecting good things this weekend. If Sam finishes in front, they will be hurting. Even if they win the thing, as along as Sam finishes 3rd, he'll still be in decent shape going into the final two events.

What's really going to be interesting is if Infiniti can run up front the last couple of races. If so, and if Panther and Penske are then fighting for 4th-6th, the points differential between those spots is miniscule. There aren't enough races for Gil or Phillipe to make up the difference so at that point, it's essentially a two horse race. I'd give the nod to Penske and Panther at Gateway, Chicago's a wash, but at TX, the nod definitely goes to Infiniti powered entries.

Why Roger hasn't switched over to the Chevy II is beyond me. As long as Sam runs decently, Roger's going to pay the price.

jmart

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X