I am so glad that the IRL is on ABC/ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so glad that the IRL is on ABC/ESPN

A look into the future of "SpeedChannel".

From an article at www.truckseries.com:

"While NASCAR's current television package has all pre-race and post-race coverage on Fox Sports Network, NASCAR would eventually like to move that programming to Speed Channel. In additional efforts to brand Speed Channel as "NASCAR TV", there will now be a push to add more live NASCAR racing to the current line up."

The link: http://www.truckseries.com/2002/02r1...081502ck.shtml

By 2004 (or sooner) I see F1 on ESPN/ABC along with the IRL.

I wonder how much longer until SpeedChannel changes the name to "NASCAR TV"?

Indeed sad. Speedvision got where it was by being THE PLACE for all types of racing.

Unbiased, dedicated, 24 hours of mostly racing.

They should have started a new channel and left the old format alone.

Comment

Now that I finally have Speedvision, or SpeedChannel, I do like the extended coverage CART gets for qualifying and pre race activity.

I have seen the 1991 Holly Farms 400 more than enough, would like to see some old indy car races.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyJim:
        <STRONG>Now that I finally have Speedvision, or SpeedChannel, I do like the extended coverage CART gets for qualifying and pre race activity. </STRONG>
        I would say that we should enjoy it while we got it.

I have a feeling that CART will be moved to a tape-delayed basis, or maybe even a 1-hour highlight show...like they do for the world rally series.

Comment

Why is this bad,if you quoated the rest of the article,you noticed the head of Speed stated Speed is about racing,we need racing. They want to known as the place to go to see racing....IMO thats not bad.

The real shocker is that Nascar wants to consolidate its programs on Speed. From a business standpoint that alone will help Speed to grow.....

As regards the Cart coverage.......I don't know,they do have a contract.

Comment

I'm not so sure that the truck series moving away from ABC/ESPN is a good thing for the IRL. If the Truck Series leaves ESPN/ABC, the only racing that will show promos for the IRL will be NHRA, which typically airs in the evening - after the IRL race has been on TV.

Compare that to Speed, which will have promos for other races during Winston Cup, Busch, Craftsman Truck, WRC, F1 and CART events.

If you want to attract race fans to your shows, it is best to be on a network with other races.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy:
              <STRONG>Indeed sad. Speedvision got where it was by being THE PLACE for all types of racing.

They should have started a new channel and left the old format alone.</STRONG>
              The guy that owned Speedvision kept the name (thus the SpeedTV name change).

I think he's taking a wait and see attitude with SpeedTV. If SpeedTV ignores all other racing for NASCAR he can just create a new Speedvision.
              Terrible moderators can destroy great forums

Comment

Rupert Murdoch owns/controls News Corp who owns/controls Fox who owns/controls Speed.
                I believe it was their stated intention,when they purchused Speed, to make it primarily a NASCAR channel. I believe it is hq'ed in Charlotte.
                They do not have the coverage ESPN has. However, they are growing rapidly and in a few years Speed will be quite widespread. Do not sell Murdoch short. This will be an important racing network. It ensures the success of NASCAR into the predictable future. FOX will undoubtedly hard sell NASCAR to their viewers to ensure the success of SPEED.
                CART may benefit from this ......ot not.? They(Speed) do racing right!

Comment

Interesting that the same folks who tell us it is bad for the IRL and NASCAR to be linked together at the race track.......see it as a good thing for CART on TV.

Comment

Hey Tex,where are you from,I am from Austin.

Speed and Fox do an awesome job at TV production. As I have posted before, I would to see an IRL produced by a Fox/Speed team. I guarantee the fans would love it.

Comment

Well, Speed does continue to grow, any series would be wise to have a presence on it. The Future of cable/sat channels seems to be niche-casting. Once you have one facility up and running, it is not that crazy to put up multiple channels. I could see SPEED having SPEED2, SPEED3, etc someday, each having a specialty.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy:
                        <STRONG>Indeed sad. Speedvision got where it was by being THE PLACE for all types of racing.

They should have started a new channel and left the old format alone.</STRONG>
                        Yeah the pld format was great with all the informercials for motorcycle mechanic school and zMaz. I miss those hours of nonstop comercials.
                        Preserving America's oval track tradition:
                        1.New Hampshire, 2.Charlotte, 3.Dover, 4.Disney World, 5.Las Vegas, 6.Atlanta, 7.Gateway, 8.Nazereth, 9.Phoenix, 10.Fontana, 11.Pikes Peak, 12.Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by indyracer56:
                          <STRONG>I have a feeling that CART will be moved to a tape-delayed basis, or maybe even a 1-hour highlight show...like they do for the world rally series.</STRONG>
                          The problem I see with that is that they usually try to catch highlights of the race. Since most CART races don't have 1 hours worth of highlights it would most likely be a half hour show. They could burn a good 10 minutes showing the inevitable turn 1 crash.

Outlaw

Comment

Longhorn--
                            I shudda guessed from your screen name.
                            I'm in Dallas(Richardson).
                            3 weeks from Sunday til the IMS show at TMS. You gonna be there?

Comment

I am going to try Tex,maybe we will each other.......

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X