Now THIS would make F1 more interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now THIS would make F1 more interesting

It isn't exactly Tony Stewart & Jeff Gordon going to F1, but it would be cool.

Supposedly Ferrari is throwing serious cash at Indy 500 winner Juan Pablo Montoya to team with Michael Schumacher NEXT YEAR!

If so, good-bye to team orders. Hello to the best in-team rivalry I can remember.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Ferrari isn't that stupid. Most (ok, all) F1 teams have the primary driver and then a secondary driver. Unless you are Williams (who has two good rivers) or Minardi (who I could drive for, if I could get the 107% rule down) most teams operate like that.

Good idea, but F1 is a class system. That's why we'll never see it.
    "We won a few races here and there, but the magic died the day Helmet melted." - Doc Austin on slotcar champion Michael Shannon

Comment

If Sir Frank doesn't have a pecking order he has a funny way of showing it.

Ralf makes $12MM per year while JPM has to get by on a mere $1.5MM.

I flat-out gurarantee you that JPM will NEVER agree to team orders.
      Center Grove Trojans
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Then he won't drive for Ferrari.Ferrari has always played some sort of games with it's drivers.It's just a matter of knowing who is being favored at the moment.

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: slinger ]
        Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

JPM and MS on the same team? HA! MS would have a COW!

Comment

Originally posted by slinger:
            <STRONG>Then he won't drive for Ferrari.</STRONG>
            But how many years does Schuey have left? You know Ferrari is leary of Kimi going to McLaren, so if they're smart (they are) they need to be looking to counter with the best next-generation driver which is clearly JPM.

Will they not do "whatever it takes" to get him?
            Center Grove Trojans
            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

That would be kinda like teaming Scott Sharp with Greg Ray, wouldn't it?

Comment

Bingo, Truth Detector! Schumie has two kids, he ain't gonna race forever. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari bought out the contract penalties for JPM and then leased his services back to Williams for the year. JPM would be making more cash, and whenever Schumie retires JPM is ready to jump into the Primary Pony.

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
                "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

Racemind,

The scenario you envision is certainly possible, and I like the way your mind works!

I gotta believe that BMW is going to twist Frank William's arm to keep Ralf at No. 1 or Co-No. 1 status. So if you're JPM you're looking for greener pastures anyway.

On the other hand, assuming he can pull himself up from his bootstraps, Williams has an option for Jenson Button for 2003 at chump change. Why lease back JPM if that's going to be a constant source of friction with BMW? Plus FIAT can outbid you for JPM's services anyway...

If I were Frank Williams - I'd let FIAT buy out JPM's contract. Ralf Schumacher isn't JPM by any stretch of the imagination - but a happy BMW and Ralf Schumacher is better than a team divided and capable of getting the job done if Jean Todt, FIAT, or Bridgestone drop the ball.

Comment

A few things to think about:

Williams has already said they want to hold on to him, and rumor is they are trying to negotiate a new deal.

BMW hasn't shown any favoritism to Ralf. Berger has said a lot of good things about JPM's year end performance.

Ferrari without Schumacher, might not be that great a ride. When Schumacher left Benetton, Bryne and Brawn left as well. They might be tired of the job and unwilling to continue after Michael retires, and we already know Jean Todt plans to call it quits. So Ferrari without Schumacher might also be Ferrari without the leadership and technical team currently in place. On the other hand, its a pretty safe bet the there won't be significant management changes at Williams unless Frank or Patrick dies.

Schmacher will probably not want JPM as a teammate, and so far he's been pretty successful at controlling who is picked.

JPM has stated he won't drive for Ferrari with MS as a teammate.

Comment

But MS COULD very well retire after this year. I think that would almost certainly be in the cards if he were to win another WDC in 2002.

To date, Frank Williams and Gerhard Berger have done well at keeping a potentially volatile arrangement from flying apart at the seems. But bear in mind that Allianz's interest is very definitely tied to RS. I think the drama of '86-'87 with Piquet-Honda-Canon is still fresh in Frank's mind.

The Ferrari team manager and tech. director (I think Brawn WILL stay post-MS, IMHO) might be heading out the door - but don't forget that this is one of the few stable outfits in F1. Would could be better than deriving 80% of your financial support from the holding company that manages the team?? Furthermore, I think FIAT/Ferrari will be largely dictating the state of affairs post-2007 Concorde Agreement. All of this suggest that Ferrari can hire top-notch people and retain them, as needed.

Assuming that MS retires, I just can't imagine Ferrari passing up JPM or vice versa. And I think that Frank can consolidate his team's position with RS, Allianz, and BMW by letting JPM go and hiring a Button or Barrichello. This isn't how Frank has handled matters in the past, but with F1 facing an increasingly hazy future with engine suppliers and sponsorship - it might be prudent.

Comment

First,lets start the season first. It isn't a slam dunk that Ferrari will have an easy time of it this year.

1.Williams/BMW will have the most HP again this year.

2.McClaren/Mercedes is PISSED about last year's reliablity,and wants the title again.....BAAAAAAADLY!(New engine in the works)

3.Renault engines this year will have NO CAMS,but instead actuators,will it work? Will it increase HP? Will it have reliability problems? Who knows,but don't count them out.(If this works,expect to see it your car 10 years from now,just as Honda did with variable timing.)

4.BAR's Honda powered cars have been very quick in testing.

5.Finally,Ferrari will have a new engine/tranny combo unit,pretty revolutionary(we F1 fans LIKE NEW TECHIE STUFF),and a new chassis with first of its kind new nose. Will it have reliability problems? Who knows.

This looks to be a very exciting year for F1.(Notice I did not mention Toyota.....its not by mistake).

Regarding JPM.....JPM has a rep being hard on the equipment,lets see him win a few more races first before dawning him as the "second coming".

Fyi,if you want to catch up on F1 news or see what F1 fans think go to www.atlasf1.com,and click on the forum section.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie:
                          <STRONG>That would be kinda like teaming Scott Sharp with Greg Ray, wouldn't it?</STRONG>
                          Whoa! Dude! Nobody is that crazy!

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: Sleepcheap ]

Comment

All the questions about team orders at BMW go out the window, I think, if Juan outqualifies Ralf. err... that is, unless they are running 1-2 at the end, Juan might get the call to let Ralf around. Hmmm.

I think Ferrari needs to do whatever it takes to get Juan if they want to stay number #1. I think he *is* the next big thing.

Renault prediction: the actuators will lead to horrible reliability and Renault will have to fall back on last year's engine.

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Racemind ]

Racemind: Kim Kardashian Indy Watch : Twitter.com/racemind
                            "If NASCAR didn't want us to sleep through the race then why did they give us a COT?"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X