Billboards for rear wings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billboards for rear wings?

Whats the deal with the huge black wings everyone is running at Phoenix. They look like those monstrosoties that F1 ran in the 80's.

[ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: cmjc80 ]
    Preserving America's oval track tradition:
    1.New Hampshire, 2.Charlotte, 3.Dover, 4.Disney World, 5.Las Vegas, 6.Atlanta, 7.Gateway, 8.Nazereth, 9.Phoenix, 10.Fontana, 11.Pikes Peak, 12.Michigan.

They provide a good location for the larger numbers, and, according to some of the teams, may slow the cars down some! Your approval is not required! By the time they reach the CART IRL clones in 2003 you may find them more attractive. The numbers are very easy to see at speed, from a long way off. Now, as in NASCAR interviews, drivers may be able to say "I didn't have anything for the 14 car" and have the fans know who he is talking about.

There is one issue that I couldn't get an answer about, most Dallaras used a side plate with a rectangular cutout in the lower front corner on each side. On the other hand, Penske and a few others used one that appeared to have a slight step towards the rear and a circular cutout, does anyone have an answer for this?

[ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: Mackie ]

Comment

I don't mind them. I guess the idea is similar to the endplates of the wings used on the WoO cars to provide vertical stabilizers to help keep the cars straight through the turns. It's good to see the IRL borrow ideas from Americas #1 OW oval series!

Though they don't quite seem all the same size. Anyone know the story? This one one the Kelley car is reletively shorter:

Whereas this one on the Mo car (and the Penskes) goes further down and looks more like a road course endplate:

>>may slow the cars down some!<<

Is slowing the cars down is a priority? Then how about removing those airboxes... it seems counterproductive to have a device which adds a few Hp only to have to take it away somewhere else. The main problem with the airbox is that it takes away air from the rear wing and endplates in an oversteer condition.. the time when you need that air the most! Look:

>>Your approval is not required!<<

Hey, as long as I'm *paying* for my Nazareth tickets... I'm entitled to make some criticisms
      motorcaster.com

Comment

Same rear wings they ran last year on the miles. The new number on the side plate makes them look bigger.

Comment

I like the way the cars looked in Fontana. I'm talking about the endplates used at Phoenix. THEY'RE HUGE!!!
          1.New Hampshire, 2.Charlotte, 3.Dover, 4.Disney World, 5.Las Vegas, 6.Atlanta, 7.Gateway, 8.Nazereth, 9.Phoenix, 10.Fontana, 11.Pikes Peak, 12.Michigan.

Comment

I can't address Phoenix, but the IRL does have two wing packages, the fast track one and the short track one. An interesting part of tech inspection is that the end plates are removed and the wing profile must conform to a template. That is another way that the IRL controls costs and competition!

Comment

Actually, the Phoenix wings do look like the '80s F1 wings, don't they? At least they got rid of the black-on-white number boxes. Number contrast and visibility is pretty easily policed in the tech lane, if it becomes an issue.
              "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

California Test:

Phoenix Test:

2001 Indy

2001 Pikes Peak

Comment

What, no mention of the differents in the front wings. All IRL cars have run the configurance for the mile and less for the last three years, why is it only now that you noticed the difference in wing sizes.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X