Dinky Olympic Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinky Olympic Sports

I am of the opinion that there are too many sports in today's Olympics. Some, especially speedwalking, definitely don't belong there. On another thread, I jokingly mentioned a few silly (some made-up) sports that would soon be part of the Olympics at the current rate. This thread is for you to mention current undeserving "sports", or to think of your own silly sports to add.

Here are mine...

Synchronized Paragliding: kind of like synchronized swimming, but the contestants perform there moves while hanging from parasails.

Downhill tumbling: roll yourself into a ball and tumble downhill as fast as you can while avoiding obstacles.

Speedcrawling: two events. The athletes lie on their stomachs. All propulsion must be done with the hands and not the feet.

Hide-and-go-seek: Members of one country are it, all others hide. Whichever team has the last non-tagged person surviving gets a point and becomes "it". After one hour, whoever has the most points wins.

Foosball: you may think foosball is not a sport. When you see how fast these guys can hit the ball (without spinning their men, which is illegal), and how accurately they can make the ball rebound off of several walls, you'll change your mind.

Arm wrestling: needs little explanation. Everyone knows how this works. But remember the athletes must always keep their wrists aligned straight with respect to their forearms - no bending!

Ostrich racing: the difficulty of controlling the ostrich while riding makes this much more entertaining than sprints, marathons, ski races, or bicycle races.

-StatMan
    Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

tongue wrestling - mixed pairs )
    Kevin Kalkhoven on Champ Car: "The amount of money we're spending is very little overall and I can afford to run this thing forever."

Comment

The Heimlich event:

A small, skinny guy (aka "The Projectilist") must choke on a large bite of a McDonald's Big Mac - the bite size would be written into the rules.

His teammate, probably a large guy, then performs the Heimlich Maneuver on him, forcefully dislodging the food. Longest distance wins.

Now, some of the difficulties would need working out, such as the size of the bite, and a way to verify that the projectilist is actually choking, and not just spitting the Big Mac for distance, but those are minor details.

Of course, cracked and broken ribs would be a common injury...
      "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Flame posting.

Comment

So when does auto racing become an olympic sport?
          I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Comment

Originally posted by StatMan:
            <STRONG>Hide-and-go-seek: Members of one country are it, all others hide. Whichever team has the last non-tagged person surviving gets a point and becomes "it". After one hour, whoever has the most points wins.

-StatMan</STRONG>
            Sorry, StatMan, Monty Python beat you to it on that one!
            "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by sf-indy-fan:
              <STRONG>Sorry, StatMan, Monty Python beat you to it on that one! </STRONG>

I've never seen the movie. What do you mean?

-StatMan
              Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

Ice fishing.....!
                "It's not the split, it's not the lack of marketing, it's not the days the races run on, it's the product." Tommy Kendall

"....and the DRIVERS are the product !" SJFast

Comment

TV remote racing might be a big new sport.See how many times you can change the channel in one minute.It wouldn't require much equipment either.Just a TV,a remote and a sofa for each competitor.

I might win a gold medal.

USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: slinger ]
                  Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

<STRONG>

-StatMan</STRONG>
                    It wasn't from a movie, it was from the show, "Monty Python's Flying Circus." They may have included the skit in "And Now For Something Completely Different," I don't remember.
                    "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

<STRONG>

-StatMan</STRONG>
                      It was a sketch on the TV show.

The "hider" could hide anywhere in the world, and the seeker had to count to 1,000.

The finals featured a match between a Brit and a Paraguayan. The time to beat was 11 years, 4 months, 26 days, 11 hours, 29 minutes, and some odd seconds.

Very silly stuff.
                      "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The time to beat was 11 years, 4 months, 26 days, 11 hours, 29 minutes, and some odd seconds.
                        IIRC, it ended in a tie...
                        "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

Synchronized Swimming, Solo Division

3-Man Luge (Illegal in 12 states )

XBox, PS2, Nintendo-version playing of all original olympic sports.

- Hadji

"The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be."
                          - Paul Valery

Comment

Now that I think about it, it's hard to get much sillier than Curling...
                            "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by ZenMan:
                              <STRONG>IIRC, it ended in a tie...</STRONG>
                              You are correct, sir!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X