Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Who will be attending the Rolex 24?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Who will be attending the Rolex 24?

This will be my sixth year to attend. Any posters here planning to be in attendance?

If yes, have you heard about the track's new backpack/camera bag policy? If not, you won't like it! :mad:

Right from the speedway site.
    Tough New rules, They must surely be hurting for cash to outlaw everthing but those two small bags!
    aXe
    Some of the new procedures are:

Fans are allowed to bring in one (1) soft side bag/cooler, no larger than 6 x 6 x 12 inches.
    Fans are allowed to bring in one (1) clear plastic bag, no larger than 18 x 18 x 4 inches.
    NOTE: Fans are only allowed to bring in one (1) each of the bags described above and those bags are subject to inspection by security officials.
    No strollers, umbrellas, backpacks, fanny packs, large bags and/or camera bags will be allowed into the grand-stand area for ISC events.
    No ice, other than in a soft side cooler, will be allowed into the Speedway grandstands. And, as in the past, no glass containers are allowed into the Speedway grandstands.
    All items brought through the gate area (purses, scanners, bags of any size, binoculars, etc.) are subject to inspection by security officials.
    None of the above items may be left in or around the gate area if they are not allowed inside.
    To expedite entrance into the facility, guests are encouraged to arrive at the gates as early as possible.
    (* Subject to change without notice.)
    Born Again Race Fan seen at
    www.openwheelracers3.com

Comment

Wait till the middle of the night, in a cold rain, and you will be able to count them, in the stands and out of their cars in the infield. That race is too long, it should start at "can see" and run till can't see," leave the lights off! Sebring has it almost right, they should run 6:30 AM, and run "twelve," getting done in time to post the race in the Sunday paper. Why have a race when you can't see who is racing? Wow, two races that you can see from start to finish, what an idea. LeMans should be the only 24 hour race, IMO.

Comment

Well, I can certainly understand the need for security, but this will make attending the race much less pleasant. I have gotten very hot and very cold in the same 24 hours at that place. Typically, I take a large back pack that contains various clothing options and a sleeping bag for the middle of the night.

With these new rules, I see numerous very long treks from the stands to the infield parking lot. I also predict much shivvering ahead. Oh please--don't let it rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie:
          <STRONG>Wait till the middle of the night, in a cold rain, and you will be able to count them, in the stands and out of their cars in the infield. That race is too long, it should start at "can see" and run till can't see," leave the lights off! Sebring has it almost right, they should run 6:30 AM, and run "twelve," getting done in time to post the race in the Sunday paper. Why have a race when you can't see who is racing? Wow, two races that you can see from start to finish, what an idea. LeMans should be the only 24 hour race, IMO.</STRONG>
          There's something very special about waking up in a motorhome in the infield, looking out the front window, and seeing race cars going by. Spending a few laps just figuring out who's running, walking around a bit to find out who had trouble in the night...heck, if I could, I'd wake up that way every morning...
          "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Daytona has a little bit of everything. Sure, it was alot more bearable when i was young and didn't need non-essential things like sleep and warmth, but there is just a special magic about it. If you think as fans that we get beat out at a 24 hour race, imagine what it must be like for the drivers and crews.

But that is part of the magic. This year, I will be there for the start and until sundown. Then i'll go home and experience the rest of the magic from my warm recliner on speedvision.

And Mackie surely understands the magic of night racing. Hey, Mackie, you gonna have a badge again this May? I might be coming, so we can go to that, errrr, men's club on 16th and have a big laugh.
            I'm dead now.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X