What's wrong with this picture.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with this picture.....

The SCAR ran some of this info in this morning's paper. I did a little research to be sure if it was accurate and apparently it is. I am assuming that these figures are up to date. The guy 15th in points who has not won a race has earned more purse money this year than has the point and money won leader in CART. I saw a big difference in purses early in the year but didn't realize it had carried through to amount to this much.

IRL MONEY won to date:

1 Helio Castroneves $2,285,665 (2 wins)
    2 Felipe Giaffone $1,183,165 (1win)
    3 Sam Hornish Jr. $1,131,815 (3 wins)
    4 Gil de Ferran $1,103,515 (1 win)
    5 Alex Barron $949,315 (1 win)
    6 Tomas Scheckter $840,515 (1 win)
    7 Jeff Ward $840,015 (1 win)
    8 Airton Dare $805,915 (1 win)
    9 Scott Sharp $797,315 (1 win)
    10 Al Unser Jr. $758,365
    11 Buddy Lazier $749,815
    12 Billy Boat $748,865
    13 Eddie Cheever Jr. $739,915
    14 Richie Hearn $719,015
    15 Laurent Redon $709,115

CART Money won to date:

1. Cristiano da Matta $687,750 (5 wins)
    2 Bruno Junqueira $426,500 (1 win)
    3 Patrick Carpentier $421,250 (2 wins)
    4. Dario Franchitti $404,250 (1 win)
    5 Christian Fittipaldi $360,750
    6 Michael Andretti $360,000 (1 win)
    7 Paul Tracy $340,250 (1 win)
    8 Alex Tagliani $323,500
    9 Kenny Brack $294,750
    10 Michel Jourdain $283, 50
    11 Jimmy Vasser $253,750

Now I'm assuming these CART guys all have large retainers coming from the engine manufacturers and sponsors but how long can that last??? To this casual observer it appears that some folks may take a large pay cut and soon. Or else CART is going to have to pick up the difference and that along with the lack of income, TV time buys,ESP programs and other assorted expenses will surely bleed the coffers dry soon. I am not sure what all of this means...I guess I need someone to explain how all of this is going to work long term....

Maybe they are giving the CART drivers stock options instead of more prize money.
    "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

What is it outsided of Indy's purse? It's probably a little bit closer. Then again, that's the beauty of running in the Indy 500.
      He kani 'ano 'e loa kela. Ua 'ai nui anei 'oe ma ke kakahiaka?

Comment

The CART cash reserve will last a long time since CART will have no more than 6 drivers next year.
        When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.
        - Jack Handey

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin:
          <STRONG>Maybe they are giving the CART drivers stock options instead of more prize money.</STRONG>
          That would take an S***Load of Stock Options to even that gap.
          Jim Naden Atlanta, Indiana

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"
          Thomas Sowell

Comment

Originally posted by R_Mears_Fan:
            <STRONG>What is it outsided of Indy's purse? It's probably a little bit closer. Then again, that's the beauty of running in the Indy 500. </STRONG>
            Amen Brother
            "IRL is better at everything except selling themselves." -- Jennifer Floyd Engel, ESPN/103.3 FM

Comment

Didn't Vasser take home more than that for just showing up in May???
              "IRL is better at everything except selling themselves." -- Jennifer Floyd Engel, ESPN/103.3 FM

Comment

Actually, Indy is part of it so it really can't be left out. Vasser made $151,315 for Indy alone finishing 30th.

I just thought that the point leader, 5 time winner in that series had a pitiful amount of money to show for it...

I won't even get into what the NASCAR drivers are winning. Robby is something like 21st in points and has already won over 2 million dollars in purse money. Nearly as much as CastroNeves for winning the 500 and one other race.

Comment

The IRL purses have always been bigger than CART purses. I believe that was one of the things that Tony was using to try and lure teams to the right side.

If I remember correctly the IRL started out with a guaranteed purse of $1,000,000 per race. I don't know if that is still accurate.

Outlaw

Comment

In the early days the ostriches would cluck about how rich all the cart teams were and that the drivers made so much money that purses were nothing more than boob bait for bubba.

Now the sub-four dollar series is reduced to engine subsidies and an additional bonus of $850,000 per car.

Funny how the times can change.

Center Grove Trojans
                    2008 5A Football State Champs
                    2015 6A Football State Champs
                    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by chrisg:
                      <STRONG>The SCAR ran some of this info in this morning's paper. I did a little research to be sure if it was accurate and apparently it is. I am assuming that these figures are up to date. </STRONG>
                      Hey, just for fun post Michael Schumacher's winnings this year .

Different series have different ways of paying their drivers, but you knew that didn't you.
                      Sifaka

Comment

Originally posted by sifaka:
                        <STRONG>
                        Different series have different ways of paying their drivers, </STRONG>
                        What's really interesting is how different series pay their teams.

$1,500,000 engine subsidies and $850,000 bonuses?

Remember when that was a bad thing, sif?
                        Center Grove Trojans
                        2008 5A Football State Champs
                        2015 6A Football State Champs
                        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector:
                          <STRONG>

What's really interesting is how different series pay their teams.

$1,500,000 engine subsidies and $850,000 bonuses?

Remember when that was a bad thing, sif?</STRONG>
                          How could I remember. It's never been done.

Are you talking about the circle thingy that the IRL has? Yes, I remember that the amount is so low that all it does is give fancy money to the rich and allow teams like George Mack to stink up the IRL. Yes, I remember that.

You gotta a bone to pick if CART decides that it wants to decently fund competitive teams. I don't. Once the split heated up again after TG's Hammer remark, Pook would be silly not to spend CART's money to put up the best field he can
                          Sifaka

Comment

Originally posted by sifaka:
                            <STRONG>
                            How could I remember. It's never been done.

Are you talking about the circle thingy that the IRL has? Yes, I remember that the amount is so low that all it does is give fancy money to the rich and allow teams like George Mack to stink up the IRL. Yes, I remember that.

You gotta a bone to pick if CART decides that it wants to decently fund competitive teams. I don't. Once the split heated up again after TG's Hammer remark, Pook would be silly not to spend CART's money to put up the best field he can</STRONG>

Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Do these numbers also account for driver salaries? With only a few exceptions, CART drivers command a MUCH higher salary than IRL drivers. The prize money is for team members.
                              Joe V.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X