Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the Lucky Dog be a Publicity Stunt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the Lucky Dog be a Publicity Stunt??

I've been thinking, bad habit I know, that maybe this whole Lucky Dog in IndyCar thing may be a stunt to get attention. It breaks from the media first, yet there is no initial info from INDYCAR, then they post a survey to get fan input. Something seems fishy to me.

What do you think about this scenario?
    Discussion of the Lucky Dog gets IndyCar more press in the NASCAR community. Fan dislike is going to be publicized next. Then in a couple days INDYCAR announces that that after considering fan and driver input the idea has been rejected.

I have heard Lucky Dog isn't all that popular with the avid NASCAR fans and maybe rejection of the concept will attract some of them to watch some IndyCar.
    You can be a critical fan without being a Critic... Or can you? Quit your b'tchn and enjoy the racing :D

I hope they play it off that way, but that's definitely not what's happening. Cavin has printed that it's going to happen. Considering he was speculating that they might pull it this morning, I doubt that he would've printed it without getting confirmation. Yet, they don't bother to post anything about it on indycar.com. No press release... nothing. It's clear to me that they know people don't want it. I think they're just hoping if they don't talk about it people will forget about it.

Comment

Its not like its anything new for ideas like this to be intentionally leaked ahead of time to try and gauge the possible response. It happens all the time. NASCAR does it constantly when they're getting ready to change things.

Comment

I obviously have no idea what will happen and Cavin could be dead on, but it might be worth mentioning here that he has been wrong before....a lot, seemingly.
        http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 9rows View Post
          I obviously have no idea what will happen and Cavin could be dead on, but it might be worth mentioning here that he has been wrong before....a lot, seemingly.
          If he's wrong it won't be because his story is wrong, it will be because Randy changed his mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Gomer Simpson View Post
            I hope they play it off that way, but that's definitely not what's happening. Cavin has printed that it's going to happen. Considering he was speculating that they might pull it this morning, I doubt that he would've printed it without getting confirmation. Yet, they don't bother to post anything about it on indycar.com. No press release... nothing. It's clear to me that they know people don't want it. I think they're just hoping if they don't talk about it people will forget about it.
            There's a poll on Indycar.com
            "When it's cold outside, I've got the month of May" - The Temptations

"Remember, there is a person on the other side of that post - And for whatever reason, we all gravitated to this site so we must have something in common." - CARTer

Comment

True, but that's a long way from anything official.

Comment

Interesting theory...
                "I just WON the Indy 500 & now I'm goin' to DETROIT!!!" :) :) -Ryan Hunter-Reay 500 banquet, May 26, 2014

Race CARS Not DOGS!!! Adopt or foster a retired greyhound -Me

Comment

Originally posted by vigo003 View Post
                  Its not like its anything new for ideas like this to be intentionally leaked ahead of time to try and gauge the possible response. It happens all the time. NASCAR does it constantly when they're getting ready to change things.
                  I think they may have learned something from NASCAR, and I don't mean the Lucky Dog. Their recent trend has been to promise the worst, and then deliver something somewhat palatable. Compare that to the ICS' approach of promising the best, and then...
                  This may be a start to that. I know it takes a while for news to filter through the various levels of the Indycar reporting hierarchy, but it's been more than a day; surely if they had really already decided to do this, it would have been done.

Comment

If you move the lapped cars out of the way to the back of the pack on yellows and pit them on different laps from the leaders, how is anyone supposed to ever get a lap back without some sort of a Fortunate Falcon rule?

It doesn't seem there will be any sort of "wave-around" anymore. So this is the solution to that.

Comment

It wasn't intended to be, but this was my thought yesterday. Play it off as one....

"We were going to do the Lucky Dog, but it's not real racing and our hardcore fans revolted!".

PS - if Indy is using Cavin as a PR tool...well... that would be pathetic.
                      Last edited by 11rowsof3; 03-11-2011, 09:39 AM.
                      Every race I run in is in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Indy is the most important thing in my life. It is what I live for. - Al Unser Jr.

Everything I ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. - Eddie Sachs.

Comment

IndyCar published the rules. Die hard fans got angry.

Why would IndyCar then put a poll about the rule, when they could easily assume most votes would be for "no"? To revert the change and claim they listen to fans?

Yes, it sounds logical.

But also, it gives the feel that IndyCar isn't sure about what directio to take. I'm not sure if Randy Bernard would use that kind of tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by Snow61 View Post
                          There's a poll on Indycar.com
                          as of now the pole should help kill the idea...

Would you like to see a car receive a lap back via the 'Lucky Dog' concept?
                          Yes, great idea
                          14.28%
                          No, keep it the same
                          85.72%
                          Total Responses: 8224

Comment

Originally posted by 11rowsof3 View Post
                            PS - if Indy is using Cavin as a PR tool...well... that would be pathetic.
                            As long as he voluntarily went along with it, I'm not sure it would be that bad of an idea.

But that's definitely not what happened. I posted this in another thread, but Randy confirmed to me via facebook PM two nights ago that they were planning on instituting the rule. There's no way they saw this level of backlash coming, and credit to them for reconsidering their position.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Gack View Post
                              If you move the lapped cars out of the way to the back of the pack on yellows and pit them on different laps from the leaders, how is anyone supposed to ever get a lap back without some sort of a Fortunate Falcon rule?

It doesn't seem there will be any sort of "wave-around" anymore. So this is the solution to that.
                              All anyone has to do to get their lap back is stay out during the caution and go off-sequence on pit stops. If they do that, they will get a waive around before the restart and get back on the lead lap.

Racing to regain a lap is nearly impossible anyway once the leaders start lapping the field because they have faster cars, plain and simple. I strongly favor strategy over a "gimmie" if anyone is able to go down a lap and get it back later.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎