Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi OT: New Jersey NASCAR Plates

http://news.southjerseydirtracing.co...=1&MsgID=30004

Another way to inject your series into the main stream. Think this would work for IndyCar? Seems like a no-brainer for Indiana for starters.
    "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

AFAIK, in Indiana specialty plates are restricted to non-profit organizations only (public universities, etc.)...that's why the IMS plate isn't really an IMS plate, but an IMS Hall of Fame Museum plate -- because the HOF Museum, unlike the Speedway itself, is a non-profit organization.

Comment

Originally posted by mdkiel View Post
      http://news.southjerseydirtracing.co...=1&MsgID=30004

Another way to inject your series into the main stream. Think this would work for IndyCar? Seems like a no-brainer for Indiana for starters.
      This is more of a promotion for Ryan Truex and the Turkey Derby than NASCAR IMO. Truex is from NJ, no?
      Gregg Sebald

Comment

Originally posted by Seadog View Post
        This is more of a promotion for Ryan Truex and the Turkey Derby than NASCAR IMO. Truex is from NJ, no?
        I was referring to how NASCAR branding is everywhere from WalMart to Lowes to McDonalds to the previews at the movie theaters to Coke vending machines to Daytona 500 ads on December NFL games and now...on your liscense plates.

If I got a little plug in for the Turkey Derby, so much the better. And yes, the Truex's are part of a long line of prestigious jackasses from New Jersey.

:izod2
        "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedwayRyan View Post
          AFAIK, in Indiana specialty plates are restricted to non-profit organizations only (public universities, etc.)...that's why the IMS plate isn't really an IMS plate, but an IMS Hall of Fame Museum plate -- because the HOF Museum, unlike the Speedway itself, is a non-profit organization.
          The IMS Hall of Fame is setup for tax purposes. The building and cars are still private property and the profits still go to IMS. Most of the "non profit" part of the operation goes for things like maintenance and certain salaries. It's somewhat complex but the IMS license plate is just another part of a tax dodge. I've seen copies of tax forms for the museum (they're available to the public) and it's somewhat confusing even after you see them. But don't think for a minute that IMS isn't making money from museum visitors. BTW, IMS also gets paid whenever they allow one of their cars to be displayed at outside functions.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post
            The IMS Hall of Fame is setup for tax purposes. The building and cars are still private property and the profits still go to IMS. Most of the "non profit" part of the operation goes for things like maintenance and certain salaries. It's somewhat complex but the IMS license plate is just another part of a tax dodge. I've seen copies of tax forms for the museum (they're available to the public) and it's somewhat confusing even after you see them. But don't think for a minute that IMS isn't making money from museum visitors. BTW, IMS also gets paid whenever they allow one of their cars to be displayed at outside functions.
            Evil corporate profit. How dare they.
            "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
            Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
            www.fairtax.org

Comment

I was referring to how NASCAR branding is everywhere from WalMart to Lowes to McDonalds to the previews at the movie theaters to Coke vending machines to Daytona 500 ads on December NFL games and now...on your liscense plates.

If I got a little plug in for the Turkey Derby, so much the better. And yes, the Truex's are part of a long line of prestigious jackasses from New Jersey.

:izod2
              Is Steve Krissoloff one of those NJ jackasses? Just askin'.
              Gregg Sebald

Comment

Is Steve Krissoloff one of those NJ jackasses? Just askin'.
                I believe he is, or was, just like me. KevMc is the original, I'm just infringing on the brand.

Comment

I believe he is, or was, just like me. KevMc is the original, I'm just infringing on the brand.
                  I recall Steve's hometown as Parsippany (sp?). Do New Jerseyans miss the defunct Trenton and Flemington tracks? I recall that Flemington was more of a rectangle with four corners (5/8" mile?). Trenton also had an odd layout IIRC.
                  Gregg Sebald

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedwayRyan View Post
                    Are the Colts plates tied to some kind of non-profit org? I'd be interested to hear how that tie in works!
                    "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Comment

Personally I miss Flemington for the modifieds, but nobody cared about Trenton. In NJ we have countless specialty plates, Honestly, I'd rather go with a 2 dollar bumper sticker than a $50 license plate. We have NASCAR and racing fans here, a lot of them, although mostly you can ID them by the white number 3 on a windshield, like on my car. Parsippany is interesting, because that was once rural land and is now suburbanized sprawl. Until about 20 years ago, they had a small dirt and paved track up there where people raced 3/4 midgets ironically. 30/40 years ago, NJ was a hot bed for open wheel racing.
                      "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Originally posted by Mario4ever View Post
                        Are the Colts plates tied to some kind of non-profit org? I'd be interested to hear how that tie in works!
                        The CIB... they go to help pay for Lucas Oil.

Comment

I recall Steve's hometown as Parsippany (sp?). Do New Jerseyans miss the defunct Trenton and Flemington tracks? I recall that Flemington was more of a rectangle with four corners (5/8" mile?). Trenton also had an odd layout IIRC.
                          You really know how to make a grown man cry don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
                            In NJ we have countless specialty plates, Honestly, I'd rather go with a 2 dollar bumper sticker than a $50 license plate.
                            I wasn't asking necessarily who would buy them and who wouldn't. I was making a statement that it's another way to get your series logo in front of and burned into the people's eyeballs. That's the way NASCAR does it, that logo is on everything from Cheerios to UnderPants.

Comment

Originally posted by Fro View Post
                              The CIB... they go to help pay for Lucas Oil.
                              Yeah, I thought of that kind of as a joke, but seriously...if the plates have to be tied to a non-profit is it REALLY the CIB? Or something else?
                              "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X