Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splash-n-Go: worth a look if you haven't seen it yet

http://blog.indianapolismotorspeedwa...and-go-oct-19/

Tim Richmond, Bryan Clauson, Levi Jones and James Hunt all in one blog, along with Alain Prost, Bernie Ecclestone, ESPN, FIM, Formula One, Indianapolis 500, Korean Grand Prix, Michael Schumacher, MotoGP, motorcycle racing, Smoke, Superbike World Championship, Tony Stewart, USAC, & Wilbur Shaw
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

He links to a great commentary/post by Donald Davidson on Wilbur Shaw. What a great photo, and how well done!
    IndyCar Advocate: A blog about enjoying the best sport in the world! Stop on by!
    --
    On Twitter as @indycaradvocate

Comment

The ESPN 30 for 30 on Tim Richmond was very good.

Anyone have any information/memories about his short IndyCar career? It was when I was just a child and do not remember him.

Comment

Originally posted by ThumperAC View Post
        The ESPN 30 for 30 on Tim Richmond was very good.

Anyone have any information/memories about his short IndyCar career? It was when I was just a child and do not remember him.
        Three Indy 500's and a couple other CART races. Apparently did very well in 1980...

http://racing-reference.info/driver/Tim_Richmond
        http://racing-reference.info/race/19...napolis_500/UO

Comment

Splash-n-Go is pretty sweet.
          My guardian angel, she wears a hard hat.

Comment

Originally posted by bduddy View Post
            Three Indy 500's and a couple other CART races. Apparently did very well in 1980...
            In the other two races outside of Indy, Richmond completed a grand total of 4 laps while crashing out of both races.

I'm not sure how that qualifies as doing "very well", but that's just me.
            The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Tim Richmond's car quit at the end of the 1980 500 and my favorite driver, Johnny Rutherford, had won the race and then stopped his car to give Richmond a ride back to the pits. Once they arrived along pit lane, Richmond hopped off of the Pennzoil Chaparrel's sidepod gave Rutherford a congratulatory handshake before Rutherford drove the car to victory circle. What a cool moment. Richmond kind of disappeared for a few years and then started winning races in NASCAR.

Comment

Two copies of this print were auctioned off in different years of the Annual Brian's Wish Season Opener Party at the Brickyard, each time drawing among the highest bids. The prints were signed by both the artist (Ron Burton), as well as by the subject (Tim Richmond).

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...02.65742728051

At the top of the poster you can see Tim "hitching a ride" back to the pots aboard Johnny Rutherford's Yellow Submarine.

Burton did another representation of that incident in a painting as well:

There's a small photo on this page: http://www.allleftturns.com/tim-rich...orable-moments
                "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

I met Tim in a local Indy drinking establishment when he as still a USAC sprint car driver. He was quite young and not at all like his NASCAR personna. It must've been 1978.
                  Tim was able to get a ride in Indy cars because of the USAC/CART split, the real split.
                  There are a lot of stories and rumors surrounding Tim, but when I casually knew him he was a very nice young man, but then money and fame have changed a lot of folks.
                  Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Indy meant a lot to him. On the 1980 500 broadcast there is an interview with him - he says he wants to best Foyt - he wants to be the first five-time 500 winner. Despite his great run at Indy (his speeds all month were competitive and he lead on race day) owners didn't give him a second look and he had to buy his way into the 1981 500. In 1982 he swept both NASCAR races at Riverside (who said sprint car drivers can't drive road courses?). IMO losing him was a major blow that started the slippery slope of Indy hopefuls turning toward NASCAR.
                    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

The part that got my attention the most was when they showed that clip of his 1980 Michigan 200 crash. Tim hit the wall in turn 1 and 2 and spliting the car in two, some of the rear end of the car was stuck in the armco wall! from the research I did.
                      But overall a very good life story of a good racer.

and BTW the 1980 indycar part of the show was my favorite its not to often that footage from 1980 is seen on TV these days......I was surprised they dug that 1980 Michigan 200 NBC Sportsworld footage up! I didn't know Dan Gurney was in the booth with Paul Page!!! Thats Cool!

also while Im at it...... Tim Richmond did a little TV commentary with Paul Page later that year at the last race at Phoenix which was the race that JR flipped his Chaparral pretty badly... after that happen Tim explained on air how JR helped him out so much during month of May and hoped he was OK.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                        Despite his great run at Indy (his speeds all month were competitive and he lead on race day) owners didn't give him a second look and he had to buy his way into the 1981 500.
                        While Richmond practiced fast, he wrecked his car before the first weekend of quals. He "lead" on race day because of pit sequencing. He was a non-factor in the race. He had to buy his way into the '81 race because he got bumped out of the field and was uncompetitive in the race.

Richmond turned out to be a great stock car driver. He was not a great Indycar driver in the brief time he tried.
                        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X