Honda Aero Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Aero Kit

With all the talk about all these other manufacturers possibly joining the series in the future, and creating their own engines and kits, why isn't Honda making their own kit? They have already committed to producing their 6 cylinder engine, why not an aero kit too? It seems like RB & TC could have worked that into the engine deal...

Please discuss
    "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark
    " it only makes sense for the world's most prestigious fried chicken to pair up with the world's most prestigious watch brand" ---D. Byrd

I would like to know how the league plans on keeping someone from putting an aero kit from engine manufacturer 'A' on a car with an engine from engine manufacturer 'B'. Let's say hypothetically that Toyota came back. You could have entries in the field that were Toyota/Honda, or the other way around. I would think that would be the biggest disincentive for an engine maker to produce an aero kit.

Comment

I'm trying to picture a Civic with no fenders...
      "Factually Unfounded Opinion" Rep. Elijah Cummings
      "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

How do you know Honda won't? It's very early to be making that assumption isn't it?
        Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Comment

How are cars suppose to be named anyway for 2012?
          Will Dallara appear anywhere on a entry list? If Lola gets paid to create a kit, would it be Lola appearing on a entry list instead of Dallara, or both?
          Who would be the chassis builder? Lola or Dallara?

Comment

Originally posted by Baigu View Post
            Will Dallara appear anywhere on a entry list? If Lola gets paid to create a kit, would it be Lola appearing on a entry list instead of Dallara, or both?
            The way it will work is whoever builds the Aero kit gets mentioned. DAllara is simply making the safety cell to Indycar's specs. Now Dallara will also have an Aerokit
            Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Comment

The Dallara-Lola-Swift-Boeing-Ilmore-LEGO-Cosworth-AER-Toyota brought to you by Honda ran great today!
              “Anything is possible if you don’t know what you’re talking about.”
              -unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Gomer Simpson View Post
                I would like to know how the league plans on keeping someone from putting an aero kit from engine manufacturer 'A' on a car with an engine from engine manufacturer 'B'. Let's say hypothetically that Toyota came back. You could have entries in the field that were Toyota/Honda, or the other way around. I would think that would be the biggest disincentive for an engine maker to produce an aero kit.
                You mold the aero kit around the engine. This could be a simple as the placement of the exhaust outlets.
                Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you.

http://twitter.com/WhateverJoel

Comment

Originally posted by fenderless View Post
                  I'm trying to picture a Civic with no fenders...
                  I'm a Ford man

Comment

Take a look at the cars around you on the highway. Do they all look the same? There is a reason for that.

Ditto for the aero kits.

There is one fast combination within the context of the rules, and once that is discovered everyone else either piles on board or scraps their investment.

With a handful of people saying they might be interested in building aero kits, basically you have two or three companies competing for one engineering design on a car which is static, by definition. Does Honda, or the fourth, firth or sixth manufacturer have to get involved in throwing money into that hole? I don't think so.

Maybe they realize what a good thing they have already at Honda, and any further advancement into a competitive area of the sport costs more than they are willing to spend. It's a cash cow for Hnda now. Why spoil a good thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Baigu View Post
                      Ultimately, it's the tub/chassis that defines a race car. Starting 2012 the cars will still all be Dallaras with (hopefully) somewhat different body styles in certain allowed areas. And the league may try to say that the cars will be called only by the names of the body/aero kit manufacturers. That's OK as far as it goes but race cars have always been defined by their frames/tubs and the cars will still be Dallaras. I've been involved in some aero updates myself in past years (putting 1983 March bodywork on a 1981 tub and 1986 aero bodywork on 1985 March tub) and you don't change the name of a chassis with bodywork changes. The cars in question were still listed as 1981 and 1985 Marches respectively. Going further, in race car and antique car restoration once again it is always the frame/tub that defines a car.

Comment

Originally posted by jcmark611 View Post
                        You mold the aero kit around the engine. This could be a simple as the placement of the exhaust outlets.
                        That's not what I mean. I know it's possible to put one aero kit on another engine, my question is how does the league keep teams from doing it? Why would an engine manufacturer build an aero kit if there was a chance it could end up coupled with an engine from one of their competitors? I don't think Toyota or Honda would ever want to see a Toyota/Honda Indy car.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BEAR View Post
                          Take a look at the cars around you on the highway. Do they all look the same? There is a reason for that.

Ditto for the aero kits.

There is one fast combination within the context of the rules, and once that is discovered everyone else either piles on board or scraps their investment.

With a handful of people saying they might be interested in building aero kits, basically you have two or three companies competing for one engineering design on a car which is static, by definition. Does Honda, or the fourth, firth or sixth manufacturer have to get involved in throwing money into that hole? I don't think so.

Maybe they realize what a good thing they have already at Honda, and any further advancement into a competitive area of the sport costs more than they are willing to spend. It's a cash cow for Hnda now. Why spoil a good thing?
                          Yet somehow F1 and every other series with relatively open rules seems to do just fine...

Comment

I will mold the Aero kits.....it would be the most effective way to produce them. There are some wonderful filled PP's that will the do the job if the Dallara is handling impact.
                            You cannot wrangle chaos. You can only try to plan for it.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post
                              Ultimately, it's the tub/chassis that defines a race car. Starting 2012 the cars will still all be Dallaras with (hopefully) somewhat different body styles in certain allowed areas. And the league may try to say that the cars will be called only by the names of the body/aero kit manufacturers. That's OK as far as it goes but race cars have always been defined by their frames/tubs and the cars will still be Dallaras. I've been involved in some aero updates myself in past years (putting 1983 March bodywork on a 1981 tub and 1986 aero bodywork on 1985 March tub) and you don't change the name of a chassis with bodywork changes. The cars in question were still listed as 1981 and 1985 Marches respectively. Going further, in race car and antique car restoration once again it is always the frame/tub that defines a car.
                              Dallara MPH has a certain cachet...
                              "Factually Unfounded Opinion" Rep. Elijah Cummings
                              "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X