X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing Guide - 1970 Popular Mechanics

Another oldy but goody, starts on page 3:

http://books.google.com/books?id=5dc...page&q&f=false

Page 30 features "Driving with Dan" as in Dan Gurney.

Great story on the "new" F-14 Tomcat too!

Nice! I read the entire magazine, it brought back memories. As a 13 year old in 1970 I was just getting started in racing...that summer I graduated to mud scraper on the sprint car my dad sponsored.

Somewhere in the magazine there was a paragraph about global warming, stating that within 50 years the earth's temperature would rise 9 C, sea levels would rise four feet, and snow in the lower 48 would become a thing of the past. Kinda funny.

Thanks for the link!

Comment

Wow...Great posr.

I read most of it and loved the old track diagrams. I knew about all of the tracks listed history already, but had no idea about one.

I know Phoenix has a road course on the inside, and it is used all the time, but I had no idea the road course actually went out through the back stretch with an outside course and then came back in.

Looks like it was the normal thing back then, except in today's ISC Rovals they are all inside the oval.

Interesting....

Comment

first line stock car section.

Comment

Originally posted by brad pbc View Post
          first line stock car section.
          You mean where it says:

"Most popular form of U.S. auto racing"!?

Ricky

Comment

Originally posted by MPalmer View Post
            Wow...Great posr.

I read most of it and loved the old track diagrams. I knew about all of the tracks listed history already, but had no idea about one.

I know Phoenix has a road course on the inside, and it is used all the time, but I had no idea the road course actually went out through the back stretch with an outside course and then came back in.

Looks like it was the normal thing back then, except in today's ISC Rovals they are all inside the oval.

Interesting....
            The road course at Loudon goes outside the track at the backstretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Milton View Post
              The road course at Loudon goes outside the track at the backstretch.
              I already knew that one though Tommy, but good point and atleast that one is still in use. I was going from the stand point of that they still use the road course at PIR, but not the outside part, much like MIS use to have, etc.

It is amazing though, how they built the NHS oval on the existing road course location at Loudon, and kind of merged them both together.

Comment

I'm going to buy that GTO in the ad....
                the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Joe Leonard was my favorite driver. I'm ashamed to say I didn't know he was a NASCAR ROtY.

Comment

Joe was USAC stock ROTY in 64, not Nascar.

I love the story about the guy from Yamaha showing Joe how to ride a motorcycle when he was driving for Gurney.

"So I turn the grip this way to work the throttle? And this lever works the clutch? Got it. Lemme give this a try...."
                    Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
                      Joe was USAC stock ROTY in 64, not Nascar.

I love the story about the guy from Yamaha showing Joe how to ride a motorcycle when he was driving for Gurney.

"So I turn the grip this way to work the throttle? And this lever works the clutch? Got it. Lemme give this a try...."
                      Article sez NASCAR in 1963 and USAC in 1964. Joe provided lots of thrills at my first Indy 500 in 1968...Bobby Unser was a good friend of my dad so I was yelling the entire second half of the race for Bobby to get going. I was pretty happy when the turbine coasted to a stop on what, lap 196?

My dad bought a scalper ticket for me so I was sitting by myself inside Turn 2. A guy was selling water transfer decals of AJ Foyt's 1964 winner, $.50 each or three for $1...I handed him four quarters and he disappeared. I found out pretty quick I had been given two decals and a blank piece of paper. Lousy *** hustling an eleven year old kid...

Comment

Billy Wade was the 1963 GN ROTY.

AFAIK, Joe's only GN race was the 1969 Firecracker for Smokey Yunick. Joe drove for Smokey in 69 at Indy.
                        Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by rrrr View Post
                          Article sez NASCAR in 1963 and USAC in 1964. Joe provided lots of thrills at my first Indy 500 in 1968...Bobby Unser was a good friend of my dad so I was yelling the entire second half of the race for Bobby to get going. I was pretty happy when the turbine coasted to a stop on what, lap 196?
                          Parnelli's turbine car coasted to a stop with a bearing failure on Lap 197 (he completed 196, I believe) -- but that was in '67, when Bobby finished 9th. In '68, Jones didn't drive and the two turbine cars (Joe Leonard, who was leading, and teammate Art Pollard) both dropped out with broken fuel shafts on Lap 191, giving Uncle Bobby the lead (and the win).

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. I was pretty young in the 70's, but I was old enough to remember that racing felt different then than it does today. There wasn't the pomp and circumstance of the sport that there is today, and this article lends credibility to this belief. It was about the man and machine more so than a popularity contest - for all forms of racing.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X