Bring Back Visor Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring Back Visor Cam

Hey Versus/ABC-ESPN - one invention that I very much enjoyed watching on the
    Champcar side was Visor Cam. Not only does it give the closest perspective
    to what the driver actually sees, but it also gives the "sensation" of intense
    speed/vibration/etc. If it is contractually possible - please consider bringing
    this piece of technology back! I don't mean for it to replace the current
    in-car cameras (which are great by the way), but simply to be used here and
    there for an added (very entertaining) extra dimension. Honestly - I would
    *love* to see Helio entering turn 1 at Indy through his visor. Holy crap - man!

What do you all think??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOUJS3F-5XY

Agreed - it is what it looks like in the car! Great stuff
    And don't forget the heat!

Comment

Originally posted by Openracer View Post
      Agreed - it is what it looks like in the car! Great stuff
      Yes, it's the real-deal POV of a racing driver. Indy car broadcasts did use it for a little while-I seem to remember Dario having one at Indy one year. It freakin' rocks!
      "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Maybe because of the HD cameras they can't do one for the helmet?
        Faster...Faster...Faster...I know it, you know it, that's all that matters!

Comment

Originally posted by TexRacer View Post
          Maybe because of the HD cameras they can't do one for the helmet?
          If they can put an HD camera in a phone they can put one in a helmet.

Comment

I'd like to see them bring back a few of the camera locations from the past. The one right on the nose of the car was always cool.

Comment

At this point - why wouldn't it be possible to have a camera on *every* car? Is it really that prohibitively expensive?
              At least for the 500.

Comment

Originally posted by Ydawg View Post
                At this point - why wouldn't it be possible to have a camera on *every* car? Is it really that prohibitively expensive?
                At least for the 500.
                Do the broadcast facilities have the capability to manage 33 individual HD signals simultaneously IN ADDITION to the numerous HD cameras already employed in the broadcast?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
                  If they can put an HD camera in a phone they can put one in a helmet.
                  good point. then let's get it done, right?
                  Faster...Faster...Faster...I know it, you know it, that's all that matters!

Comment

The visor cam in Champ Car was awesome. A great idea and another that should be picked up in Indycar.

Comment

I liked the view looking back at the driver too from older Indy 500s, like they used to show Al Unser Jr. with

Comment

Yeah, we definitely need more camera angles where driving the cars looks fast, wild and out of control and dangerous. The current HD steadicams totally work against that.

Most of the reason why people think the Champ Cars (or the old cars from the 90s) are so much faster than the current car is the camera angles/placement they used in TV production.

Comment

Completely agree. I'd love to see IndyCar in a promotion like this one:

http://gizmodo.com/5667217/sports-camera-action

Comment

Originally posted by Ydawg View Post
                            At least for the 500.
                            yeh, I agree that would be the best
                            but my question is, does every in-car camera require at least one person sitting there the entire race with a toggle switch watching the various views available and choosing which one to broadcast?

it seems whenever a car is in a tight situation or is crashing, someone is there right on top of it choosing whether it's showing the front view, rear view, cockpit view, etc. as the action is playing out- I also get the impression that the only view that gets recorded is the one that is chosen at that instant

and do the Indy Car cams still have the swiper mechanisms that quickly clean the lens when moisture/oil is tossed it's way during a wreck? someone has to be really quick on the trigger to do that- a famous example was the Mark Martin Talladega wreck where he went plowing into the infield guardrail after being caught up in a big one - the lens was all mucked up with oil and the cam operator cleared it just in time to see him go flying head-on into the barrier
                            "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                            "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                            "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Justhalc View Post
                              I liked the view looking back at the driver too from older Indy 500s, like they used to show Al Unser Jr. with

As for all 33, maybe they don't have to be the fully functional HD version. A forward pointing camera with cleaning mechanism on
                              all 33 cars with the fully functional cameras on the typical ~10 cars would still catch a lot of action

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X