Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's why Audi won't be in Indycar

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...s-based-series

To be honest, I've never thought they'd be in IndyCar.
    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

All signs are pointing to Honda only in 2012.

Hey, at least we get turbos.

Comment

But doesn't this contradict what was stated in the Kirby interview thread, where the head of Audi pooh poohs the Nascar/IICS model of motorsport as entertainment? Seriously, is there any form of motorsport less technically relevant than Grand Am?
        "A lot of information on the Internet quickly occupies niche spaces, for specialized audiences, which use it for their own purposes."

Comment

Seriously, is there any form of motorsport less technically relevant than Grand Am?
          Reread the article. DTM will be a separate series and race from Grand Am DP and GT and will run to 2013 DTM rules, not Grand Am rules..

Being discussed in the SCCA/ALMS/sports car forum.

The 12-race US-based championship for the extreme DTM cars will begin in 2013 ...The addition of a DTM-style sprint race will increase the attraction for our fans and help grow all GRAND-AM series.
          What do you mean by technically relevant? Relevant to what?
          DP and GT use engines much closer to production than NASCAR, ALMS or DTM. GT cars have the option of tube frames, but can also be built using production tubs (check all the Porsches). While tightly controlled, there are multiple engine and chassis mfr represented in DP and GT.
          I suppose the above could make them more technically relevant than IndyCar.
          BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Cygni View Post
            All signs are pointing to Honda only in 2012.

Hey, at least we get turbos.
            And Cosworth.
            I am a fan of the Verizon IndyCar Series, Formula 1, and AMA Supercross. Go Oriol, Seabass, RHR, and J.R.

Comment

Another sports car series?
              "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

My gut tells me this will do as well as the North American Touring Car Championship.

Comment

Actually this shows exactly why Audi was interested in Indycar. Run DTM cars with Audi badges and use a variation of the same engine to run Volkswagens in Indycar. IMHO of course. But apparently they don't want to compete against an engine spec written to cater to the Honda V6, or so the rumors go.
                  Thanks Downforce!

Comment

Thanks for trying to cheer me up with yet another positive post Ann. The bottom line is I couldn't care less about Audi. I will show up or tune in as long as there is and IndyCar series on the planet. If the lack of Audi makes the IICS go away, then my fun money and attention will go somewhere else.
                    Gregg Sebald

Comment

Yeah it would be great if Audi was going to be in the IICS, but isn't happening....so who cares.

As for Honda being the only engine manufacturer in 2012........RB said at the beginning that 2013 would be a more realistic situation engine competition could happen. So, I'm not suprised at all.
                      "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Comment

a high dollar touring car series (a SUPER high $ one at that) doesnt make any since here in north america. i love DTM but this has fail all over it

Comment

Originally posted by Qdoba Addict View Post
                          Actually this shows exactly why Audi was interested in Indycar. Run DTM cars with Audi badges and use a variation of the same engine to run Volkswagens in Indycar. IMHO of course. But apparently they don't want to compete against an engine spec written to cater to the Honda V6, or so the rumors go.
                          A 'variation'...? I thought the Audi DTM R14+ ran a refined Mugen 4L NA V-8...? It would take more than a simple 'variation' to transform that to the new IndyCar engine spec, i would think... but I ain't no engine guy. Maybe just cut 'er in half and slap on a turbo... but somehow I don't think that would be such a simple 'variation'...

Comment

Originally posted by use2know View Post
                            A 'variation'...? I thought the Audi DTM R14+ ran a refined Mugen 4L NA V-8...? It would take more than a simple 'variation' to transform that to the new IndyCar engine spec, i would think... but I ain't no engine guy. Maybe just cut 'er in half and slap on a turbo... but somehow I don't think that would be such a simple 'variation'...
                            I was referring to future DTM cars that will presumably be running the 1.6L Global Racing Engine:

"Everybody is going the four-cylinder route and next year the four-cylinder 'Global Racing Engine' will be in rallying and touring car racing," Baretzky pointed out. "A couple of months ago I met Jean Todt and said I would like to see this engine adapted for every major series the FIA runs. I said this is the future and we will expect to see more and more manufacturers committing to these engines."
                            Source: http://gordonkirby.com/categories/co..._is_no257.html
                            Thanks Downforce!

Comment

Originally posted by Langhorne View Post
                              But doesn't this contradict what was stated in the Kirby interview thread, where the head of Audi pooh poohs the Nascar/IICS model of motorsport as entertainment? Seriously, is there any form of motorsport less technically relevant than Grand Am?
                              Not in three years.
                              "It takes a special level of incompetance to make a schedule this terrible. America is possibly the greatest country in the world overall for tracks. To make a bad schedule in America takes effort. A special kind of effort. A kind of effort that only IndyCar could come up with."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X