Franchitti is a modest man!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franchitti is a modest man!

Dario Franchitti says he does not feel like he belongs among the prestigious list of IndyCar legends despite clinching his third championship earlier this month. The title decider at Homestead not only saw the Scot get the better of title rival Will Power, but also marked a second historic double for Franchitti, as he won the championship in the same year as his second Indianapolis 500 triumph.
    Franchitti stands as only the fifth driver to achieve the double more than once in his career, having also won both Indy and the title during his successful 2007 campaign with the then-Andretti Green Racing team.
    At the age of 37, Franchitti joins IndyCar greats Louis Meyer, Wilbur Shaw, Roger Ward and AJ Foyt in the list of drivers to double up for a second time - but is amazed to be mentioned alongside them.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87438

Nice to see some positive news!
    I am a fan of the Verizon IndyCar Series, Formula 1, and AMA Supercross. Go Oriol, Seabass, RHR, and J.R.

Probably hard to put into perspective while you're still racing, when Dario hangs it up (and I hope that's a long time from now) he'll have an amazing career to reflect on.... :izod2
    the man in expensive shoes

Comment

I heard him say this exact thing in a live interview. He deserves a ton of respect both for his attitude, skill, and leadership in the series amonst the drivers. I think Dario has really come into himself the last couple years. I questioned how much his heart was in it in the past. But he has really turned my opinion around. And I think the more he races the more he wants to accomplish. I wonder if he will consider adding a Le Mans victory to his achievements later in his career. He clearly is in rare company right now. As are a few present IndyCar drivers. We will look back at them remembering them as the greats we watched.
      Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Comment

Originally posted by numrounofan View Post
        Probably hard to put into perspective while you're still racing, when Dario hangs it up (and I hope that's a long time from now) he'll have an amazing career to reflect on.... :izod2
        What if NASCAR results would only count in distant future?
        "The IRL has let me down.... 2002 was the last year of the IRL... They pushed out the guys that they created the sport for..." - Billy Boat

Comment

Its cool how much he respects the history of the sport. I've always liked hearing how he has the Jim Clark room in his home.

Comment

Originally posted by The Stickman View Post
            He deserves a ton of respect both for his attitude, skill, and leadership in the series amonst the drivers. I think Dario has really come into himself the last couple years. I questioned how much his heart was in it in the past. But he has really turned my opinion around. ... He clearly is in rare company right now. As are a few present IndyCar drivers. We will look back at them remembering them as the greats we watched.
            I could have written this myself.
            "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
              I could have written this myself.
              too bad you didn't.
              77 Forever - Rest in Peace Dan.

- @KBrughelli11
              - @AcrossTheBricks

"Life is too short to be consumed by the circumstances that make us sour." - Helio Castroneves

Comment

Originally posted by fastmaster26 View Post
                too bad you didn't.
                What does it matter? - it still echos my thoughts.
                "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

He's one of the top drivers in Indy racing history. Always been a fan. Of course he's a homeboy too. I've met him for a long talk and I greatly respected his courtesy.
                  Reason is not automatic. Those who do not believe in it cannot be conquered by it. And, the trouble with being punctual is that there is nobody there to appreciate it.

Comment

Would love to see how good he would be back in CART's heyday of the 80's and early 90's. Dario is one hell of a driver no doubt. I would put him right up there with the greats regardless of era.

Comment

Originally posted by The Stickman View Post
                      I heard him say this exact thing in a live interview. He deserves a ton of respect both for his attitude, skill, and leadership in the series amonst the drivers. I think Dario has really come into himself the last couple years. I questioned how much his heart was in it in the past. But he has really turned my opinion around. And I think the more he races the more he wants to accomplish. I wonder if he will consider adding a Le Mans victory to his achievements later in his career. He clearly is in rare company right now. As are a few present IndyCar drivers. We will look back at them remembering them as the greats we watched.
                      I too was one who disliked and cared little for Franchitti, I thought of him as a whinny prima-donna. My attitude towards him first started changing after he won his first Indy 500. Then after last season my attitude changed to the point of actually liking him. He has shown to be a appreciative, gracious winner and a very talented driver.
                      ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

There are plenty of modest men who have a lot to be modest about. Not so Dario - he is a genuine talent, loves the sport in his bones and is gracious and knowledgeable and appreciative of history and current issues alike.

I think that much of his recent success comes from what Lance Armstrong defines as the difference between a man and a boy ... patience. Dario is a man.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X