Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric racing cars (don't worry, not at Indy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric racing cars (don't worry, not at Indy)

I know this is off-topic, but I'm hoping the mods will indulge me a little since it's the offseason.

There's a lot of talk about introducing hybrid power to race cars. KERS, the new Porsche 911, the DeltaWing - they all talk about bringing alternate power plants into racing, since it's relevant to what the manufacturers are doing in their road cars. The problem is that as big a change as the DeltaWing was aesthetically, quiet race cars running on electricity is an even bigger shift. So nobody wants to be on the hook for making that radical change.

Yet there are a bunch of companies out there making electric cars, and at least three who are using performance and styling as their marketing play (Tesla, Audi, and Fisker). I know very few people here would drop some cash to go watch the Electric 500, but how about starting smaller? What if during the Sebring, Daytona, and Petit weekends, there was a fairly short race - maybe 50 miles - open to electric vehicles only. Make the rules fairly open, but stipulate that cars must run the race on one set of tires and one charge. Make the distance long enough to be a challenge, but short enough that existing technology can get it done while still actually racing for position. Make the lightest little chassis that would make Colin Chapman proud, and let's see if Tesla really IS the best electric drivetrain out there.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Already been done...

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/wheels/flc.htm

It was a snoozer.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
      Already been done...

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/wheels/flc.htm

It was a snoozer.
      But those aren't really car companies doing it. I'd be far more interested in Tesla and Nissan going head to head to see who has the best electric drivetrain, since both of them claim they're ready to sell them to the public.
      Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Comment

Tesla isn't doing much of anything despite the half billion dollar gift that Obama gave them...

Comment

They've recently released the latest version of the roadster and will begin deliveries of the Model S sedan in 2012.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Tesla isn't doing much of anything despite the half billion dollar gift that Obama gave them...
            Not true, they've sold enough cars, they've had to do two recalls.

http://cleantech.com/news/4517/tesla...ctric-car-indu
            http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ic-roadsters/1

BTW, Tesla has sold just over 1,000 Roadsters and has taken deposits for about 2200 Model S sedans.

Yes, Tesla got a $465MM loan (note loan, not gift) from the DOE.

And Nissan got $1.6Bn, Ford $5.9Bn from the same loan funding source.
            BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

The FIM runs an electric motorcycle championship along certain MotoGP races. I caught part of a race at Laguna Seca, and I thought it was pretty exciting... there was a duel or two during the (short) race, and a last-lap pass as the leader attempted to conserve energy...

Comment

Saw one race that was a companion event to a USAC show at IRP... it was my first, and last.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X