Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon Kirby interviews Audi's Ulrich Baretzky

Good read.

"We are now at a major deciding point in motor sport history to precisely define where motor sport is going," Baretzky emphasized. "If we go strictly in an entertainment direction like NASCAR and IndyCar are going it is a short term solution and it will not last very long."

Baretzky is also a proponent of Ben Bowlby's Delta Wing concept and has been one of the sport's leaders in pushing the FIA to adopt the 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder 'Global Racing Engine' as the basic power unit for a wide variety of international motor sport categories.

http://gordonkirby.com/categories/co..._is_no257.html
    Open the pod bay doors, HAL

If I wanted to hear someone complain, I would just go sit in a retirement home.

Kirby is just ...thinks he has all the answers.

And honestly, the idiots that think efficiency is sexy are just dumb. I don't care if it gets 70 miles to the gallon or not. I can't stand Al Gore and I don't want his desires determining the direction of racing.

I want a loud, powerful, kick ass car for obvious reasons.

I want it to connect to history (because unlike boomers, my generation cares about history).

And, lastly, I don't think a race car should look like a phallic symbol.
    Last edited by Sybil D. Sobydianz; 10-13-2010, 11:27 AM.
    i love indycars!!!

Comment

OK... but care to comment on the actual comments....?

Edit: That would be the ones from Ulrich Baretzky... the "Audi guy"... from the company that everyine is all hot and heavy about possibly being a future engine player in IndyCar...?
      Last edited by Sybil D. Sobydianz; 10-13-2010, 11:23 AM. Reason: had to reword taht one...

Comment

Audi isn't coming to IndyCar, he's made that pretty clear. Baretzky can sit in the retirement home with Kirby, as far as I'm concerned. I'm sick of hearing both of them whine.

Comment

As long as IndyCar and NASCAR race on ovals it's going to be difficult for either series to be relevant for auto makers (in today's environment) and still be entertaining to the fans. They could attempt to make the engines more efficient, but it would come at the cost of speed on ovals. Road racing series are at an advantage because they can implement hybrid technology along with the smaller motors.

IndyCar certainly needs to be more attractive to manufacturers, but at what costs?
          Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you.

http://twitter.com/WhateverJoel

Comment

Am I taking crazy pills or what? I thought the GRE would fit into the new chassis?!
            "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark
            " it only makes sense for the world's most prestigious fried chicken to pair up with the world's most prestigious watch brand" ---D. Byrd

Comment

Originally posted by Formula Indy View Post
              Am I taking crazy pills or what? I thought the GRE would fit into the new chassis?!
              I believe it would. The question is probably more whether or not it would be powerful enough to compete with the twin turbo six.

Comment

Also, when was that article written? I thought I remember reading something very like that a little while ago.

Also again...if one of Audi's top guys believe so strongly in the GRE, then maybe he can explain why Audi is not in the list of manufacturer's of developing one and having it ready to go in 2012. Sorry, I don't buy that kind of bs. In addition, its dumb for motorsports to not recognize that they are competing for entertainment dollars. Now, you can argue about the best way to get those dollars. But I think you have missed the boat if you think you are not in that competition.

Comment

The glaring reality nobody wants to accept is that Honda is no more a friend to Indycar than ISC was.

They NEVER should have caved to Handa.

Comment

*yawn*

My guardian angel, she wears a hard hat.

Comment

This has all happened before ... this will all happen again.

I can't wait until 2018, when the debate is all about how we can go with a bigger, more powerful engine, so racing can connect with fans' emotions.

And I can't wait until 2026, when the debate is all about how racing can become more relevant to the automotive industry.

I'm sure Gordon Kirby is a nice enough fellow. But I watch racing for fun. Therefore, I try to be positive. If I wanted to follow something that made me fraught with worry all the damn time, I'd follow the Knicks. Geez.

Look, I like the idea of the GRE. I think for touring cars, rally cars, and sports cars, it's great. I also like the Delta Wing. I think a road racing series could run the DeltaWing using the GRE along with an open set of rules for a hybrid system, and put on some great races. I hope ALMS makes that formula the new LMPC class one day.

But it won't work for F1 (and I don't think they're actually proposing it there), and it won't work for IndyCar (for most of the same reasons).
                      Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Comment

Originally posted by No_Fenders View Post
                        The glaring reality nobody wants to accept is that Honda is no more a friend to Indycar than ISC was.

They NEVER should have caved to Honda.
                        Oh, that's been accepted, at least buy a few on this board, including myself as far back as 2004. It was discussed then for the League to contract a casting of a common block and head to allow re-builders to use this as a foundation and not be beholden to any manufacture again.

It didn't and won't happen because they like the money that smaller independents can't provide.

The 4cyl used in midgets could used for Indy Lights (add electronics) giving you 4 manufactures ( I think, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, GM?) but that will never happen.

All that said, who really cares what some Audi exec is saying. He's not planning on coming to Indycars anyways unless there company has some unfair advantage.
                        Terrible moderators can destroy great forums

Comment

Sorry he just seems bitter that RB had the nerve to not pick his GRE engine formula as the sole way. He states.
                          "Racing shouldn't be boring," Baretzky added. "There should be a variety of technical solutions which will attract people who are technically interested and the most efficient car should win. If this message is contained in the rules then we must not be shy and afraid of the future. We have to go there. It will take some effort. It will take a community of common thinking to convince all the Randy Bernards of the world who are not courageous enough to make a decision like that to make this decision for the sake of motor sport."
                          And yet he wants to exclude V-6's. How is that having a variety if all the engines are inline 4's? And he implies that Inline 4's are not welcome in the IndyCar series and yet the rules specifically state any number of cylinders under 6 in any configuration. He also says
                          I told him that his biggest problem is not having engines, but with the rules he has created for 2012 again he has no engines. Other than Honda nobody will do a V-6.
                          He knows this how? How does he exactly know no one other than Honda will do a V-6? He doesn't. Sorry he is simply stating his biased opinion, and doesn't like that his program wasn't selected lock stock and barrel, even though a GRE engine would be legal.
                          Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Comment

Originally posted by Canth View Post
                            I believe it would. The question is probably more whether or not it would be powerful enough to compete with the twin turbo six.

Toyota used a Turbo inline 4 to beat up on twin turbo V-6's and NA V-8's in IMSA. No reason why it can't happen again.
                            Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Comment

Originally posted by No_Fenders View Post
                              They NEVER should have caved to Handa.
                              The IRL didn't "cave" to Honda. Honda singlehandedly kept the series going and the IRL was thankful for the lifeline and the money.
                              "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X