The Novi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Novi

I posted this in Nostalgia, but, I want more to access this sound clip. Here is the complete qualification run of Bobby Unser in the Novi. You also get Tom Carnegie announcing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryW5Q...eature=related

--

Now there's a shocker...Novi posting about the Novi...

Nice find...
    Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

Thanks. One of the things I cannot find a way to describe for young race fans is the SOUND of those Novis. Thanks again

Comment

THAT was awesome! I can't imagine seeing and hearing that beast in person. If only I had a time machine...
        To a New Yorker like yourself, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Comment

Now if only someone with the name Granatelli or Turbine posted something like this

But yes, this is awesome

Comment

thanx novi,, I was there,, too cool,,,,,
            I love the sport more than I hate the past,

Comment

I did not realize at the time what I was witnessing on the third day of qualifications in 1965 - I saw the last NOVI qualify by Herk. But I still remember he was turning laps in the 157 mph range. Tombstone Life - must have really impressed me as it was my first time to be at the track by myself and only the third trip there that I had.

Watched it rain on a qualification day in "maybe" 1955 or 1956 at 3 or 4 years of age after seeing some cars on the track from stand with the "X" stairs to the top.

I saw the 1963 500 from the infield at 11 years of age and being impress Gordon Cooper was there not long after being the first U.S. astronaut to orbit over night in the last Project Mercury series.

Glad the NOVI is one of my memories from that real "FIRST" day at the track and it was the day I caught the "racing bug fever" that must be treated with a dose of "speed" each May since. There is no known cure, just the treatment for it.
              Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post
                I posted this in Nostalgia, but, I want more to access this sound clip. Here is the complete qualification run of Bobby Unser in the Novi. You also get Tom Carnegie announcing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryW5Q...eature=related

--
                NV... that was like nine minutes of sex.

Thank you SO kindly.
                "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                --Danny Noonan

Comment

I never made the qualies at Indy, just the races.
                  This was one to remember. Not for Bobby Unser in the Novi, but for his team mate who qualified in the middle of the front row next to Parnelli and Don Branson.
                  Herk qualified the Novi just short of the pole and the night before the 500 he and Parnelli met at the old White Front tavern over on 16th. St.
                  The word was that they had a little bigger than friendly bet on who would lead the first lap in the following days 500.

My seat that 500 were up in the entrance to three, on the outside of the track. The drama started just after the green flag dropped. Parnelli, on the pole, got the drop on Herk and led into the first turn. Herk was having none of it. He stuck his foot in the Novi in the middle of the short chute and the game was on.

Now, this may be hard for some of you to believe, but I swear it happened. Almost everything that day was powered by an offy. The Novi sounded different, it was an 8 cylinder, different pitch... Well, you could hear that Novi screaming above Parnelli's offy comming out of the second turn and down the back stretch.
                  What a wail!
                  Herk was maybe a hundred yards behind Parnelli exiting two but he had the Novi winding. They both arived at three almost side by side. Herk, running faster than Parnelli, put the classic "slide job" on Parnelli, going into three. Parnelli didn't lift. As Herk completed the move by going high in the middle of the chute, Parnelli dove to the inside, carried the speed and passed Herk underneath in the chute.
                  Parnelli won the battle of four but it wasn't over yet...
                  By now Herk had the Novi running faster through four than on the previous pace lap. Parnelli was a sitting duck. Herk swung the Novi to the outside comming out of four and kept the momentum. The Novi's scream could be heard clear around the track! Herk passed Parnelli about two hundred yards before the S/F and just disappeared.
                  It's still one of the greatest moments I have ever seen at Indy...

ZOOOM
                  "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
                  James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X