500 Miles to Go by Al Bloemker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 Miles to Go by Al Bloemker

The IndyCar season is over, the days are getting shorter, and maybe you'd like to curl up with a good book or download something for that eReader or iPad you've requested from Santa.

Here's a suggestion: 500 Miles to Go by Al Bloemker

Great story. Read it online or download the free eBook!
    Paul Woods
    IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

Great book. Thanks for reminding me
    My web sites

www.speedwaydaily.com

http://www.davethekingwilson.com

@ohmanitstheking

"Stand on the gas and turn left"
    Jimmy Bryan 1955

"Nice hustle Wilson, can you be any slower?"
    Wally Leavitt-IMS Radio Network 2008

Comment

Very awesome! I've got my reading material downloaded for the night!
      IndyCar Advocate: A blog about enjoying the best sport in the world! Stop on by!
      --
      On Twitter as @indycaradvocate

Comment

Funny, just put that on my wishlist on Amazon. Two more chapters to go on Gentlemen Start Your Engines by Wilbur Shaw. Fantastic book, very hard to put down. Got mine for $20 shipped off ebay. Prior to that I read Umbrella Mike and Eddie Called Me Boss. All great Indycar history. Next I'm going to start getting thru the Clymers Indianapolis Race History 1909-1946.

Comment

Al Bloemer's book is OK, IMHO, but what bugs me about it is the made-up conversation "quotes".
          So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by trevor83 View Post
            Funny, just put that on my wishlist on Amazon. Two more chapters to go on Gentlemen Start Your Engines by Wilbur Shaw. Fantastic book, very hard to put down. Got mine for $20 shipped off ebay. Prior to that I read Umbrella Mike and Eddie Called Me Boss. All great Indycar history. Next I'm going to start getting thru the Clymers Indianapolis Race History 1909-1946.
            "Gentlemen Start Your Engines by Wilbur Shaw"- Should be required reading for everyone on this board and Randy Bernard, especially his comments regarding road courses. His comments should settle the issue once and for all. If only he had lived. He really got it.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodStone1969 View Post
              Al Bloemer's book is OK, IMHO, but what bugs me about it is the made-up conversation "quotes".
              I can understand that, but it's the telling of a story as opposed to a history book. Obviously there's no way anyone would know what was really said, but given the context I think it's okay.
              Paul Woods
              IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

Comment

I was Mr. Bloemker's mail room boy way back when.

I have a great book that I just promised to loan to my race fan neighbor....Sam Posey's "Mudge Pond Express". It's a great historical perspective of racing in the late 60's and early 70's. I read it when I was in high school, and 30 years later my Mom picked up that very same copy for me when the Speedway library had put old books up for sale. Might be one of only 10 copies ever sold....but it is a really good read.
                Scouts?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingpylon View Post
                  I can understand that, but it's the telling of a story as opposed to a history book. Obviously there's no way anyone would know what was really said, but given the context I think it's okay.
                  Yeah. Makes it a fun read, and really livens it up.
                  IndyCar Advocate: A blog about enjoying the best sport in the world! Stop on by!
                  --

Comment

Originally posted by THIRD TURN View Post
                    "Gentlemen Start Your Engines by Wilbur Shaw"- Should be required reading for everyone on this board and Randy Bernard, especially his comments regarding road courses. His comments should settle the issue once and for all. If only he had lived. He really got it.
                    I read this several times in elementary school. I checked it out of the school library. In the days before we saw much live racing on television, it played a big role in my love affair with the 500.

Comment

ah yes, the "Annual Great Racing Winter Read" thread

some of my favs that haven't been mentioned yet;

Go! The Bettenhausen Story
                      Let 'Em All Run- Chris Economaki
                      Donald Davidson's History of the Indianapolis 500
                      The Unfair Advantage- Mark Donohue
                      "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                      "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                      "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Stand on It--Ace
                        Four Guys and a Telephone--Mike Lawrence
                        Colin Chapman--Mike Lawrence
                        Cooper--Doug Nye
                        Ford, the Dust and the Glory, v1
                        Mark Donohue--Argetsinger
                        Walt Hansgen--Argetsinger
                        Can Am Challenger--Bryant
                        AJ -- Neely
                        Offenhauser--White
                        Kurtis Kraft--White
                        High Performance--Robert Post
                        Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by GoodStone1969 View Post
                          TOTALLY. Really put me off.

"Mudge Pond Express" now is quite the collector's item. Only one under eighty quid on abebooks.
                          "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Man, my Christmas list for books just keeps getting longer. Thanks--a couple I haven't heard of on here.
                            --

Comment

Has anyone read Wall Smacker by Pete De Paolo? I have it enroute, another ebay steal at $14 shipped.

A few more to add to the list:

Clown Prince of Racing - Sachs
                              They Call Me Mr. 500 - Granatelli
                              A Hand For A Wheel - Kenyon
                              Zanardi's book (forgot the name)
                              A Checkered Past: My 20 Years As Indy 500 Chief Steward - Binford
                              Thunder at Sunrise: A History of the Vanderbilt Cup, the Grand Prize And the Indianapolis 500, 1904-1916

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X