Little comment I find interesting in Tom Bowles CNNSI nascar column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little comment I find interesting in Tom Bowles CNNSI nascar column

Anyone know of this underground movement back to the OW ranks???

5. What if Robby Gordon can't get a sponsor for 2011? An underreported story surrounds a different type of NASCAR race down the stretch: A battle for the 35th and final "locked in" spot in owner points. Whoever has it after Homestead earns an automatic bid to the first five events in 2011, perhaps making the difference between finding a sponsor in this economy and auctioning off a team this November.
    Right now, owner/driver Gordon is holding onto the position but just barely after stepping back and letting a funded driver, rookie Kevin Conway, take over to keep his team in business. It's an off-track boost to the bank account, albeit one that's come with a long-term price. The freshman has run awful, failing to record a top-30 finish while the team's main competition, the No. 38 of Front Row Motorsports, has closed to within 25 points with six races left.
    That could leave Gordon on the outside looking in next year, a fatal blow to one of the sport's vibrant, independent personalities who's been a staple on the Cup Series tour for well more than a decade. Instead, his best opportunities could now come in the open-wheel ranks, a telling sign of an underground momentum shift that's seeing ownership and driving jobs shift back into IndyCar

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz123o0tpMp
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

He's not coming back to Indycar.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
      ...a telling sign of an underground momentum shift that's seeing ownership and driving jobs shift back into IndyCar...
      I'm drawing a blank on this one... Need a little help...

Other than Dario, can someone please point to real examples of this 'momentum shift' that have actually taken place....?

Comment

Only thing I can think of is Verizon increasing its Indycar funding while removing itself from Nationwide. Even then, that is still all within the Penske umbrella. As far as driving jobs, Indycar did have increased car counts this year - but that was not at the expense of any NASCAR operation.

Comment

This "underground momentum shift" seems like wishful thinking to me.
          It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

yeah...I'm getting sick of all these INDYCar writers treating NASCAR like a red-headed stepchild....
            the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Maybe it is so underground we just have not heard of it yet.-cap

The only way RG would come back is as an owner and only if there is money to be made.

Comment

Originally posted by numrounofan View Post
                yeah...i'm getting sick of all these indycar writers treating nascar like a red-headed stepchild....
                lol!!!

Comment

Yeah, it seems like wishful thinking. Granted, I think the conditions are in place to lead to a shift in momentum at some point, but that's at least a few years down the road, and only if a bunch of things go right in the meantime, many of which are far from a sure thing. I'm optimistic, but mostly because I choose to be optimistic about things I do for fun.

And yeah, it's annoying when IndyCar fans or writers kick NASCAR. Fontana's crowd for the Cup race this weekend was by no means a packed house, but if IndyCar was drawing crowds like that at it's troubled venues, we'd see a lot more drivers being paid to drive, and we'd all be talking about ways IndyCar could continue its explosive growth.
                  Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Comment

Call J.U.L.I.E. before digging for that 'underground momentum shift' so you don't hit a gas line. I don't think Dario opened any floodgates.

Hornish, Montoya, Almendinger, Leffler and R. Gordon don't seem to be shifting.

Robby Gordon is very unpredictable which makes me unable to rule out his coming to IndyCar. The timing is just about right for him to do it for next year. The last year for these chassis means he could get some easily and cheap. He has enough of a name that if and it remains a big IF there is more than one engine manufacturer in the series for 2012 someone would sign with him. The same could go depending on which companies manufacture aero packages. He's not going to drive for anyone but himself he has never found a boss he likes. If he's got a manufacturer deal he somehow finds enough sponsorship for most of a season over the years. He could keep his NASCAR organization going by renting out the team on a race to race basis.
                    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                    "They're criminals"
                    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X