Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INDYCAR Assessment by Curt Cavin

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ws|text|Sports

The first thing wrong is they talk about about sponsor woes and in the printed version of the Indy Star Randy is resting his foot on a Goodyear Eagle tire. Granted when you look at it on the web it shows him in the museum with his foot on it and the whole car but for goodness sake Firestone is the partner!!!!
    I am blessed to have witnessed "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing" 50 times!

I see zero wrong with the article. It just tells it like it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post
      I see zero wrong with the article. It just tells it like it is.
      Ditto that.
      "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
      --Danny Noonan

Comment

I was talking more about the photo.The printed version is different. It is just Randy and a Goodyear!! No car, no background.
        I am blessed to have witnessed "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing" 50 times!

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Red View Post
          I was talking more about the photo.The printed version is different. It is just Randy and a Goodyear!! No car, no background.
          Mine shows the whole picture.
          Proud fan of Helio Castroneves - 4 TIME INDIANAPOLIS 500 Winner 🏆

Comment

Originally posted by Mearsfan53081 View Post
            Mine shows the whole picture.
            Your print edition of The Star?

Comment

"there are not enough sponsors to properly attract more viewers" Whaaaaat?

Shouldn't it be "there are not enough viewiers to attract more sponsors"?

If IICS leadership is waiting for sponsors to attract more fans we have a fundamental problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dvs View Post

If IICS leadership is waiting for sponsors to attract more fans we have a fundamental problem.
                the way I read the article that's Cavin's line, not Bernard's

no matter who said it, I agree that it's goofy
                "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

While Robin Miller is on one extreme end of the very small IndyCar reporting spectrum Cavin is firmly entrenched in the most bland section of it. There are some interviewers who actors, politicians business people are unwilling to sit down with because they ask the tough questions and can make people own up to their shortcomings. Nobody is the least bit reluctant to talk to Cavin because he isn't going to ruffle a single piece of foam in a pillow much less feathers.

So far, he has reshaped the event schedule, re-emphasized oval-track racing, worked to stabilize the company's budget and invested in open-wheel racing's lower divisions. He even has changed the name of the sport.
                  Reshaped? it was basically a 50/50 mix and we're going to have to see how the sponsors react to the dropping of the ISC tracks in major markets. When Peak shiftes their race title sponsorship elsewhere will be noted and if they remain as the pole award is to be seen.

Re-emphasized oval racing? Really dropped three ovals and replaced them with two and TBA how is that re-emphasizing ovals?

Jeff Belskus starting making cuts and it would seem Randy isn't allowed to spend Hulman George money the way TG did so how much of his cost curtting was his idea or forced on him? Which menas how much is really being invested in the lower divisions of OW racing when one driver gets a partial FIL season. The rest don't seem to have any easier path than they did before. $350,000 invested in an unknown 16 year old is a long term risky investment at best.

The cosmetic name change to appease a handful of bitter so called fans and one hack writer who care less about the future of the sport and more about retaining some source to feed their hatred is hardly earth shattering and goes unnoticed by 99% of racing.
                  Everyone feels the pain of a depressed economy, including Bernard, who had to back down from his one-price-for-all sanctioning fee with race promoters so he could get enough tracks on the 2011 schedule.
                  Hold the phone there honey, just which tracks got lower than the one price samctioning fees to get on the schedule? Was there a smokescreen put up to cover some other reason why those ISC tracks got dropped in faovr of new venues? How much is the new unproven promoter at Milwaukee paying? Is the theory of getting good crowds at new venues which drop off in years two and three so they are replaced by different venues creating a schedule that has a certain percentage of dates changine every year part of the strategy behind the canceling of the one price?

Randy wouldn't tell Danica the length of his contract, I thought it was five years but here's Cavin stating three, but he did say if he couldn't get things turned around in two years he shouldn't be kept around. The series needs some three run home runs and he's drag bunting for singles. If he doesn't come up with some difference makers by the start of next season he's going to be done a year from now.
                  "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                  "They're criminals"
                  "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Red View Post
                    in the printed version of the Indy Star Randy is resting his foot on a Goodyear Eagle tire. Granted when you look at it on the web it shows him in the museum with his foot on it and the whole car but for goodness sake Firestone is the partner!!!!
                    I saw that in the printed paper too and it irked me at first, but then I realized that it was not a stock car wheel so I knew he must have been standing next to a vintage Indy car. And then I realized most people would not know or care about the difference.
                    Paul Woods
                    IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

Comment

Originally posted by dvs View Post

I think he (Cavin) is just referring to "activation." Master of obscurity.
                      My guardian angel, she wears a hard hat.

Comment

Goodyear has got to be laughing about this. What a screw up by somebody who is supposed to be Mr. Marketing.

Protecting Ovals?? Are you kidding me.

The article is pathetic...........as is the 2011 schedule..........as is their plan for new cars.

Comment

I think it's been stated here and elsewhere that the Milwaukee track is being rented by IICS and the promotor was hired by the IICS to handle the promption end. Have not heard how much the State Fair Park Board is getting for rent, but it will be a pretty penny. I have heard in the $30,000 range for the weekend-incudes staff and equipment

The promotors sell tickets (still waiting to hear from them), advertising and concessions.
                          "If there are no dogs in Heaven, when I die I want to go where they go" Will Rodgers

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Simple incompetence is a far more sinister force in the world than evil intent.

Comment

Originally posted by THIRD TURN View Post
                            Goodyear has got to be laughing about this. What a screw up by somebody who is supposed to be Mr. Marketing.

The article is pathetic...........as is the 2011 schedule..........as is their plan for new cars.
                            I don't think the 2011 schedule is pathetic. I also don't see anything wrong with their plans for the new car. It was the best decision that could be made given the circumstances. And as long as the powers to be agree more needs to be done for the series to grow, I won't have an issue with them.
                            Get your head out of your past!!!

Comment

Originally posted by THIRD TURN View Post

If you ask me, there's nothing wrong with the 2011 schedule, there's nothing wrong with the 2012 car. Actually, so far I think Bernard has done a fine job

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X