Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So when a driver brings a sponsorship.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So when a driver brings a sponsorship.....

How does a team and driver come up with a salary? If I'm the driver no way does the car owner get fat off my work. When I see drivers shopping a sponsorship(like Rahal is doing now) is part of the search, or negotiations, predicated on what Rahal is telling them what he is going to make? I have to assume the driver is full control of his salary if he is bringing the cash. When a driver is looking for a ride without sponsorship he is asking what their salary is going to be... I'm assuming a driver with sponsorship is telling the team what their going to make....correct?
    We want to relate to Americana. I went to the Indy 500 and that was Americana. I sat in various turns and I didn’t see any champagne drinkers, but I saw a lot of beer drinkers. We appeal to the wine and cheese crowd, but we also appeal to the masses – the beer drinkers.” Randy Bernard

I think you can only assume that if he's going to a team that needs a driver. For example, I don't think that driver would be dictating price with Ganassi as his program is running fine as it is. And Ganassi is going to provide you a place to win, how much is that worth to you? Whereas if you go to a team with less success and resources you can probably spend with them just enough to get by but you'll probably tool around in the middle to rear of the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakePitLounge View Post
      How does a team and driver come up with a salary? If I'm the driver no way does the car owner get fat off my work. When I see drivers shopping a sponsorship(like Rahal is doing now) is part of the search, or negotiations, predicated on what Rahal is telling them what he is going to make? I have to assume the driver is full control of his salary if he is bringing the cash. When a driver is looking for a ride without sponsorship he is asking what their salary is going to be... I'm assuming a driver with sponsorship is telling the team what their going to make....correct?
      The sponsor pays the driver's salary.
      "It takes a special level of incompetance to make a schedule this terrible. America is possibly the greatest country in the world overall for tracks. To make a bad schedule in America takes effort. A special kind of effort. A kind of effort that only IndyCar could come up with."

Comment

I have to assume the driver is full control of his salary if he is bringing the cash.
        I would assume that the amount of driver sponsorship that goes to the team and what is retained as 'salary' is part of the negotiation with the teams. It could well be that the amount of the driver's sponsorship is dependent on him getting a ride ($1MM with a ride, $100K without a ride). As with all of these deals, YMMV.
        BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by SnakePitLounge View Post
          Correct me if I'm wrong but money talks, no?
          I doubt a major sponsor is going to get involved without reviewing all information first, part of that being the driver's salary. I doubt the driver is dictating much of anything.

Comment

A driver with a sponsor gives the team owner as much as is required to get the ride. The driver has no reason to tell the team owner how much the driver is getting from the sponsor, the driver sponsor/deal is a separate contract from the driver/team owner contract. If a driver comes up with $8 million he can make the choice, better team that wants $6 million leaving him $2 million or maybe a lesser team wanting $4 leaving him $4 million for himself.

But it's like everything else in racing, it isn't made public and nobody outside those involved can do anything but guess. You don't even hear dollar figures thrown around very often by Robin Miller because I'm sure some on either side give him figures but even RM knows they're probably self serving and not reliable.
            "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
            "They're criminals"
            "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

it all realy depends how much $$$ you have in hand . if its skinny the driver could get nothing for driving

Comment

Originally posted by paultracy3 View Post
                it all realy depends how much $$$ you have in hand . if its skinny the driver could get nothing for driving
                If the driver puts all of his sponsor's money into the team, does the driver then accept a 40% of winnings deal like we did in the old days? If so, this would still equal about $485,000.00 driver salary for a full-season deal (figured at 40% of purse; $60K per race and $250K @ Indy) even if you finish last at every race.
                INDYCAR... Home of the BEST RACING on the planet!

Comment

I wonder if 'professional' football players play for nothing...

Comment

If I'm giving you 9 mil, I damn sure what to know how much you're getting & want to see a budget. I'm sure as hell not going to allow you to go to Coyne and give him 4,keeping 5 when RP might have a crew available & will require 7 to run you, leaving you with 2.

now if I give you 3.5, get whatever you can & keep the rest but the deal is that I'm still on your race suit & sidepods, get comps for races & all the beer my friends & I can drink.

Not sure how anyone else does it?

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan View Post
                      I wonder if 'professional' football players play for nothing...
                      I wonder if professional football players ever played in front of sub 1.0 ratings.
                      "It takes a special level of incompetance to make a schedule this terrible. America is possibly the greatest country in the world overall for tracks. To make a bad schedule in America takes effort. A special kind of effort. A kind of effort that only IndyCar could come up with."

Comment

Originally posted by RogerRamjet View Post
                        If I'm giving you 9 mil, I damn sure what to know how much you're getting & want to see a budget. I'm sure as hell not going to allow you to go to Coyne and give him 4,keeping 5 when RP might have a crew available & will require 7 to run you, leaving you with 2.

now if I give you 3.5, get whatever you can & keep the rest but the deal is that I'm still on your race suit & sidepods, get comps for races & all the beer my friends & I can drink.

Not sure how anyone else does it?
                        Z28 just addressed that point. The driver/sponsor and team/sponsor deals are separate.

Comment

If a driver brings the sponsor, most of the time they take a % of race winnings. Typically the team owner takes 60%, so from 0-40% is negotiated the most.

Comment

Originally posted by I500 View Post
                            If a driver brings the sponsor, most of the time they take a % of race winnings. Typically the team owner takes 60%, so from 0-40% is negotiated the most.
                            Except that there is no prize money in IndyCar anymore. TEAM money took care of that. Only the 500 still pays an actual purse.

BTW, you guys don't really have a clue as to how little of that sponsorship money actually goes for racing. You wouldn't believe all of the people (both at the sponsoring company and on the actual raceteam payroll) who end up with big cuts of the funding. And proportionally even more money is wasted on the smaller teams. Everybody and their brother takes a cut. A lot of the smaller teams are just a legal scam. But no matter what the "owner" (usually an ex-mechanic with just a rolling toolbox invested....or sometimes an ex-driver with no skin of their own in the game) must be taken care of. Part of the reason Indy racing is so screwed up today is because the real RACERS are almost never calling the shots.

Comment

At Toronto Tomas Scheckter said he was paid by how high he finished on a sliding scale in that case.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X