Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's keeping these guys from acting like themselves!?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's keeping these guys from acting like themselves!?!?!?

They DO have a personality, just i guess there not allowed to show it.

Man some funny **** in that video
    In the IZOD IndyCar series we're just kids enjoy the thrills in a 200 MPH candy store.

Yup, Indycar needs to let the fans see the personalities and not just the skills of the participants. That little blooper reel should be shown on every Versus race broadcast and should be edited for a thirty second teaser promo spot for next year's racing ( obviously not necessarily that video but you get my drift ) The fans have to get to know who they're expected to cheer and to care for.
    The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable : John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

"Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
      ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Yup, Indycar needs to let the fans see the personalities and not just the skills of the participants. That little blooper reel should be shown on every Versus race broadcast and should be edited for a thirty second teaser promo spot for next year's racing ( obviously not necessarily that video but you get my drift ) The fans have to get to know who they're expected to cheer and to care for.
        Why is it that most racing series are terrified that they might lose control if they actually let the fans see behind their facade? From Rule Books to personalities, technical to personal, the powers-that-be hide details and horde information as if sharing it would allow some terrible truths to get out and destroy them all. They see information as power and nothing is more frightening to a race official than losing power.

You're absolutely right; IndyCar could make a unique marketing breakthrough by simply opening the doors to the unique personalities and the fascinating technical and organizational details of our sport. It shouldn't be difficult, but the idea will terrify everyone involved. Mr. Bernard, are you listening?

Comment

Originally posted by Mindervillain View Post
          You're absolutely right; IndyCar could make a unique marketing breakthrough by simply opening the doors to the unique personalities and the fascinating technical and organizational details of our sport. It shouldn't be difficult, but the idea will terrify everyone involved. Mr. Bernard, are you listening?
          Unfortunately, it's not quite a unique idea. Grand-Am does that right now with their racers and teams. And the ads are funny as h***. Particularly the Dempsey Racing one (Patrick Dempsey is great in it).
          "Sometimes a majority simply means that all the fools are on the same side." C. McDonald

Comment

I guess the problem of not just showing that on tv is the many f-bombs and all such curses in the video. I, personally, see it as part of emotion as long as it's not done just to do it. But I can see why some people start crying when they hear it.

I like the video's Hinch did, they're hilarious. Specially the one with Stefan Wilson.
            MotorRacingblog.nl | Kwaliteitsblog

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post
              Mike Kelly video
              It's amazing how well this guy knows his job. It's so nice to see a guy in marketing that understands the full scope of what it entails. I'd love to spend a day just following him around. He is the reason fans should be thankful. I've been openly critical of many of the sponsors involved in open wheel over the years both in the IRL and in ChampCar/CART at how little they understand what they are doing and that they aren't taking advantage or using the series the way they should. Mike hit the nail on the head when he said what they do different is look from the outside in. "What's happening out there and how do we use Indy Car to talk to them". It's using Indy Car as a platform. Tobacco companies were brilliant at this, and it's been missing almost since they left. If the teams could understand this strategy better, they would keep sponsors longer, be able to get more money from them, and would be operating from a much more stable position instead of constantly wondering where the next cheque is going to come from. Sticking a sponsor decal on the hood of a car no longer is the answer. It's refreshing to see the approach that Mike Kelly is taking. I think I am in love with this guy. I hope fans understand just how valuable he is to the series.
              "Try some of these before or after your statements if you are not presenting them as facts. Things like - "In my opinion", or "I think that", JHMO, IMHO, IMO, JMO... Your opinions are not (necessarily) fact. That would clear things up some." - Seadog 03/25/2010 11:40am So the above is JMO.

Comment

They showed that video on TV, so fans did see it.

Now if you are asking, "Why don't drivers show more emotions in pre and post-race interviews," that's a different story. Very few athletes in the world give great emotional interviews in those situations (unless it's a big win or loss). They are too worried about focusing for the race or too tired from running the race.
                Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you.

http://twitter.com/WhateverJoel

Comment

The Mike Kelly bit is interesting because he seems to be approaching the whole thing from a different stand point of it's more than cars driving in circles really, really fast. The other cool thing was seeing a race driver who could string multiple sentences together with out the over use of fillers like, "um, uh, ya know, like, but uh......"

I realize Hinch was public enemy #1 here a few years ago, but he'd be a solid addition to the driver line-up, not only for his driving talent, but his marketability. They could turn this kid into a superstar.

Comment

Originally posted by jcmark611 View Post
                    They showed that video on TV, so fans did see it.

Now if you are asking, "Why don't drivers show more emotions in pre and post-race interviews," that's a different story. Very few athletes in the world give great emotional interviews in those situations (unless it's a big win or loss). They are too worried about focusing for the race or too tired from running the race.
                    That's just a matter of training drivers on how to actually give good interviews. Seems like every UFC guy knows how to give a good one and they're a lot more tired after a fight than a driver.

Comment

Originally posted by jcmark611 View Post
                      Now if you are asking, "Why don't drivers show more emotions in pre and post-race interviews,"
                      Because when they do, they get slagged for being, idiots, jerks, whiners, cry-babies, not real men, lacking male genitalia, bitches or princesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Fro View Post
                        That's just a matter of training drivers on how to actually give good interviews. Seems like every UFC guy knows how to give a good one and they're a lot more tired after a fight than a driver.
                        Yes I agree, but Hinch is a bit of a natural. He's also been doing it for a long while now and has spent a ton of time behind the mike and in front of the camera.
                        "Try some of these before or after your statements if you are not presenting them as facts. Things like - "In my opinion", or "I think that", JHMO, IMHO, IMO, JMO... Your opinions are not (necessarily) fact. That would clear things up some." - Seadog 03/25/2010 11:40am So the above is JMO.

Comment

I dunno... other than Danica, I always feel like the IndyCar driver interviews are much more natural than any other series. The drivers all seem to just say what they think, and often slag someone else if they think that guy deserves it.

Will Power is always awesome because you can tell he's got like zero coaching. He just starts talking about what's on his mind and actually attempts to answer the question he was asked.

Kanaan, Dixon, Franchitti, Castoneves... really doesn't matter who else you bring up, other than plugging sponsors which I think Franchitti goes overboard on, the actual answers they're giving are genuine and not usually full of marketing speak or PR coverups.

Comment

Originally posted by stnkypete View Post
                            I realize Hinch was public enemy #1 here a few years ago, but he'd be a solid addition to the driver line-up, not only for his driving talent, but his marketability. They could turn this kid into a superstar.
                            Hinch seems like a great guy. Public enemy here?

Comment

I agree with opening up this type of marketing - it fun and funny.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X