Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not add electric/hybrid technology to the new cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not add electric/hybrid technology to the new cars?

Why not add electric/hybrid technology to the new cars? Indy has always been on the cutting edge of automotive technology. Why not add an electric/hybrid factor so that manufacturers could improve electric cars? An Ethanol/Electric race car?
    It only matters if you think it matters. - Klicky

Yes !!! And why not include hydrogen fuel cells as well ! After all it is the most abundant element we have.

Comment

I proposed a long time ago that the Speedway needed to open the race up to alternative forms of energy. I even proposed something as dramatic as regulating the entire field for the full season be full blown electric vehicles. You want to open some eyes and get people watching your sport again, with what I know about electric motors, these engineers would be able to make an Indy Car go from about zero to 60 in about a second! Costs shouldn't be an issue either. The biggest area of development would be in the batteries.
      "Try some of these before or after your statements if you are not presenting them as facts. Things like - "In my opinion", or "I think that", JHMO, IMHO, IMO, JMO... Your opinions are not (necessarily) fact. That would clear things up some." - Seadog 03/25/2010 11:40am So the above is JMO.

Comment

Hybrids generally have power (acceleration/torque) and lots of energy (runtime/speed/hp). F1 found out there is a tradeoff between weight and performance and that the discharge (boost) and recharge (braking) are not symmetrical. This would work better on road and street courses with lots of braking, but not much on ovals, since there is limited braking.

Going to a full alternative power choices would open up the field to anything that works.
        And don't forget the heat!

Comment

The fear is if the cars make no engine noise, people won't watch.
          "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
            The fear is if the cars make no engine noise, people won't watch.
            You think nobody is going to want to watch a car that can accelerate from zero to 60 in one second or quicker? There will be plenty of noise when 30 cars traveling at over 200 mph come flying by you, it just won't be the sounds you are used to hearing.
            "Try some of these before or after your statements if you are not presenting them as facts. Things like - "In my opinion", or "I think that", JHMO, IMHO, IMO, JMO... Your opinions are not (necessarily) fact. That would clear things up some." - Seadog 03/25/2010 11:40am So the above is JMO.

Comment

AFAIK, hybrid technology wouldn't be much use at the Speedway, because the cars already run full throttle most of the time, and don't brake much. There isn't much wasted braking energy or unused power output to capture and store.
              Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo View Post
                You think nobody is going to want to watch a car that can accelerate from zero to 60 in one second or quicker? There will be plenty of noise when 30 cars traveling at over 200 mph come flying by you, it just won't be the sounds you are used to hearing.
                I guess it would sound like an R/C race! ….uhm, that would be remote control, not road course, race.

Ricky

Comment

You think nobody is going to want to watch a car that can accelerate from zero to 60 in one second or quicker?
                  Adding more power to an Indy car through a hybrid drive won't reduce its zero to 60 time. Standing start acceleration already is traction limited, and probably can't be improved without either using drag racing tires that aren't practical for turning corners or using a powered suction downforce device that works at 0mph.

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

Comment

Lets see. The Indianapolis 500, with a field of 33 electric cars ready to race. The biggest crowd in history shows up for the spectacle. A great success. The following year. 45 people show up for the Indianapolis 500. Guys, the sound of engines is part of the spectacle, no sound, no excitement.

I could see a special race at Indy for electrics, and any other type of power plant. But, let it be a special race. Don't touch the Indy 500!!!

Comment

I'd like to see IndyCar adapt a solution that gives an engine manufacturer and team award for the best environmentally friendly engine/team, meaning the one that uses the lest amount of fuel/energy. That would be cool!
                      I am a fan of the Verizon IndyCar Series, Formula 1, and AMA Supercross. Go Oriol, Seabass, RHR, and J.R.

Comment

Plenty of noise? Go to an expressway and listen, all you hear are tire sounds, oh, maybe a clunker with bad exhaust or a diesel truck.

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post
                          Lets see. The Indianapolis 500, with a field of 33 electric cars ready to race. The biggest crowd in history shows up for the spectacle. A great success. The following year. 45 people show up for the Indianapolis 500. Guys, the sound of engines is part of the spectacle, no sound, no excitement.

I could see a special race at Indy for electrics, and any other type of power plant. But, let it be a special race. Don't touch the Indy 500!!!
                          Equip the cars to with sound systems. Each team would be assigned a historic Indy engine sound. Miller 8, Novi, 255 Offy, turbo cossie, 4 cam Ford. Foyt's team would have the Fred Flintstone xylophone sound.

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post

That's funny. This was my first Indy 500 this year. Previously I had only been to Richmond. We sat in turn 3. When the command to start the engines was given, I thought something was wrong. I could barely hear the engines. The sight of the cars coming down the back stretch is what did it for me, not the sound. You could always add an mp3 player with a loud speaker. You could even mount this in the front of the car, might even make some people happy, haha.

Comment

Hybrid tech is meant for city driving. It will work on road/street courses, but not on ovals. So you're adding weight, and complexity to the cars for something that can only be used in 50% of the races. The league is trying to eliminate the big configuration changes between road/street and ovals, and you're not going to want to leave that stuff on the car for ovals, because it will just raise the cost of crashing.

Agree with NoviVespa that there should be a special Eco Indy, or Electric Indy race. Use the D-Wing. Maybe there will be a tech that comes out of that race and replaces the current stuff. Right now though, I don't think you could run the current series on electricity, and using hybrid tech seems kind of pointless to me.
                              My guardian angel, she wears a hard hat.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X