Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed for High School Engineering Project

Hi,
    My name is Aaron McAtee and I am enrolled in a class for school called Engineering Design and Development in which we define a problem and come with a solution to solve that problem. I am an avid Indy Car fan and wanted to involve my project with Indy Car racing and already have some ideas. I have communicated with IRL Safety and Dallara. I have also planned meetings for next week at a couple different race teams in the area to gather information about my idea. I had to make a survey and have to get 50 of them filled out by this Wednesday. Please take a minute a complete this survey and email it to [email protected] when you are finished by Tuesday. Also, if you know of any other race fans to send this survey to, please feel free to do so. Just have it sent to [email protected] by Wednesday. I greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Aaron McAtee

Survey below:

Please select one answer for each question

Have you ever been in a wreck? (Yes/no)
    Have you ever seen or witnessed a wreck in Indy Car Racing. (Yes/no)
    Do you think the driver is as safe as they could be when wrecking in an Indy Car? (Yes/No)
    Do you feel that safety equipment could be improved in Indy Car racing? (Yes/No)
    What do you think is the risk of driver injury when a car has rear impact? (scale of 1-5, 5 highest)________
    Do you think an extra impact absorbing zone in the seat would help prevent driver back injuries? (Yes/No)
    How much would you be willing to pay or you think a racing team/driver would pay for this device? (Less than $1,000, $1,000-$5,000, cost not an issue)

--
    Aaron McAtee
    Brownsburg High School Engineering Design and Development Student
    https://sites.google.com/site/mcateeeddcadre/
    --

You might look at replacing the EPS that is in the safer walls with EPP.

I have always wondered about that choice as EPP is better at absorbing shock and has a higher melt temp.

Just throwing that out there.
    You cannot wrangle chaos. You can only try to plan for it.

Comment

Responded! Best of luck with your project! Let us know if you need anything else!
      IndyCar Advocate: A blog about enjoying the best sport in the world! Stop on by!
      --
      On Twitter as @indycaradvocate

Comment

Sent, good luck!
        ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Any relation to the late Buddy McAtee?

br

Comment

Done! Good luck with your project!
            -Katie

Comment

something you may want to look at with your final conclusions Aaron is that anyone who knows anything about the history of auto racing has to answer No to question #3 and Yes to questions #4. No sanctioning body has ever declared their machines to be the end-all as far as safety is concerned. Those in the business simply assume that new safety innovations will always be around the corner as new ideas, safety needs, and materials arise in the sport. That's the way it's been ever since the turn of the last century and should continue in the coming decades.

Good luck with the report and if possible I imagine a few of us here at TF would love to see the final product!
              Last edited by Stick500; 10-05-2010, 09:27 AM.
              "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
              "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
              "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Sent
                "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Comment

Mine too...

br

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
                    something you may want to look at with your final conclusions Aaron is that anyone who knows anything about the history of auto racing has to answer No to question #3 and Yes to questions #4. No sanctioning body has ever declared their machines to be the end-all as far as safety is concerned. Those in the business simply assume that new safety innovations will always be around the corner as new ideas, safety needs, and materials arise in the sport. That's the way it's been ever since the turn of the last century and should continue in the coming decades.

Good luck with the report and if possible I imagine a few of us here at TF would love to see the final product!
                    Thank you, I'll let everyone know.
                    -Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by ttturner68 View Post
                      You might look at replacing the EPS that is in the safer walls with EPP.

I have always wondered about that choice as EPP is better at absorbing shock and has a higher melt temp.

Just throwing that out there.
                      Thank you. I'll definetly keep EPP in mind since it'll handle high temperatures. This device might be behind the engine where there would be high temperatures.
                      -Aaron

Comment

PM me I have a reasonably he knowledge of polymer materials
                        You cannot wrangle chaos. You can only try to plan for it.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who filled out a survey and gave me advice. I really appreciate everyone's help. I will keep everyone in the loop with everything that is going on with my project.

Thanks again,

Aaron McAtee
                          Brownsburg High School Engineering Design and Development Student
                          https://sites.google.com/site/mcateeeddcadre/

Comment

1) Yes 2) Yes 3) Yes 4)Yes 5) 3 6) Yes 7) $1000-$5000

Comment

sent
                              www.fairtax.org

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X