Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please explain to me the lap 173 restart....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please explain to me the lap 173 restart....

and why Dixon did not receive a black flag for not yielding the inside line to Helio? It was the EXACT same move that cost Helio the race in Edmonton... and if anything Dixon's move was more flagrant.
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Homestead doesn't have a single racing line through a turn. It has two lines.
    "Indycars should be beasts." - Gil de Ferran
    @bigmo500

Comment

Not buying it - that was clearly a flagrant block by one of the best blockers in the league. Hugging the inside on an oval going into a turn is never the fast line into a turn.

Originally posted by Big Mo View Post
      Homestead doesn't have a single racing line through a turn. It has two lines.

Comment

The rule at Edmonton---which, if I understand correctly, was originated by Cotman at San Jose---doesn't apply to ovals. I think the oval rule is "hold your line." You get to pick where you want to drive, but if you change your line to cut somebody off, then you are blocking. OTOH, that rule apparently doesn't always apply at Indy, where they now forbid you to drive down the inside of the straights if there is somebody behind you.

I'm not saying Dixon wasn't blocking.
        My guardian angel, she wears a hard hat.

Comment

What was supposedly stated in the pre-race for Homestead was that lapped cars being passed were supposed to take the bottom line to allow the passing cars to go around. I saw that rule not followed or ignored on several occasions.
          ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
            Not buying it - that was clearly a flagrant block by one of the best blockers in the league. Hugging the inside on an oval going into a turn is never the fast line into a turn.
            Nope, but it's the most defensive. Unlike a road course, you can actually pass up high on an oval. There's no rule saying that you have to yield any line on an oval, except Indy.
            77 Forever - Rest in Peace Dan.

- @KBrughelli11
            - @AcrossTheBricks

"Life is too short to be consumed by the circumstances that make us sour." - Helio Castroneves

Comment

Originally posted by fastmaster26 View Post
              Nope, but it's the most defensive. Unlike a road course, you can actually pass up high on an oval. There's no rule saying that you have to yield any line on an oval, except Indy.
              This just illustrates why Barnhart needs to go. Let them race! Plus different rules at different tracks just make things more confusing. You don't see baseball or football implementing different rules for different venues.

Comment

This just illustrates why Barnhart needs to go. Let them race! Plus different rules at different tracks just make things more confusing. You don't see baseball or football implementing different rules for different venues.

I give you that Barnhart needs to go. However I can see different rules to apply at different types of race courses. Football and baseball play on the exact same type of field no matter where the venue.
                ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Then why do they all hug the bottom when qualifying?
                  Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Comment

maybe that's because baseball and football all play on identical fields no matter which stadium they go to. if you forbid them not to run defensive lines, you're not allowing them to race. if you let them use defensive lines, then they make it more difficult for the guy behind them. THAT'S RACING, YOU'RE GETTING WHAT YOU ASKED FOR.

and for the record, the low line with an indycar actually IS the fastest line on new tires, because it's the shortest line around. shorter distance = faster laptime, ya dig? the cars have stagger built into them, so basically the car is turning all the way around the track. it's slower to arc it high and turn it down for the corner, because you inflict more rolling resistance that way.

next.
                    77 Forever - Rest in Peace Dan.

- @KBrughelli11
                    - @AcrossTheBricks

"Life is too short to be consumed by the circumstances that make us sour." - Helio Castroneves

Comment

You are all missing the point.

Comment

And baseball does not play on identical fields... they are all different.

Comment

You are all missing the point.
                          The point is this is your bi-weekly point to fire Barnhart
                          In the IZOD IndyCar series we're just kids enjoy the thrills in a 200 MPH candy store.

Comment

Dixon knows how much he can game the re-starts, because he's been doing it for years and once, just once, I'd love to see him put to the tail of the lead lap for doing so.

Comment

His point is if you have a blocking rule @ Indy, an Oval, then ther should be a similiar rule on ALL of the ovals. Having different rules for what is considered a block should be consistient at least amonst types of tracks, i.e. RC vs. Oval. Why? The nubie will be wondering why did Helio get black flagged and this driver didn't, for a similiar looking infraction. and why did this guy get a black flag at Indy and they didn't get it @ homestead?

The second thing is everyone saying, if you pick a lane you are to stay in it. That doesn't happen when the cars get 2 wide. TK kept climbing up the hill on DP. He didn't stay in one lane. Is that blocking? Nope. Shoudl it be? If Helio's move at edmonton was blocking then so should TK's hill climbing.
                              Terrible moderators can destroy great forums

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X