So Three Wins To Five Wins Grabs The Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Three Wins To Five Wins Grabs The Title

Are any of you sick of watching guys racing for points?

Do you guys think it makes for a good championship when the guy who wins five races and dominates most of the season loses the title to a guy who only won three times and ran a pretty average season. Especially when that guy finishes in the lowest finishing spot he needed to in the final race and still takes the title. Especially after dominating the entire race weekend taking pole and leading the most laps. If you were a paying customer, which it looks like there weren't any of anyway , would you be happy that the fastest guy backed off and essentially limped it home. Would you have got your monies worth?

Is that okay with you? Why, why not?

Is it good for the series when guys race for points instead of race wins? Why? Why not?

And before you answer, lets remind you all that ratings are in the toilet and Homestead was practically empty!

It seems to me that many on this board put greater value on the championship and points racing then they do on an individual race.

I wonder how you all would feel if Dario drove like that in the Indy 500. I wonder how you would feel if everybody drove like that in the Indy 500. That the 500 just became another points paying race, where the victory doesn't really matter provided at the end of the season you got to raise the flying unicycle!
    "Try some of these before or after your statements if you are not presenting them as facts. Things like - "In my opinion", or "I think that", JHMO, IMHO, IMO, JMO... Your opinions are not (necessarily) fact. That would clear things up some." - Seadog 03/25/2010 11:40am So the above is JMO.

The game is played based upon the rules. If race wins, and say the top 3 positions paid significantly more than the lower finishing positions, then you might have a different result.
    "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Comment

I would say Dario had a better than average season. How many ovals was he not competing for the win? How many podiums on the road courses?

Comment

What's disappointing is having a champion and runner up who only won races on one type of track. Would have been nice to see Dario or Will win on both ovals and rc/sc this season.

Comment

Dario won at mid ohio didn't he?
          I Love May!

Comment

Originally posted by goldie19 View Post
            Dario won at mid ohio didn't he?
            Indy, Mid-Ohio, and Chicago.

Will won at Brazil, St. Pete, Watkins Glen, Toronto and Sonoma.
            "Try some of these before or after your statements if you are not presenting them as facts. Things like - "In my opinion", or "I think that", JHMO, IMHO, IMO, JMO... Your opinions are not (necessarily) fact. That would clear things up some." - Seadog 03/25/2010 11:40am So the above is JMO.

Comment

Tom Sneva won the 1978 championship without winning a single race. Penske fired him for that.
              "Indycars should be beasts." - Gil de Ferran
              @bigmo500

Comment

Ok, I missed that for Dario. I don't know why I thought he won on 3 ovals this year.

Comment

edit: nevermind, slow typer. already pointed out that Dario won Mid-OH.
                  "Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob." - Federalist 55
                  “My first reaction as a race car driver was to jump out of the car and use the Foyt technique of driver development - grab him and pound some sense into him.”
                  "Make way. I'm Reaganing."

Comment

maybe if will hadn't made so many mistakes on ovals you wouldn't be b*tching right now.

hate the player, not the game.
                    77 Forever - Rest in Peace Dan.

- @KBrughelli11
                    - @AcrossTheBricks

"Life is too short to be consumed by the circumstances that make us sour." - Helio Castroneves

Comment

It's kinda like fuel mileage wins...would I prefer that the driver that wins the race be the fastest all day...sure...but I also consider myself to be more of an intellectual sports fan...I was a pitcher back in the day...I'd personally rather see a 2-1 baseball game than 8-6. I like the INTELLIGENCE it takes to win in sports...lots of better arms than Manning, yet he wins...Jimmy Connors didn't have the best serve, but he won...Michael Andretti at Indy...wait...exact opposite of what I meant! Mikey and Mario would just go balls out when they didn't need to...thus, "Andretti is slowing" was coined

I don't mind Dario winning it intellectually as Briscoe and Power experience brain fade and lose...
                      I Love May!

Comment

Will and his team did not get it done. You can't blame that on the rules. They pissed away a dominant championship season by making mistakes, and failing to get good enough results on ovals.
                        My guardian angel, she wears a hard hat.

Comment

Dammit gonzo as soon as I saw the thread title I knew it was you... quite yer complainin
                          "While things were not as rosy as the CART fanatics recall, neither were they as dire as the IRL fanatics would have you believe." - Don Capps

Comment

Originally posted by goldie19 View Post
                            It's kinda like fuel mileage wins...would I prefer that the driver that wins the race be the fastest all day...sure...but I also consider myself to be more of an intellectual sports fan...I was a pitcher back in the day...I'd personally rather see a 2-1 baseball game than 8-6. I like the INTELLIGENCE it takes to win in sports...lots of better arms than Manning, yet he wins...Jimmy Connors didn't have the best serve, but he won...Michael Andretti at Indy...wait...exact opposite of what I meant! Mikey and Mario would just go balls out when they didn't need to...thus, "Andretti is slowing" was coined

I don't mind Dario winning it intellectually as Briscoe and Power experience brain fade and lose...
                            I understand what you are saying and I can appreciate most of that in other sports, but the other sports you are describing are match/game sports. Football, tennis, baseball, all the ones you just descried are games that involve two sides.

Motorsports is quite different because it is not a match or a game, it is a race, and people lose site of that.

From wikipedia: "A sport race is a competition of speed, against an objective criterion, usually a clock or to a specific point. The competitors in a race try to complete a given task in the shortest amount of time. Typically this involves traversing some distance, but it can be any other task involving speed to reach a specific goal."

From dictionary.com: " race/reɪs/ Show Spelled noun, verb, raced, racآ·ing.
                            –noun 1. a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing.

Your intellectual scenario is akin to a downhill skier hoping that the fastest competitor misses a gate or crashes. Or that somebody competing in a 100m sprint waits for the leader to trip and fall or pull a muscle.

This is supposed to be a race. We hardly see racing any longer and most of you seem to be okay with that.

Dario was content to give up the chance to win the race at Homestead in hopes of achieving the championship. He demonstrated that winning a race is not necessarily the best way to win a title. Personally, I don't think that is good for the sport. Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by fastmaster26 View Post
                              maybe if will hadn't made so many mistakes on ovals you wouldn't be b*tching right now.

hate the player, not the game.
                              You are probably right cause he would have six wins, and he'd have won the title as the guy with the most victories.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X