Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dario in exclusive company

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dario in exclusive company

    I know this aired during the race last night, but I think it bears repeating.

    Dario became only the 5th driver to win the Indianapolis 500 and the championship in the same year multiple times during their career.

    Louis Meyer 1928 & 1933
    Wilbur Shaw 1937 & 1939
    Rodger Ward 1959 & 1962
    AJ Foyt 1961, 1964, & 1967
    Dario Franchitti 2007 & 2010

    A lot of very talented drivers did it once, but I was surprised to see more didn't do it multiple times.

  • #2
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"


    Brian's Wish

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
      I know this aired during the race last night, but I think it bears repeating.

      Dario became only the 5th driver to win the Indianapolis 500 and the championship in the same year multiple times during their career.

      Louis Meyer 1928 & 1933
      Wilbur Shaw 1937 & 1939
      Rodger Ward 1959 & 1962
      AJ Foyt 1961, 1964, & 1967
      Dario Franchitti 2007 & 2010

      A lot of very talented drivers did it once, but I was surprised to see more didn't do it multiple times.
      Thanks! Great stats.

      Of note is that no one did it during the CART years.
      Speaks pretty well for the competition in that series.

      But Dario is here and now and doing great job of showing
      us how it's done
      Dale Manus

      Comment


      • #4
        That was a stat I think that the IRL people were pushing because Mike King said it on the radio and Jenkins did too on TV. It's a confusing stat I think, not sure what it really means. Better stat would have been how many drivers have won multiple Indy 500's and championships. It's a longer list than that, but not by much.
        "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
          not sure what it really means.
          It means Dario is one of only 5 people - including the gold-standard AJ Foyt who have won the Indy 500 and the series title in the same year on multiple occaisions. For all the people who rag on Dario, he's got some awfully good company on that list.

          Comment


          • #6
            Winning the championship is easier than winning the Indy 500. You get one chance per year to win Indy. Then have 15 to 20 races to win the championship. Back in the USAC days, the winner had a bigger advantage. Believe points were awarded according to miles. So, Indy winner had a pretty good lead in running for championship.

            Comment


            • #7
              Something to consider... Dario has won three straight Indy car championships... at least three straight that he's competed in.

              In fact, in his last three seasons, 3 championships and 2 Indy 500 wins... and the one year he didn't win Indy, he still dominated most of the race.
              "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

              2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

              2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

              2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post
                Winning the championship is easier than winning the Indy 500.
                Have to disagree. You only have to be good for one day to win Indy. You have to be good all year to win a championship.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dmanus View Post
                  Thanks! Great stats.

                  Of note is that no one did it during the CART years.
                  Or they chose not to recognize it.

                  1989 Emerson Fittipaldi won the Indy 500 and the indycar championship
                  1994 Al Unser Jr.....ditto
                  1995 Jacques Villenueve.......ditto.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jabba19 View Post
                    Or they chose not to recognize it.

                    1989 Emerson Fittipaldi won the Indy 500 and the indycar championship
                    1994 Al Unser Jr.....ditto
                    1995 Jacques Villenueve.......ditto.
                    The stat is winning Indy AND the title in the same year MULTIPLE TIMES. Your examples are one-offs.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post
                      Winning the championship is easier than winning the Indy 500. You get one chance per year to win Indy. Then have 15 to 20 races to win the championship. Back in the USAC days, the winner had a bigger advantage. Believe points were awarded according to miles. So, Indy winner had a pretty good lead in running for championship.
                      If this were true, why did only four drivers manage to pull it off?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by stnkypete View Post
                        The stat is winning Indy AND the title in the same year MULTIPLE TIMES. Your examples are one-offs.
                        Oops, I guess I should read more carefully next time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I was impressed when I saw that. Good stuff. Now he's gotta go for three.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jabba19 View Post
                            Oops, I guess I should read more carefully next time.
                            That's okay the facts are interesting nontheless.
                            As one famous racing American said "No harm, no foul." ;-)
                            Dale Manus

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Vic Mackey View Post
                              Have to disagree. You only have to be good for one day to win Indy. You have to be good all year to win a championship.
                              i feel you have to be perfect and lucky to win indy. you can hav a dnf's and not be perfect and win the championship. homestead could have been won with both championship contenders sitting on the sidelines and i think one of them would have still had the championship trophy...no?

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X