Starts/re-starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starts/re-starts

Starts and re-starts look horrendous anymore, especially at Indy. Is it time to end the practice of having the Pace Car pull off the track in the first turn on starts and re-starts? Having the lead car pace and police the field going into starts and re-starts has failed miserably by giving the lead car a huge advantage over the rest of the field. It's made for terrible looking starts/re-starts as the lead cars start accelerating in turn 3 and are single file coming out of turn 4. I believe the Pace Car needs to stay on the track until the exit of turn 4 on starts/re-starts forcing the field to stay in order and not start accelerating until the main straightway.
    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Been saying that for a long time. The leader is across the line before others are through 4.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who do not believe in it cannot be conquered by it. And, the trouble with being punctual is that there is nobody there to appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan View Post
      Starts and re-starts look horrendous anymore, especially at Indy. Is it time to end the practice of having the Pace Car pull off the track in the first turn on starts and re-starts? Having the lead car pace and police the field going into starts and re-starts has failed miserably by giving the lead car a huge advantage over the rest of the field. It's made for terrible looking starts/re-starts as the lead cars start accelerating in turn 3 and are single file coming out of turn 4. I believe the Pace Car needs to stay on the track until the exit of turn 4 on starts/re-starts forcing the field to stay in order and not start accelerating until the main straightway.
      Yes. The pace car needs to stay on the track on re-starts.
      "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Comment

ditto
        returning to the days of ignorant bliss..

Comment

Working mods and sprints is apples and oranges I realize but when we called off a green like that we always gave the green then went quick yellow once the leader was exiting T2

Lets the field get a little spread out

You go with those never mind yellows when half the cars are at full speed and half the cars are slowing down already and sooner or later someone is gonna have skid marks on the top of their helmet

Eats up an extra lap but it beats crashing cars under a yellow flag
          Live like Dave

Comment

Who controls the starts and restarts?

Who?
            "I have been bored out of my skull by slower racing." - Turn13

Comment

Just go green when at least half the field is on the front stretch rather than turn 3.
              http://thepurginglutheran.wordpress.com/

http://thegatwickview.tumblr.com/

http://thepurginglutheran.tumblr.com/

Comment

Having the pace car pace the restart and clamping down on any funny business in the pack is the best solution. The pace car should pull off in turn 4 and have the rule be you stay in formation and do not get on it until the green waives. If the anyone gets on it before the green, he gets a drive through. Do that once and the message will be heard loud and clear.

I am of a divided mind on using two rows, inside for lead lap cars and outside for lapped cars.

mk
                Racing: there is no substitute.

Comment

Laugh at NASCAR all you want, but there are things they get right... and this is one of them. BB, if he is to remain chief steward, needs to sit in the stands at a race with a scanner set to the officials channel and learn how to do proper restarts.

Comment

I believer the restart point is between 3 and 4 - not the start/finish line. At INDY, there are cones in the fence in the north short as the restart point.
                    Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X