Congratulations to Will Power!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to Will Power!

The guy came in as a replacement last year, proved what he could do, and then had a BAD accident at Sonoma that would have really spooked lesser drivers. This year, he comes ROARING back, wins the Andretti Trophy and comes within a few marbles of the championship.

There's a thread here claiming he "choked."

Hardly. In a lot of ways, what Will accomplished this year was more impressive than what Dario did. I think as soon as he gets that oval monkey off his back, Will's face is gonna end up on the Borg-Warner Trophy AT LEAST once. And he's gonna have a few of those weird new championship trophies to sit in the trophy case, too.

You made a new fan this year, Will.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Darn straight. I started rooting for Will late in the season he was driving the Aussie Vineyards car, and I haven't been this excited about IndyCar racing in a long, long time. He's going to win a ton of races, and despite being pretty new to oval racing, he's been pretty close at Indy twice only to be let down by problems in the pits. He might not have won the title this year, but it's certainly not going to be his only shot to put "IndyCar Champion" next to his name.

5 wins, 8 poles and, honest to God, they could've won 5 or 6 more really easily (Barber, Long Beach, Mid Ohio, Edmonton, Indy, Chicago). When he gets more experience, this kid is going to be scary good.

Comment

I talked to Will at Homestead Last Year and he was still wearing a back brace. I was amazed to see him walking around then. He's a very fast racer with a lot of drive. He'll definitely get his championship and probably several more.

Comment

I have lots of love for Will. He's a great driver. I think he's a little bit underrated on the ovals, actually. Certainly he isn't the best, but I don't think he's as atrocious as some make him out to be. I mean, who knows what would have happened if he hadn't had the fueling error at Indy. Also, he probably would have won Chicago if it wasn't for an error by his pit crew. Tonight's mistake was big, but he had to push hard. I hate to use a NASCAR euphemism, but because of the way Dario dominated the race, it was really "checkers or wreckers" for Will.
        "There are only three sports: bullfighting, MOTOR RACING, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

For the second straight year I have predicted the driver who will have a domnant season and ultimately finish second....Picked Briscoe to win it last year, Will this year....great season by Will, congrats on getting healthy and getting back! Racing is such a tough thing. All his but for a fuel stop at Chicago.
          I Love May!

Comment

Agree with all the above. After Bourdais, Will was my favorite driver back in the Champcar days. He will be a champion sooner than later mark my words. On a different note, I'm glad we have three championships. Atleast Will Power has the Mario Andretti Trophy.

Comment

I know some people are tired of watching Penske and Ganassi dominate, and I can certainly understand that, but I have really enjoyed watching Dario and Power go after the title this year. Watching two great drivers trade punches all year has been great fun. Congrats to both on their achievements.
              Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Comment

Will has immense talent on the road/street circuits and should be considered the man to beat at every one of those venues. And he has teammates that will help him out on his oval skills. I think Will will be just fine. I'm just hoping that Chip Ganassi Racing can stay up to the task of getting this thing done again next year.

Comment

To come back from an accident like that and have the season he had, absolutely amazing.

Comment

Yes, unfortunate for Will not to take the title, but he's still to reach his peak. And already one of the very best out there.
                    "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Will is going to be a GREAT Indy Car driver. He is probably the best right now on Roads and Streets. He will get only better on ovals. Will Power, the 2011 IndyCar and Indy 500 Champ. You heard it here first.
                      After years of fighting and a split, guess what, we are all IndyCar

October will always be a sad racing month for me. RIP Greg and Dan. You both were great and we miss you.

Comment

Last edited by CGR Reader; 05-29-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X