Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power chokes.....

He basically peed his pants out there.
    The Original Fan of Kimi "The Iceman" Raikkonen 2007 World Driving Champion: 21 Wins---102 Podiums---18 Pole Positions---43 Fastest Laps ---1 Gorilla Suit

Originally posted by aaron5572 View Post
    Dude that's Harsh!

Comment

Power hasn't run great on ovals. Having the road courses earlier in the season made it look like he had a big lead. As soon as they got back to Ovals he lost his advantage and the lead.
      Terrible moderators can destroy great forums

Comment

I don't think so. He was pushing his car the best he could and it bit him. It's not like he booted himself coming out of pit road or anything-THAT would be a "choke."

Something tells me next year he doesn't have these problems on ovals.
        "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Penske has better gear. Chip has better drivers
          I Love May!

Comment

There's no shame in losing to Dario Franchitti, who is cementing himself as one of the all-time greats. They blew this championship at Chicago, not Homestead. He had to push since they killed his margin for error three races ago. It didn't look like there was any chance that Franchitti would drop out of the lead, so fourth wasn't going to be good enough.

Next year this championship isn't going to come down to the last race. Power is gonna win it going away.

It's amazing to think of all the points they left on the track before tonight:
            -Bad pit strategy and an ill-timed caution at Barber
            -The bobble with the engine/gearbox at Long Beach
            -The three blown stops at Indy
            -The blown stop (on Power) at Kansas
            -The debacle at Chicago
            -The bad pit stop at Mid-Ohio
            -The decision to put on the blacks at Edmonton

It's pretty remarkable that he kept it up front for as long as he did. This is only his second full year in the series and he just went punch for punch with one of the greatest drivers of the last 20 years.

Comment

The bottom line is that Will and the #12 crew didn't deserve to win a championship that involves ovals as a discipline when they failed to perform on them.

However, I don't think you could say Will choked at all - he's a classy guy and it was remarkable how he schooled the field early on the roads & streets.

I think he'll get the hang of them eventually, but this season he & the 12 crew had everyone on the ropes, but failed to deliver the knock-out punch of an oval victory.

Comment

Last edited by CGR Reader; 05-29-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Yes. Almost as bold as Will's statement about definitely winning Kentucky.

Ruh-roh!

Comment

Power didn't choke. His team told him (and I'm sure he agreed) that he had to beat Franchitti on the track. If there was a choke, it might have been the decision to push it so soon. Guessing what to do regarding pit stops near the end of the race might have caught out Dario.
                    Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, Iowa, Gateway, IRP - 70

Comment

Originally posted by CGR Reader View Post
                      Quite a statement.
                      It is, but not a whole lot would have had to happen differently for Power to have it locked up heading to Homestead this year. Get all the fuel in the car at Chicago, put the right tires on at Edmonton and it's over. He's only going to get better on the ovals and he's in a class by himself on the road courses. It's amazing to think, but he wasn't that far off from going 9-9 on the road courses this season. Second full year in the series, coming off that injury, and he still darn near pulled it off despite having to battle with one of the greats and having to go to a couple of tracks that he had never seen before.

He's a heckuva talent and I'm thrilled he's in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Packer487 View Post
                        It is, but not a whole lot would have had to happen differently for Power to have it locked up heading to Homestead this year. Get all the fuel in the car at Chicago, put the right tires on at Edmonton and it's over. He's only going to get better on the ovals and he's in a class by himself on the road courses. It's amazing to think, but he wasn't that far off from going 9-9 on the road courses this season. Second full year in the series, coming off that injury, and he still darn near pulled it off despite having to battle with one of the greats and having to go to a couple of tracks that he had never seen before.

He's a heckuva talent and I'm thrilled he's in the series.
                        A wreck like he had last year at Sonoma would have seriously spooked a lot of drivers. Will certainly didn't let it defeat him.

Guy like that doesn't "choke" easily.
                        "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
                          A wreck like he had last year at Sonoma would have seriously spooked a lot of drivers. Will certainly didn't let it defeat him.

Guy like that doesn't "choke" easily.
                          Nope. You've gotta be pretty perfect to beat Dario Franchitti in this series, and there was something like a 70 point swing in the last 30 laps at Chicago. Put an extra 2 seconds of gas in the car there and we've got a different champion this season. He still proved that IndyCar racing has a new star. Like I said before, there's no shame in coming up just a bit short to Dario Franchitti. I'm not looking it up to confirm this, but Dario's probably won more oval races than Power had driven prior to this season.

Comment

Will didn't choke...His crew did at Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron5572 View Post
                              Now that's a laughable title. Thanks for the laugh!
                              http://thepurginglutheran.wordpress.com/

http://thegatwickview.tumblr.com/

http://thepurginglutheran.tumblr.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X