Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernard growing into job as IRL chief

A few excerpts from Randy Bernard;

Two years after the series reunified, he believes the perception persists that IndyCar is a bit of a jumbled mess.

“We have to let the fan base know that it is one series now,â€‌ he said. “We are going to focus on attracting the best and most versatile drivers.â€‌

That doesn’t necessarily mean the best American drivers. He rejects the notion that IndyCar needs a driver draped in the stars and stripes to succeed.

“Everyone says we need more Americans and I think that would be great,â€‌ he said. “But we don’t need just any Americans. We need the best young American drivers.â€‌

~~~~

On the surface it appears IndyCar is aligning itself with ISC-rival Speedway Motorsports Inc., whose tracks will host at least four races in 2011. While Bernard is quick to praise SMI owner Bruton Smith for working closely with IndyCar, he isn’t ready to rule out racing at ISC venues down the road.

“We will never close the door on ISC,â€‌ he said. “I think it’s important that we continue our relationship. But we’ve given 17 promoters the opportunity to prove themselves. Regardless if we have ISC tracks or not, our first and foremost priority is to make sure that those events are successful.â€‌

And that means putting fans in seats. Even the most cagey TV director would have difficulty masking the obvious scads of empty seats found at most races this year, though IndyCar is hardly the only sport affected by the economic downturn.

Bernard allows that he’d like to see more people in the stands, but points out there are more eyes tuning in on Versus. Ratings have increased 26 percent over a year ago, and are up 40 percent in the coveted 18- to 34-male demographic.

Then again, the numbers had little place to go but up on the network, which reaches 75 million homes compared to the over 100 million reached by ESPN. They have little choice but to make it work. There are eight years left on the current contract between the series and the network.

“We’re kidding ourselves if we think that’s the perfect home for us, you always want to be in 120 million homes,â€‌ he said. “But we’re on an aggressive network that we have an opportunity to grow with.â€‌

~~~~

His goal is to bring one or two new manufacturers to the series in 2012, when the redesigned car debuts. He’s not putting odds on it just yet.

“For me to say (my pitch) was successful, I’d be kidding myself,â€‌ he said. “But I think we made good progress.â€‌
    http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slug=ap-irl-randysride
    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

My God, they said IRL!!! Do they not know that it's the IZOD IndyCar Series?!?!

Somebody should complain...
    Faster...Faster...Faster...I know it, you know it, that's all that matters!

Comment

On topic...

I'm glad to see that Randy is starting to find his groove. In his last segment on indycar weekly, you could tell that he has plenty in store for the future. He just needed to find his feet and I'm sure we'll start seeing more and more of his fingerprints on the series.

Comment

You dont have one series...the split is alive and well amongst the fans and the sooner he figures out the 50/50 deal isnt working...or to put it another way, didnt work in the past and isnt working yet again, then maybe he'll be considered to be growing into the job.
        the schedule is a jumbled mess...twistie..twistie, oval oval..twistie..twistie..oval oval. etc etc so on and so forth.
        seems as if going world wide , again, is the priority.

when he gets the fact the racing is suffering and actually does something, or puts someone in charge that knows what end is up, then he is just the pharoah who doenst know. ( and Im not talking cotman either, who leave a lot to be desired anyway....)
        he actually thinks hes working with bruton??? hehehehe smith doesnt work with anyone, you work around him and when hes done with the ICS, wheres that leave the series?
        ..a temp twistie series with a couple ovals thrown in.
        all eggs in one basket doesnt seem to smart. but Im sure all the JCL's will tell us all is well and if we dont like it, leave.
        read that article again..seems a lot already have, with more to come.

Comment

Wow!

I'm either really confused or I need new glasses.
          Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you.

http://twitter.com/WhateverJoel

Comment

Originally posted by TexRacer View Post
            My God, they said IRL!!! Do they not know that it's the IZOD IndyCar Series?!?!

Somebody should complain...
            She probably will.
            "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
            ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Originally posted by Indy500fanatic View Post
              You dont have one series...the split is alive and well amongst the fans...
              Nope, most fans are over it.
              "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Nice article. I remain impressed with RB, and optimistic about the future. It won't be anything close to overnight, but I think we're on the right track.
                IndyCar Advocate: A blog about enjoying the best sport in the world! Stop on by!
                --
                On Twitter as @indycaradvocate

Comment

You dont have one series...the split is alive and well amongst the fans and the sooner he figures out the 50/50 deal isnt working...or to put it another way, didnt work in the past and isnt working yet again, then maybe he'll be considered to be growing into the job.
                  the schedule is a jumbled mess...twistie..twistie, oval oval..twistie..twistie..oval oval. etc etc so on and so forth.

when he gets the fact the racing is suffering and actually does something, or puts someone in charge that knows what end is up, then he is just the pharoah who doenst know. ( and Im not talking cotman either, who leave a lot to be desired anyway....)
                  he actually thinks hes working with bruton??? hehehehe smith doesnt work with anyone, you work around him and when hes done with the ICS, wheres that leave the series?
                  all eggs in one basket doesnt seem to smart. but Im sure all the JCL's will tell us all is well and if we dont like it, leave.
                  There are plenty of facts to prove your drivel wrong, but it would be akin to hitting a drunk - why bother?

Randy Bernard is doing better than anybody has in over 20 years.

Comment

Whoa! ..... I thought it was a good article, but then again, I'm over it.

porscheman
                    @porscheman121 on Twitter #+200HP!
                    237.498/241.428/242.333 Speeds from the olden days!

Comment

Originally posted by Turn13 View Post
                      She probably will.
                      It really lives up to expectations. Even the man in charge of eliminating the monicker "IRL" isn't immune to it.

Now we have some insight as to why the marketing and PR departments are ineffectual.

I really loathe the fact that incompetent Randy lets this stuff happen.

As for the article, it doesn't actually show that RB has been effectual at much. He has eliminated some races but I've seen little improvement in attendance at the remaining venues. And he states a 26% improvement in viewership, but that is accomplished with fuzzy logic.
                      "I have been bored out of my skull by slower racing." - Turn13

Comment

Originally posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
                        It really lives up to expectations. Even the man in charge of eliminating the monicker "IRL" isn't immune to it.

Now we have some insight as to why the marketing and PR departments are ineffectual.

As for the article, it doesn't actually show that RB has been effectual at much. He has eliminated some races but I've seen little improvement in attendance at the remaining venues. And he states a 26% improvement in viewership, but that is accomplished with fuzzy logic.
                        God.....can you go a week with out beating the same damn dead horse? I'm sure the writer didn't say that IRL will be in the title to randy and Randy never said it once. How is this PR or randy's problem? this didn't come out of the series.
                        In the IZOD IndyCar series we're just kids enjoy the thrills in a 200 MPH candy store.

Comment

You seem to loathe most aspects of the series. At least the ones you comment on, anyway

Brian's Wish

Comment

Seriously? How blind are you? Randy is laying what's called a foundation. Its not very sexy, not very cool, but its really damned important. I never understand why people such as you, hdolan, Paff, BadassZ06 want to come to trackforum when you obviously dislike the series so much. You guys never say anything positive. I'm not saying the series isn't open to criticism but my god we've had more momentum in the last 7 months than in the last 15 years combined and a group of you still ***** and moan. Get over it!!!! The split is over, peace reigns, and now a very long rebuilding process begins. If you don't like it don't watch the product or support the product. But if you're doing that don't come here and rip the series and describe how inept management is when you yourself don't have the 1st clue how to run a series!!!!

I watch NASCAR occasionally but for the most part have washed my hands of it as a motorsport. Guess what? I don't go on their forums and ***** how much NASCAR sucks. If all your going to say is negative things don't come here.
                            I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
                              Seriously? How blind are you? Randy is laying what's called a foundation. Its not very sexy, not very cool, but its really damned important. I never understand why people such as you, hdolan, Paff, BadassZ06 want to come to trackforum when you obviously dislike the series so much. You guys never say anything positive. I'm not saying the series isn't open to criticism but my god we've had more momentum in the last 7 months than in the last 15 years combined and a group of you still ***** and moan. Get over it!!!! The split is over, peace reigns, and now a very long rebuilding process begins. If you don't like it don't watch the product or support the product. But if you're doing that don't come here and rip the series and describe how inept management is when you yourself don't have the 1st clue how to run a series!!!!

I watch NASCAR occasionally but for the most part have washed my hands of it as a motorsport. Guess what? I don't go on their forums and ***** how much NASCAR sucks. If all your going to say is negative things don't come here.
                              See, the problem with having people on your ignore list is, when other people quote them, you're forced to see their "opinion" anyway. They should upgrade the forum software to fix that bug...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X