New fans = caring who wins + spectacle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New fans = caring who wins + spectacle

Yah for us hard core long term fans we apprecieate little things like Penske vs Ganassi and who is American who is not. But for new fans I think the only way to get their attention is to either have drivers or brands they car about (Danica or Chevy vs. Ford) or have a spectacle (crashes, crazy finish, night race on street course, New track records that looks fast or insane on TV, diverse, fast, attention getting, looking cars). Since IndyCar is basically stating for scratch (sans the Indy 500) I don't see established drivers or brands comming soon. Thus the series need to creat spectacle. I suggest New track records but anything to get clips on sportscenter or has people in the stands leaving with a sense that they saw somthing special will help.

Originally posted by KEX2 View Post
    Yah for us hard core long term fans we apprecieate little things like Penske vs Ganassi and who is American who is not. But for new fans I think the only way to get their attention is to either have drivers or brands they car about (Danica or Chevy vs. Ford) or have a spectacle (crashes, crazy finish, night race on street course, New track records that looks fast or insane on TV, diverse, fast, attention getting, looking cars). Since IndyCar is basically stating for scratch (sans the Indy 500) I don't see established drivers or brands comming soon. Thus the series need to creat spectacle. I suggest New track records but anything to get clips on sportscenter or has people in the stands leaving with a sense that they saw somthing special will help.
    I didn't care much for most of what you had to say, but I do think you brought up a good point about running a street course at night. I'm sure the logistics would be hell but I bet that would get some attention if it were on network TV. The only street race run at night that I can think of is the Singapore GP.
    There's only one 500 that matters, and it isn't in Florida in February.

Comment

I liked the night race because it looked like a spectacle. the cars looked faster the course lit up compared to the dark background. everything sparkled. thats one way to make a spectacle.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrettiFan89 View Post
        I didn't care much for most of what you had to say, but I do think you brought up a good point about running a street course at night. I'm sure the logistics would be hell but I bet that would get some attention if it were on network TV. The only street race run at night that I can think of is the Singapore GP.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe CCWS ran at night on one of it's street courses. It made little difference.

The most immediate impact would be for a couple high profile NASCAR guys to come over or for Madonna to start a team.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerRamjet View Post
          Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe CCWS ran at night on one of it's street courses. It made little difference.

The most immediate impact would be for a couple high profile NASCAR guys to come over or for Madonna to start a team.
          Is it safe for me to suggest that DW Concept cars running w/ the traditionals could have such a visual impact?
          "Factually Unfounded Opinion" Rep. Elijah Cummings
          "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

The most immediate impact would be for a couple high profile NASCAR guys to come over or for Katy Perry/Stephen Colbert to start a team.

Madonna is so last century.

P.S. The only things that "look fast on TV" are things that are actually not fast (at least on pavement ) like wheelspin and tail-wagging oversteer. "New track records" don't look any different on TV (even in HD) than 20 mph under the track records. Besides, the aero downforce that makes for track records (faster through turns) makes for lousy racing as the cars can't race in the turbulence created.
            "Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob." - Federalist 55
            “My first reaction as a race car driver was to jump out of the car and use the Foyt technique of driver development - grab him and pound some sense into him.”
            "Make way. I'm Reaganing."

Comment

Originally posted by Lemming51 View Post
              The most immediate impact would be for a couple high profile NASCAR guys to come over or for Katy Perry/Stephen Colbert to start a team.

Madonna is so last century.

P.S. The only things that "look fast on TV" are things that are actually not fast (at least on pavement ) like wheelspin and tail-wagging oversteer. "New track records" don't look any different on TV (even in HD) than 20 mph under the track records. Besides, the aero downforce that makes for track records (faster through turns) makes for lousy racing as the cars can't race in the turbulence created.
              noted.

fenderless has the same idea that some of the owners do. Yes, I think the DW would have some impact. Good point

Comment

noted.

fenderless has the same idea that some of the owners do. Yes, I think the DW would have some impact. Good point
                Yes, we need the Delta Wing NOW. Just to show everybody that the new Izod Indy Car Series is important.

Comment

New track records do not make for exciting TV. Just watch de Ferran's record. It just looks like he's on a Sunday drive. Even Paul Page noted it didn't look all that fast on the broadcast.

Besides, IndyCar already has a visually appealing product on ovals. Cars running wheel to wheel, sparks flying, the cars just zip from one lane to the next. All that looks great on TV. The road/street courses really need the most work. The tracks look bad and the cars look slow.
                  Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you.

http://twitter.com/WhateverJoel

Comment

Originally posted by race chaser View Post
                    Yes, we need the Delta Wing NOW. Just to show everybody that the new Izod Indy Car Series is important.
                    For the life of me, i dont understand why everyone is missing the boat here. We dont need a ridiculous stage presence. You people overthink everything literally. We dont need celebrities, we dont need gimmicks (we already have the dumb ixod car starting races with the field) what we need is good product with good venues and good promotion... thats it, sales are a yes/no question... we have had so many "no's" that we all think we need to either jump ship or do something stupid to inflict an interest on people. Just do what you do, and they will come back trust me...

To get back on subject here, night street races are sexy and its not a gimmick. It is a neat event. The cars shine as they fly down the streets. Singapore is a cool race and honestly the only Champ Car race i watched was the Houston night race when CCWS had it. I actually loved the track and the event. It was really neat and if they had more cars (and/or Indycar Series) it would have been a real awesome event with more competition and what/not... what would make it even more interesting is if it rained with a night race on the streets... talk about racing publicity with no stupid gimmicks, just good hard racing in tough conditions...

Comment

Originally posted by race chaser View Post
                      I'm not sure three wheel cars would work so well.......

-cap
                      Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you.

http://twitter.com/WhateverJoel

Comment

Originally posted by KEX2 View Post
                        Since IndyCar is basically stating for scratch (sans the Indy 500)...
                        In what way is Indycar starting from scratch without the Indy 500?
                        "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by INDY500FAN13 View Post
                          For the life of me, i dont understand why everyone is missing the boat here. We dont need a ridiculous stage presence. You people overthink everything literally. We dont need celebrities, we dont need gimmicks (we already have the dumb ixod car starting races with the field) what we need is good product with good venues and good promotion... thats it, sales are a yes/no question... we have had so many "no's" that we all think we need to either jump ship or do something stupid to inflict an interest on people. Just do what you do, and they will come back trust me...

To get back on subject here, night street races are sexy and its not a gimmick. It is a neat event. The cars shine as they fly down the streets. Singapore is a cool race and honestly the only Champ Car race i watched was the Houston night race when CCWS had it. I actually loved the track and the event. It was really neat and if they had more cars (and/or Indycar Series) it would have been a real awesome event with more competition and what/not... what would make it even more interesting is if it rained with a night race on the streets... talk about racing publicity with no stupid gimmicks, just good hard racing in tough conditions...
                          If you think the DW is a gimick then there are many who disagree with you.

If the thing turned out to be a piece of racing junk your point is well taken, but there are many who were/sre involved in the project who think differently.

Was Paul Newman a gimmick? David Letterman?
                          A few celebrities don't hurt.

Staying the course is tough and for purists I agree with you but these are tough times

Comment

Champ Car conducted the Cleveland Grand Prix at Burke Lakefront airport under the Musco lights in +/- 2003. It was unique, but I not sure it increased the crowd

Comment

If you think the DW is a gimick then there are many who disagree with you.

If the thing turned out to be a piece of racing junk your point is well taken, but there are many who were/sre involved in the project who think differently.

Was Paul Newman a gimmick? David Letterman?
                              A few celebrities don't hurt.

Staying the course is tough and for purists I agree with you but these are tough times
                              I wasnt even talking about the DW. I dont care what car is out there to be honest. In a perfect world there would be about 5 different ones out there...

Youre right, Paul Newman and David Letterman werent gimmicks, but getting someone like Katy Perry or something is really lame...

The Indy 500 was really good about being lame pulling gimmicks in the 90s... Steven Tyler ruining the National Anthem, and a bunch of non-deserving pace-car drivers... Last Year? Wasnt it the lady from Sportscenter? No one even remembers her..when they had Morgan Freeman and interesting people it is fine. (hence David Letterman Paul Newman) who actually have a love for the sport..

But going in a direction of wanting ridiculous entertainment "stars" who are nothing i would even want my daughter to even laugh at...

Where its at is when you take a child to the track and the Indy 500 parade and hold up Sarah Fisher signs (which we did) and Sarah ended up taking a picture of us rather than us taking a picture of her...

NASCAR has it right... it IS about the fans... but when you are pulling gimmicks and nonsense, why would a fan want to join in on it?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X