Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting development in the Lotus/Formula 1 saga

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interesting development in the Lotus/Formula 1 saga

    I just saw a news article about the Proton group, which owns Group Lotus, and they're disputing Tony Fernandes' use of the name 'Team Lotus'. They are claiming that they are the only true holder of the name and anybody else who tries to use the name will be met with resistance. (paraphrased)

    http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...D=388732&FS=F1

    Should be interesting to see how this develops, especially as how Group Lotus seems to be aligning itself with the IndyCar series for the future.
    Faster...Faster...Faster...I know it, you know it, that's all that matters!

  • #2
    Good. Having two "Lotus"es was confusing. There should only be one regardless of whether they go racing in F1, IndyCar, or not.

    Comment


    • #3
      Many are speculating that this means that Lotus Cars/Proton could be looking to enter F1 themselves (see http://forums.autosport.com/index.ph...=120503&st=840, for example). Could this mean that they won't be focusing on IndyCar after all? It seems just a couple days ago we were hearing that they were stepping away from F1...

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm not sure how they could get into F1? Hasn't Bernie locked down new entries?
        "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

        Comment


        • #5
          They have thrown might behind ART, a GP2 team. I believe ART was one of the teams that initially was bidding to be the 13th team added to the grid this year, but they ended up withdrawing their bid....

          Maybe Proton/Lotus rightly think they will be able to buy HRT or Virgin before 2011 kicks off....

          Another article i read a few days ago says that they were aggressively defending their brand name as they wanted to go into market in the US racing scene.

          Comment


          • #6
            The USA is a big market for Lotus Cars. I wouldn't worry too much about them leaving IndyCars for Formula One. Dany Bahar wants to make Lotus Cars like Scuderia Ferrari. That is fast, sexy, heritage, open wheel and sports cars. IndyCar seems like the perfect fit for their USA marketingplan, just like Formula One with ART Grand Prix and European GT4 Championship in Europe and worldwide.

            I would like to see Group Lotus work together with 1Malaysia Racing, but I guess that's not happening anymore with the civil war going on there. Too bad, it was a great opportunity for Group Lotus to get hold of a Formula One team and the Team Lotus brand. A much better chance than take legal action and bully 1Malaysia Racing.
            MotorRacingblog.nl | Kwaliteitsblog

            Comment


            • #7
              So... this is admittedly of minor interest to me, but why is it I get the feeling that all Fernandez needs to do is agree to use a "Toyota" engine, and they'll all be buddies again, and Fernandez' team would be the official Lotus team. After all, he's the one with a spot on the grid.

              Is he that determined to use a Renault?
              My guardian angel, she wears a hard hat.

              Comment


              • #8
                No it really is about the Team Lotus name. Group Lotus has been after it for years, since as early as the mid 90's. David Hunt never sold the name/company to them and has been sitting on it ever since. Ofcourse, there are many better and easier solutions for this disagreement than what is going on now, but what else would you expect with Dany Bahar as CEO of Group Lotus?
                MotorRacingblog.nl | Kwaliteitsblog

                Comment


                • #9
                  1 Malaysia team F1 has been caught or charged with stealing IP from another team thru a windtunnel. I believe that's the reason Lotus wants to distance itself from them.
                  Faster...Faster...Faster...I know it, you know it, that's all that matters!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TexRacer View Post
                    1 Malaysia team F1 has been caught or charged with stealing IP from another team thru a windtunnel. I believe that's the reason Lotus wants to distance itself from them.
                    See: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100602/F1/100609978

                    The lawsuit has never really progressed, though, and by most accounts the main dispute was between Force India and the wind tunnel company. This is almost certainly not the reason for what's going on now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TexRacer View Post
                      I just saw a news article about the Proton group, which owns Group Lotus, and they're disputing Tony Fernandes' use of the name 'Team Lotus'. They are claiming that they are the only true holder of the name and anybody else who tries to use the name will be met with resistance. (paraphrased)

                      http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...D=388732&FS=F1

                      Should be interesting to see how this develops, especially as how Group Lotus seems to be aligning itself with the IndyCar series for the future.
                      Interesting? It's been ruled on before. Group Lotus never had the rights to the Team Lotus name. For some reason they seem to be confused about it.
                      "It takes a special level of incompetance to make a schedule this terrible. America is possibly the greatest country in the world overall for tracks. To make a bad schedule in America takes effort. A special kind of effort. A kind of effort that only IndyCar could come up with."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Group Lotus/Proton, Lotus Racing/1MalaysiaRacing, Team Lotus/David Hunt. Three very seperate entities although the first two have the Malaysian government as primary shareholders. Hope that clears it up.

                        Porscheman
                        @porscheman121 on Twitter #+200HP!
                        237.498/241.428/242.333 Speeds from the olden days!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Lotus Motorsport just released an announcement about their future motorsport activities. IndyCar racing is getting lucky and will have 2 Lotus cars on track next season and work will start soon with the development of the 2012 bodywork and chassis, whatever that chassis may be. Also loads of news about sports car racing and other cool stuff like grassroots racing facilities in Norfolk and around the world (two of those will be situated in the USA in the next few years).

                          So yeh, I would say that Lotus is pretty commited to IndyCars Here's the full press release: http://www.forumf1.nl/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=722#p24335
                          MotorRacingblog.nl | Kwaliteitsblog

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by porscheman View Post
                            Group Lotus/Proton, Lotus Racing/1MalaysiaRacing, Team Lotus/David Hunt. Three very seperate entities although the first two have the Malaysian government as primary shareholders. Hope that clears it up.

                            Porscheman
                            The Malaysian government is not an investor in the F1 team.

                            Spike
                            "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Miguel View Post
                              Lotus Motorsport just released an announcement about their future motorsport activities. IndyCar racing is getting lucky and will have 2 Lotus cars on track next season and work will start soon with the development of the 2012 bodywork and chassis, whatever that chassis may be. Also loads of news about sports car racing and other cool stuff like grassroots racing facilities in Norfolk and around the world (two of those will be situated in the USA in the next few years).

                              So yeh, I would say that Lotus is pretty commited to IndyCars Here's the full press release: http://www.forumf1.nl/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=722#p24335
                              Ok so then the question becomes, is this a new 2 car team or an expansion of that at KV racing?
                              Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X