TV Coverage: Which Would You Prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Coverage: Which Would You Prefer?

I was curious as to what TFers enjoy more, pre-race coverage or post-race.
    More time spent on pre-race coverage, less on post-race
    19.00%
    More time spent on post-race coverage, less on pre-race
    27.00%
    Equal split between pre-race and post-race
    54.00%
    RIP Daniel Clive Wheldon, 2005 & 2011 Indianapolis 500 Champion

Easily pre-race. I like the build-up. But unless there is some contreversy I just want to see the updated standings and go on to something else. I've rarely even watched the post race interview of the winner.

Comment

Pre-race. By the time the race is over, I'm spent. I, too, like the build-up and anticipation.
      IndyCar Advocate: A blog about enjoying the best sport in the world! Stop on by!
      --
      On Twitter as @indycaradvocate

Comment

I like ~45 minutes of coverage around the race. Say 30 minutes of pre-race, where they build some suspense and cover the story lines, and 15 minutes of post-race where they interview the winner and a few other notable finishers. Just enough so it's not like the race goes dark as the leader crosses the line. Gets a few sponsors on the air, too.
        Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Comment

If they were to take an hour and split it up before and after, I'd say 40 min before, and 20 min after would be my happy spot. I really enjoy hearing from as many drivers after the race as they can fit in. Plus it gives their sponsors more TV time, because almost all the drivers appear pre-race as well.
          Proud fan of Helio Castroneves - 4 TIME INDIANAPOLIS 500 Winner 🏆

Comment

I didn't vote because I think its just right how it currently is....besides the post race could never come out the same time anyway...

Comment

That's a tough one to answer for me considering the current state of the sport.

In a perfect world there would be some really bitter rivalries and drivers would actually speak their minds instead of the corporate drivel we are subjected to. If that were the case I would prefer more time spent on the post race because guys that are pissed and hot under the collar tend to run their mouth's when a camera is stuck in front of them. And with a proper interview even more can be pulled from them. That creates drama, passion, interest, fuels the rivalry and competitiveness, creates some excitement. Gives us all reason to watch the next race.

You don't get any of that in a pre race interview. The previous race has long come and gone and cooler heads typically prevail. The pre race simply becomes an opportunity to remind us all of what transpired the previous race. Give us a bit of a lead in and ideally build a bit of anticipation by getting a little taste of what drivers might be thinking or planning.

We don't have any of that though. It's a big giant love fest out there with everybody being pals and all. And well, the way Barhart runs things its pretty hard for there to be any mishaps or reasons for people to be pissing off one and other.

So given that, I guess I'll vote for more pre race coverage, but the pre race coverage I want to see is coverage that builds and promotes who these drivers are. Introduce these drivers to the fan base, create relationships between the fans and the drivers. Give fans a reason to follow these guys. Pit interviews and sitting down with Lindy isn't going to do that. We need video segments that take us away from the track, behind the scenes, into the shops and trailers and homes of these guys. The sort of stuff Jack has been shooting like the Ganassi Penske interview, but more of it and more indepth. Build connections.
              "Try some of these before or after your statements if you are not presenting them as facts. Things like - "In my opinion", or "I think that", JHMO, IMHO, IMO, JMO... Your opinions are not (necessarily) fact. That would clear things up some." - Seadog 03/25/2010 11:40am So the above is JMO.

Comment

I don't mind a lot of Pre Race but it should be a seperate program on the DVR and planning
                You cannot wrangle chaos. You can only try to plan for it.

Comment

For an informed fan...... 10 min pre-race and a half hour after
                  For a casual observer ..... half hour pre-race and 10 minutes after

It's all you need

Comment

I prefer more pre-race than post-race. There's plenty of stuff that can fill a pre-race show for both hard-core and casual fans to lead into a race. That said I do believe that at the minimum there should be 15 minutes post-race but with a good pre-race show more than 15 minutes is going to be hard to fill or keep people interested.
                    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

I voted equal. But, there is nothing much said after the race unless something special happened. Otherwise, ""Oh, the car was good, and I want to thank..."

I think I would like to have someone speak after the race, that was not part of the broadcasting team, comment on the race, good, bad or ugly.

Comment

Why not less prerace, more race, less postrace?

I mean, that's what I tune in for. The rest is fluff.
                        "I have been bored out of my skull by slower racing." - Turn13

Comment

Originally posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
                          Why not less prerace, more race, less postrace?

I mean, that's what I tune in for. The rest is fluff.
                          While not wanting to purposely derail this thread & topic, I think there's something to be said with that. It seems that there are an awful lot of commercial breaks during the race. Reviewing the Chicago race Vs. went to a commercial break on average every 6-7 minutes during green flag racing.
                          ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

On the pre race I'd like them to have something to say about what to expect in the race. What's the fuel window, how many stops to be made, and then some information on what new things have been implemented in the sport. On the post race, talk to more than just the top five, did anyone have something unusiual happen during the race, did someone's strategy pay off, then talk about what things are being considered for the upcoming races, next season etc.

I think Jack Arute's time as pit host or whatever he's doing is past it's life expectancy. Make him a pit reporter or get rid of him. Jack has too much time to do a monologue, rambles on too much and doesn't ad lib very well. I appreciate that Jack loves the sport but he's wrong for what hes doing.
                            "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                            "They're criminals"
                            "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Honestly, less of both. There is little of interest to see in either part. The victory circle "celebration" is the worst kind of contrived excitement in sports today. The pre-race has become a giant over-compensation for the espn "pick up as they go green" production.

They need to pick up coverage when the drivers are in the cars. Interview the drivers before you go live and consider replaying one of the interviews if anybody manages to say something insightful or interesting.

Has anybody noticed that Bernard keeps saying he doesn't want any longer races because the audience doesn't have the time or the attention span to watch a long event? If that's the case then why does he think they've got the time and attention span to watch an hour of filler before the green flag?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X