Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MILLER: Bullrings To The Brickyard - Short track drivers briefly ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MILLER: Bullrings To The Brickyard - Short track drivers briefly ...

Holding the title of USAC midget, sprint or dirt car champion has meant different things throughout the past six decades. If you wore No. 1 in the �50s, �60s and �70s, it was usually an automatic ticket to the Indianapolis 500 and the big car circuit, as it was called.

In the 1990s, that mantra opened the door to stock cars and became a pipeline to NASCAR.

For the past few years it’s simply continued to be a badge of honor for the best racing on four wheels in North America but a tough way to earn a living.

“If you count all your expenses, travel and insurance for 100 races it works out to about $5 an hour,â€‌ cracked Levi Jones, the three-time sprint champ from Olney. Ill.

Considering he runs about 100 races a year, Jones was closer to the truth than you might think and that’s why Kevin Miller and Randy Bernard are trying to help raise the payout and profile for a successful USAC driver.

USAC president Miller has introduced a new category: the USAC Driver’s Championship for his three divisions with $40,000 going to the winner, in addition to series points funds and purse payouts through the year.

By comparison, Jones earned a little less than $40,000 in ’09 for taking the sprint crown.

“I was embarrassed when I heard that figure for Levi so we were able to come up with this chance to reward the guys who excel and have been loyal to our ....

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...the-brickyard/
    http://thepurginglutheran.wordpress.com/

http://thegatwickview.tumblr.com/

http://thepurginglutheran.tumblr.com/

Would love to see some USAC sprinters get a shot, as would love to see some SCCA guys too. American Dream. There's certainly a lot of talent in USAC.
    And don't forget the heat!

Comment

Maybe they should take that 40 grand and promote their series to the general/casual racing person.... I can't name 5 guys in the sprints or midgees.
      Track Fifedom

Wheldon is a legend now. One of the immortal Gods of Speed.

Comment

Nothing is stopping the guy from going to the paddock and knocking on doors.

Comment

Originally posted by millrace View Post
          Nothing is stopping the guy from going to the paddock and knocking on doors.
          you mean other than the long line of established drivers that are out of work?

Comment

$40k - that'll buy you two races with a backmarker Indy Lights team or one with a good team - I guess that might be a start.

Comment

Good to see the that the IICS leader...GETS IT
              "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

Comment

Why doesn't he (Bernard) spends time finding solutions to how drivers such as JR Hildebrand, Conor Daly and Joel Miller can get a full time IndyCar ride. These drivers are used to the kind of OW cars that we race today, the USAC drivers aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by TUBORG-fan View Post
                  Why doesn't he (Bernard) spends time finding solutions to how drivers such as JR Hildebrand, Conor Daly and Joel Miller can get a full time IndyCar ride. These drivers are used to the kind of OW cars that we race today, the USAC drivers aren't.
                  I'm sure that Bernard is working on both... because we need both
                  "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

Comment

I'm sure cost would be too much of an issue, but with all the testing restrictions there's certainly enough time for the top USF2000/Star Mazda/Indy Lights folks to run some USAC races. If you want to develop future stars while getting USAC fans interested, that'd be the better route to take over the long haul.

I'm sure there's at least a couple of the USAC drivers who could be be really good road racers with enough test time but they're never going to get enough seat time to develop in the current environment (and then running karts and Skip Barber, etc isn't an option with where their careers are).

I suppose the Levi Jones of the world might be able to put together an ovals-only package but if someone's going to only run half a season they're likely not going to turn into the attendance and tv ratings draw you need to grow the sport.

Comment

Some misconception here, the $40K is being paid by USAC. Randy Bernard is working on something that is far more than 40K, when he talks about Lights ride for all oval races. As for Hildebrand, he's looking at the ICS level, which is far more expensive than Lights. Also, Joel Miller, while I hope he gets a shot, is someone with I'd say incomplete credentials and Conor Daly is going to F1.
                      "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

I would like to see a way to open the door from USAC to the FIL series for any driver who is interested.

The sole issue is the money. If Randy Bernard thinks he can find the funding for even one driver to get that shot, he should be all over it. This isn't a new out of the blue idea but no one else has been able to put together the money. So where is he going to find that money that no one else has been able to?

We are led to believe that Randy has people keeping up with TF. Well I actually sent an idea to Randy, not once but twice, with a program that would fit in exactly with what he is attempting to accomplish with USAC and getting more American drivers to the FIL series. Got no response. That's why when I hear that he's listening to the fans, I don't believe it.

What I do believe is that Randy has managed to mute the major critic he had to overcome, namely Robin Miller. By listening to Miller and stating his intentions to work on things that Miller has long harped on he gets RM on his side so that he can proceed without much criticsm. It's not that he has to have any success at these things, they don't have to work or advance the series in any way but it keeps the lone reporter covering the sport who will rip on him from doing so and makes his life, not necessarily his job, easier.
                        "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                        "They're criminals"
                        "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by Heath Hamilton View Post
                          Maybe they should take that 40 grand and promote their series to the general/casual racing person.... I can't name 5 guys in the sprints or midgees.
                          The USAC drivers can't help it if you pay no attention to the best racing on the planet. Not too many fans knew whom these IndyCar drivers were before they got there either. I knew about guys like Carpenter, Fisher, Hornish, Wheldon et al because I do pay attention to USAC. Maybe it would behoove you to broaden your obsevations a little. Because it looks like some of these USAC guys may get a shot with IndyCar.

I am pretty much a diehard USAC & IndyCar fan. Nothing else in the sports world really matters to me.
                          Gregg Sebald

Comment

Originally posted by Seadog View Post
                            The USAC drivers can't help it if you pay no attention to the best racing on the planet. Not too many fans knew whom these IndyCar drivers were before they got there either. I knew about guys like Carpenter, Fisher, Hornish, Wheldon et al because I do pay attention to USAC. Maybe it would behoove you to broaden your obsevations a little. Because it looks like some of these USAC guys may get a shot with IndyCar.

I am pretty much a diehard USAC & IndyCar fan. Nothing else in the sports world really matters to me.
                            When did Hornish run USAC? The way I remember it he came through karts and Atlantics. And I don't recall Wheldon running at Salem either.
                            It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by midtown View Post
                              When did Hornish run USAC? The way I remember it he came through karts and Atlantics. And I don't recall Wheldon running at Salem either.
                              Hornish and Wheldon both ran with in F2000 when USAC sanctioned it. I saw them with my own eyes at IRP at the Nite B4 race back when. There are more, I'm sure, I just can't remember them right now.
                              Gregg Sebald

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X