Memories of the 1967 STP Turbine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memories of the 1967 STP Turbine

Please share your recollections and personal photos if you were fortunate to see
    Parnelli Jones pilot the STP turbine around the great Indianapolis Motor Speedway

I was there and I seem to recall Johnny Carson piloting it later in the year as well, but I was only ten and my memories are sadly indistinct. Seems like what you heard as it approached was just the rubber on the pavement. I suspect sharper minds will contradict me soon, and I welcome that
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

I saw the Lotus wedge turbine at Hanford Speedway in California - guess that doesn't count!

Comment

Close enough.

Comment

I recall playing Wii and piloting the STP turbine around the track at very fast speeds.

Comment

I saw the turbine with Parnelli Jones at The Milwaukee Mile. My immediate thought that if all the owners converted to the turbine, it would be the death nell of open wheel racing in the U.S. The car made almost no sound, I could only describe it as a vacuum cleaner. I heard it during its solo run in qualifying. In the race, the other cars made the noise, but, once in a while the turbine would come by by itself.

--

Just found this, there used to be a better one, from Michigan Speedway race car show. But, it does have the turbine on the track. Near the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71spG9NMhM

--
            Last edited by NoviVespa; 09-20-2010, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Saw the Lotus wedge turbine run at Phoenix in 1968. Both cars showed up, one broke and only one ran the race. I think Pollard ran and Joe Leonard sat out, but I'm not sure. I do remember the woosh sound as it went by. I did NOT like the sound one bit and was glad when they were regulated to be non-competitive. I really like innovation and they were awesome cars, but I like the sound of a cammer Ford with the trumpets or a turbo Offy much better! I still remember heading south on 115th Ave. I'd roll the window down on my Dad's Chevy Pickup and we could hear those darn Fords echoing off the mountains when we were still a couple of miles from the track. Best sound I've ever heard in my life.

Comment

I have always said that they should put playing cards on every wheel, ala bicycle, to make them sound louder.

There was a comment by Parnelli Jones after driving the turbine car. He said that he did not know that U-Joints made so much noise.

Comment

[QUOTE=Turn13;2428969]I was there and I seem to recall Johnny Carson piloting it later in the year as well, but I was only ten and my memories are sadly indistinct. Seems like what you heard as it approached was just the rubber on the pavement. I suspect sharper minds will contradict me soon, and I welcome that You are correct sir! There's a picture of Karnak behind the wheel of Silent Sam on page 173 of Andrew Ferguson's book Team Lotus the Indianapolis Years. I guess Carson drove fairly fast

Comment

There was no mechnical sound to the car. I just made this whooosh sound as it passed. This sound came from the engine exhaust.

Comment

Re: Carson

Comment

Originally posted by rodneyh View Post
                        You should have said - Heeeeeere's Johnny! Da da da da da duhduhduhduhduhduh.

I was about 15 at the time. One thing I recall was the tire noise and the crowd cheers could be heard over the turbine engine. But boy, it was cool and different and a real crowd pleaser. Rufus should have won it that day and I for one would have preferred that over the guy that did win that day. JMO.

On edit: I'm not saying I'm not an A J fan, but Parnelli deserved to win it.
                        Gregg Sebald

Comment

It may have been legislated out of existence by USAC, but it was clearly the future. The harbinger of all the turbine cars we have on the highways today.
                          Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

The car was deathly quiet. You could hear the rubber screaming in the turns, over the exhaust note.
                            The car also had an air brake panel (ala the Mecerdies 300SL's at LeMans).
                            There was SO much contraversy by the other drivers and owners at the time.
                            The car was examined by EVERYBODY to see what they could complain about before it qualified.
                            Mario complained that he couldn't see if the airbrake popped up in the turns, so they made Andy disconnect it for the race.
                            The airbrake was used because the car had virtually no engine compression slowdown when Parnelli lifted. The brakes
                            were all that slowed the car down.
                            IIRC, if the qualifing speeds were 160, Carson drove it around 140. Apparently, with the four wheel drive, the car was pretty easy to drive in that range.
                            I remember one of the owners saying after qualifing that you were looking at over a million dollars worth of junk when you looked at the field of starters.

ZOOOM
                            "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
                            James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Comment

I saw the second generation cars run at Milwaukee. One of them had a wheel come off in the South Turn where I was sitting and thumped the wall.

They were very quiet in qualifying, just tire and wind noise in the turn. Very cool cars. Competetive at Milwaukee too.

I also saw Indy on closed circuit TV in a theater, I can't remember which year was the second generation cars. One of the cars had it in the bag until right at the end when it failed.

For an all oval series the turbine would make a lot of sense. Expensive to buy but long lifetime. I bet they'd be cheaper long term. A lot of people would find them boring because they are quiet. I am not sure, I would have to see a race of all turbine cars to decide.

mk
                              Racing: there is no substitute.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X