Dollars and Cents: a comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dollars and Cents: a comparison

So, Doug Barnette, who does the sponsorship stuff for Geico, for both Nascar and IndyCar, was on Facebook today, saying he needs another 8 million for 1/2 a season in Nascar.
    So that leads me to believe that a midpack or worse team in Nascar needs 16 million to run 1 car for 36 races? Even if the car got 30 seconds per race of TV time, is that a good deal?
    Wow, that could fund a top notch 2 car IndyCar team for a whole year.

NASCAR's exposure is much, much bigger than Indycar...... but yeah, that does seem like a heckuva lot of money to sponsor a car that is 43rd in the owner's points, though.
    "You couldn't find a car you liked in Germany?

No......I couldn't find a speed limit I liked in America."

Proud Fan of the IZOD Indycar World Series

Comment

Think of it like this ... NASCAR has about 10 Indy 500's.
      "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

Originally posted by mesquite View Post
        Think of it like this- don't ever say that again. Nascar can't hold a candle to the Indy 500 and never will.

Comment

think of it like this ... Nascar has about 10 indy 500's.

wtf.....!!!????

Comment

Absolutely. Millrace gets it. I know I won't be with Geico if 8 mill goes to nascar.
            Originally posted by millrace View Post
            Think of it like this- don't ever say that again. Nascar can't hold a candle to the Indy 500 and never will.

Comment

Do I get what you mean in that IndyCar has only one major race a year. Whereas, NASCAR has Daytona 500, Daytona 400, Brickyard 400, Taladega, Charlotte, etc. Major races, plus more.

Comment

do you?
                Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post
                Do I get what you mean in that IndyCar has only one major race a year. Whereas, NASCAR has Daytona 500, Daytona 400, Brickyard 400, Taladega, Charlotte, etc. Major races, plus more.

Comment

The attendance and viewership doesn't lie.

I'm not saying I like it.

Comment

That Geico car never gets on TV during a race, and they rarely qualify. They're wasting their money on NASCAR.
                    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Haha, what? Dude, wakeup. Nobody watches IndyCar, even the Indy 500. The Indy 500 got a 3.6 rating this year, an all time low. Lets compare that to Nascar's ratings this year. The following races had as many, or MORE viewers than the Indy 500:

Shootout
                      Daytona
                      California
                      Vegas
                      Atlanta
                      Bristol
                      Phoenix
                      Dega
                      Richmond
                      Darlington
                      Dover
                      Charlotte
                      2nd Daytona
                      Brickyard
                      Pocono
                      Watkins Glen
                      Michigan
                      2nd Atlanta

And thats with the summer run on TNT, which has far less viewers than the other broadcast partners.

So the question for an advertiser is this. To be the sole sponsor for a full season, on a chase team, is roughly $20m a year in Cup. Thats on the high end. $20m could also get you the sidepods on all three Penske IndyCars too.

So what will get more eyeballs? Three IndyCars, or one chase Cup team? The answer is the chase team, and thats why they are there. More than twice the total races of IndyCar, way more viewers, way better race attendance, way more additional free coverage (Sports Center, interview shows, etc) And thats why everyone is doing everything they can to slash car prices in IndyCar.

Comment

How many races did Max actually make this year? All that money Gieco spent and they didn't make it into that many races. You'd think they'd have pulled out by mid-season.
                        Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you.

http://twitter.com/WhateverJoel

Comment

Originally posted by jcmark611 View Post
                          How many races did Max actually make this year? All that money Gieco spent and they didn't make it into that many races. You'd think they'd have pulled out by mid-season.
                          It doesn't matter. More eyeballs see that Geico car in 2 laps of qualifying than watch an Indycar race. More fans in the stands at a single oval race that he makes than 4, 5 , or more IICS ovals.

It's the truth. It sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by jcmark611 View Post
                            How many races did Max actually make this year?
                            To date, 18 Sprint... 1 Nationwide... 5 Camping World...

Comment

Originally posted by No_Fenders View Post
                              It doesn't matter. More eyeballs see that Geico car in 2 laps of qualifying than watch an Indycar race. More fans in the stands at a single oval race that he makes than 4, 5 , or more IICS ovals.

It's the truth. It sucks.
                              I'd have trouble believing the NASCAR quals pull in more than a .03-.05.

Originally posted by use2know View Post
                              To date, 18 Sprint... 1 Nationwide... 5 Camping World...
                              Ahh... just found it on Wiki. "Papis ran 17 races in 2010, with 10 DNFs and 5 DNQs." (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germain_Racing) That's just for Cup though.

That's a ton of money for a car that spent most it's time in the garage.
                              Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you.

http://twitter.com/WhateverJoel

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X