Barnhart botches again??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnhart botches again??

I'm wondering what his explanation for the Briscoe/Dario pit pass is? Beekhuis pretty much called him out on the broadcast. If Briscoe was speeding, he gets a drive through. If he isn't, why was he put behind Dario? Was he officiating from stateside??
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Where was the proof that he was caught speeding?
    In the IZOD IndyCar series we're just kids enjoy the thrills in a 200 MPH candy store.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. My only thought would be that Beekhuis was looking at the wrong line. IIRC, Briscoe was ahead at the yellow line, but there was a white line before that, and he was still behind Franchitti when they crossed that one.
      RIP Daniel Clive Wheldon, 2005 & 2011 Indianapolis 500 Champion

Comment

Briscoe was ahead, no doubts about it.. but if he was speeding, the penalty is the end of the line, no questions asked. See Wheldon at Fontana 2005... although Dan was able to pass all those cars right back in about 2 laps

Barnhart's inconsistencies are growing tiresome. Maybe he DOES have the most thankless job in the series (although I think that the flagman doesn't get nearly enough credit ) but the bottom line is that he's not enforcing his own rules, and it's getting old. Put some no-bull stalwart like Cotman in charge and I guarantee you you'll start seeing changes. I honestly don't think Cotman is afraid of punishing the big two or calling them out on their BS such as Helio's pole day time stalling tactics.
        77 Forever - Rest in Peace Dan.

- @KBrughelli11
        - @AcrossTheBricks

"Life is too short to be consumed by the circumstances that make us sour." - Helio Castroneves

Comment

You all realize Al Unser Jr. helps make calls with BB along with Cotman right? Al has said he made the call with Brian on Helio.

Comment

Originally posted by gass View Post
            You all realize Al Unser Jr. helps make calls with BB along with Cotman right? Al has said he made the call with Brian on Helio.
            It really doesn't matter if Little Al, Robin Miller and doitagain are helping BB, ultimately it is his responsibility to get it right and be consistent.

Heck, BB to this day still can't give a coherent reason for Helio's black flag.
            "I have been bored out of my skull by slower racing." - Turn13

Comment

h
              Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Is the penalty for speeding on pit lane definitively a drive-through? Beekhuis made it sound like there was some discretion.

Either way, though, that was just weird. There are always going to be little calls and judgments that aren't worth making a big deal of them, but this had a pretty big impact on the finishing order, and possibly the championship, and it was pointed out on the broadcast. Once the announcers are pointing it out to the fans, there needs to be some sort of explanation.

If there IS some discretion, moving Briscoe back the spot isn't the craziest thing I've heard, since the speeding really only gained him the one position. But if that's the case, then tell us!
                Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

Comment

Tab, I'm pretty sure they have a written rule as to what the penalty is for speeding on pit lane. Under green, it's a drive through, under caution, there's no point in that so you go to the end of the line. I also don't remember seeing more than one line there. If that's the case, fine, otherwise, Briscoe should have been at the end of the line or no penalty. There's no room for random, free wheeling interpretation.
                  "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
                    There's no room for random, free wheeling interpretation.
                    Sure there is. Maybe BB told everyone in the driver's meeting that he would arbitrarily assess speeding penalties this weekend. He's made up the rules before, why should Motegi be exempt?.
                    "I have been bored out of my skull by slower racing." - Turn13

Comment

Anyone here consider that maybe race control had a camera on the line and used that to determine the order? As we saw a couple years ago (Dixon vs. Helio for the race win), the transponders can be incorrect at times. Nah, it couldn't be that simple, it has to be BB being a corrupt idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Luy View Post
                        I was wondering the same thing. My only thought would be that Beekhuis was looking at the wrong line. IIRC, Briscoe was ahead at the yellow line, but there was a white line before that, and he was still behind Franchitti when they crossed that one.
                        I think this may have something to do with it. There should be cones there signifying where the line is. Does anyone remember if they had seen them?
                        "I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark
                        " it only makes sense for the world's most prestigious fried chicken to pair up with the world's most prestigious watch brand" ---D. Byrd

Comment

Well, like Edmonton, the booth guys were not on site, and they had only Arute running around at the track, so they might not have had a chance to get an answer. But that caution period lasted for like 10 minutes, there was time. This is one area where there shouldn't be a grey area. Either you sped or you didn't, that's what the transponders are for. If you are not caught by timing, you shouldn't be penalized at all. When I saw the incident, it looked like Dario back off for a second to avoid another car and that allowed Briscoe a chance to shoot by him. So Ryan should have been given the spot. As for the line, I don't remember seeing two lines, and if there were, Jon would have said that. Plus you didn't need a track level camera to tell Briscoe was ahead. And I'm not saying BB is an idiot, I'm saying that again he makes decisions nobody can comprehend at the time, and the booth guys aren't aware of the obscure rules and the result is confusion to the viewer.

Comment

This seems pretty simple. Briscoe wasn't speeding so he wasn't given a drive-through. It was determined through various data points that race control had access to, that Jon didn't, Dario was in fact ahead of Briscoe at the end of pit lane.

Don't you think that with what was at stake, had Team Penske not been given a good explanation for why the order was left as it was, they'd be screaming bloody murder? Seriously, some of you need to release the tension on your tinfoil hats.

Comment

Data points? This is a problem for the series I think. When the booth and even the knowledgeable viewers have no idea what's going on, that's bad. The timing should be a painted white line on the track. Not some imaginary point or a cone. A white line. It doesn't have to be the last white line, as different series have different lines painted there, but it has to be a line. Again, I'm merely pointing something out the league should correct, I'm not calling for anybody's head.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X